NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 05-18-2017, 07:00 PM
Travis K

Default 1957 Topps Blank Backs?

I picked up a nice collection of vintage football cards ranging from 1954 - 1960. There are quite a few cards from 1957 Topps in EX shape on average. However, I came across a few cards from that set that appear to be hand cut and the backs are blank. Does anyone know what these are? I looked around and couldn't find any information on them. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (42).jpg (75.0 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by kemdawg; 06-14-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:43 AM
Jeff P

Could be Topps prototypes or someone's first attempt at forgery. Or maybe scraps from a damaged sheet?

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 05-19-2017 at 04:44 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:58 AM
Ben North

More than likely from a sheet that did not get printed on the back and someone cut it up. I know next to nothing about football but it is fairly common in baseball cards.

They could be prototypes but highly unlikely.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:42 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
More than likely from a sheet that did not get printed on the back and someone cut it up. I know next to nothing about football but it is fairly common in baseball cards.

They could be prototypes but highly unlikely.
Exactly. What I was calling "scraps" but maybe that's the wrong word. Very common in baseball.

jeff
Old 05-19-2017, 04:29 PM
Travis K

Thanks for the responses so far. I'll try to post pictures over the weekend to see if this will help figure this out.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:43 PM
Travis K

I have posted some pictures of the fronts and backs. I found four cards so far, but I still have more cards to sort through. These four clearly all came from the same "sheet" as they fit together like a puzzle. The strange part about this is that the outside edges seems to be perfectly cut (i.e. not hand cut) so it looks like it came from some type of advertising panel instead of an uncut sheet that was scrapped.

The only other thing I could tell you about these cards is that they came from the original collector who is now 70 years old. All the other '57's I've come across are completely normal - these four cards are the only ones that are different.

Any other insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:31 AM
Jeff P

To me the Pat Summerall doesn't look like it fits in the spot you've put it. While the cut is similar, nobody with a pair of scissors cutting "straight" is going to make the kind of cuts you see there.

I suspect that card if from the other side of an uncut sheet.

Regardless, very cool stuff! Thanks for posting these.

jeff
Old 05-25-2017, 12:41 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

They're scraps: hand cut from a sheet that was discarded for some reason. Could be appealing to collectors of printing mistakes and the like.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-04-2017, 12:20 PM
Carl Lamendola

Default 1957 Topps Blank Backs?

Here's something similar (1959), but not hand cut. Came from the Dreier CFL collection. I believe these were prototypes. Unfortunately, PSA wouldn't designated them. Possibly, slipped through the production process, but maybe an earlier test run before they decided to print the backs, who knows? Brian from BMW said he's seen a few others.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...FJnVTBQQ0dVcnM ;

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...FFzU19lYUZPYU0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by clamendo; 06-04-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:38 PM
Travis K

Thank you for the additional information. Does anyone have info on a what an uncut sheet from this set looks like? I am still intrigued about the way these fit together as they form what appears to be a full, six card sheet. I agree that the Summerall doesn't look like it fits from my picture, but I'm fairly confident it is part of the six when I'm looking at it in person. I didn't position it well when I took the picture. It would be interesting to see if these six cards are in the right position on a full, uncut sheet.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:31 PM
Travis K

I found yet another "piece of the puzzle" as I was going through the collection. The Bill Sherman card fits perfectly in the bottom/right of the panel. As with the other cards, the middle part is clearly hand cut, but the outside edges are very smooth. It really does seem these cards are from a six card sheet. I posted a new picture of the cards in the original post so everyone can see. The backs are blank.

I'm not convinced these are from a scrapped sheet as I've never heard of a six card sheet. I'm still curious if anyone has any pictures of a '57 Topps uncut sheet to see if these six cards are in the proper position on the sheet.

Any additional comments or feedback are welcome. Thanks again for everyone's comments so far!
Old 06-15-2017, 05:12 AM
Jeff P

Check out Mike Thomas's excellent site. He has been piecing together sheet images for years:

http://www.footballcardgallery.com/u...et/1957_Topps/

jeff