NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Default Joe Jackson WG6 Opinions

Posted By: Matt

[linked image]

I've spoken to a few board members I respect about this one offline and have hard conflicting opinions. It seems the image quality is that of an authentic card, which is usually a give-away on reprints, yet the corners exhibit the severe rounding seen on reprints. Authentic rounded corners were made by a special cutter that is not something reprinters would have easy access to, so unneven hand cut corners are usually the give away of a reprint.

Your thoughts?

for comparison:
Authentic Joe Jax (notice how the corners only round at the very end of the border):
[linked image]

rounded corners on reprint (notice that the corners begin curving parallel to the frame of the image and are uneven):
[linked image]

Old 11-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish

Looks fine to me. Very worn though. The SGC 20 corners do not look like the corners on the reprint you listed below. Nice card.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

It looks genuine but extremely worn. Authenticating from a scan, however, is not foolproof.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

show the card out of the slab and everyone will call it a reprint.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

It HAS to be real............

Old 11-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I haven't seen any fakes with the photo as crisp as that one posted, as I said a day or two ago.....It's always good to get second opinions. Until there are non-human grading companies some mistakes will be made.....From the scan I say it's good....

Old 11-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Matt, the card is definitely real. The problem is that this issue is usually found in relatively high grade without much discoloration -- so your example seems a bit different. But the fakes I have seen do not have images like yours.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

I think the card is real just really beat up. A back scan would help but the seller doesn't show one.

That being said I think it's really funny that you doubt the SGC 20 but that the PSA 7 IS authentic.

Didn't one of these show up in a PSA 7 that WAS a reprint?

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Administrator

James - why is it funny that I doubt the SGC 20 but not the PSA 7 - the PSA 7 has no questionable signs to it. Indeed there was a PSA 1 or 2 Joe Jax that was indeed a reprint some time back, but it had both the poor image quality and the severely rounded corners.
Not everything has an agenda - sometimes questions are just questions.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

Matt,

No agenda here though I have gotten and seen more PSA mistakes then SGC. The example I refer to was mid to high grade and in a legit PSA slab. It was offered on the BST and someone pointed out to the seller it was not real. I believe it was resolved with PSA in some manner.

My comment was more geared toward the fact that this is a mistake that PSA IMO is more likely and has made, rather then a beat up example in a SGC holder that is shown without a back scan.

It seems that the extra roundness to the corners is a result of age and not anything else. I think a either a scan of the back or a larger front scan would make this obvious.

I do not doubt that the PSA example shown is real, I just found it funny the way you worded it.

If this was a regular issue you would have just seem the rounded corners as what they are wear to the card.

Considering what the card is at and how "common" it is in high grade, I would expect it to sell for more then it should as it will be the cheapest playing era jackson card around.

Anyway, not picking on you, just felt the way it was worded was a bit funny.

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:29 AM
Administrator

No worries James.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Old 11-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

edited

Old 11-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Frank - you were convinced it was a reprint, but now changed your mind?

Old 11-11-2008, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Is real as I told Matt vis email. corners that start out as round will wear differently than square corners IMO. As Leon stated, picture is too good to be a fake. I think corners have just been worn down.