NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-24-2023, 12:35 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Default PSA & SGC combined T206 pop numbers as of 12/22/23

I have done the pop numbers in the past for several things like different backs and certain players but I never did a combined PSA & SGC pop on the 524 card set before and I must say it was enlightening,

There are many T206 collectors that say the pop reports are inaccurate. Well yeah there is quite a bit of inaccuracy with some of the rare backs and certain subjects because of crossovers and resubmissions etc... but as a whole I have always felt that they are a great resource and also pretty accurate in general.

I think most advanced T206 collectors would agree that these total combined pop numbers seem to reflect their accuracy.

There are some things that stood out to me and I will point a few of them out at the end of this post.

I assigned a color to each print group and also put the number of backs that each subject is currently confirmed with. I'm sure I have made some mistakes so feel free to correct me or offer any suggestions.

Some of the colors didn't come out on the printer that great but this is what they are for each print group.

Print group 1 150/350 = white
Print group 2 350 only = green
print group 3 350/460 = blue
print group 4 460 only = yellow
Print group 5 super prints = red/orange (it's orange on my excel sheet)
Print group 6 Southern Leaguers = light green/gray (it's gray on my sheet)

Hof's are in red writing

img958.jpg

img961.jpg

img962.jpg

img963.jpg

img038.jpg

img965.jpg

img966.jpg

img967.jpg

img968.jpg

img969.jpg

img991.jpg

img971.jpg

I have been doing a lot of different types of research on the set for quite a few years now but doing this has pointed me in a slightly different direction on how the printing might have been done on some of these groups.

Monte Cross is an odd subject (along with a few other subjects but Cross stands out the most). He was only printed with 4 backs and like most people I always thought he was pulled or something happened and he was left out for a significant portion of the printing but when you look at his numbers along with some other similar subjects it doesn't seem like he or many of the other limited back subjects were pulled or left out. Cross is a print group 2 subject and despite the fact that he was only printed on 4 backs there are 26 print group 2 subjects with lower total pops than his.

I have said for a long time that it didn't seem like it would have been practical to remove subjects during the printing process and working on this it seems to me like it was more like they were being printed in several different places and how the subjects got moved around in the printing of the different backs that created some of the discrepancies.

I haven't actually taken any time to look at it because I just finished the excel sheet but while I was working on this it seems that a great deal of subjects with fewer backs have significantly higher numbers than some subject from the same print group. My thought is that while the subjects with higher number backs were being printed on some of the less common backs subjects like Cross were still being printed on Piedmont and Sweet Caporal sheets with another group of subjects from that print group. We know for sure that Rossman another subject that was printed on a limited number of backs (5) is found with two different subjects above him McBride and Thomas.

I think that might have been what also took place with the Southern Leaguers and it could be the reason most of the 14 that weren't printed with Hindu backs have higher pops than the 34 that were. We do know from some of the ads that they had originally intended to print all of the Southern Leaguers with Hindu backs.

In general you can see the consistency between the PSA and SGC pop numbers. For the most part SGC pops are around 60% of the PSA numbers
for most subjects with the Hof's being slightly higher.

One subject that stood out to me is the Ever's Cubs on shirt with almost equal numbers for both.

Last edited by Pat R; 12-28-2023 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Changed Baker/Huggins image
Old 12-24-2023, 02:59 AM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Great research Pat!! Or I should say, thank you for taking the excessive time to do this and share it. I did a similar list around 8 years ago, so I knew exactly how cards 450 to 524 were going to look. Nearly all HOF cards. The totals look to be around triple the amount also. This is the first step needed, to continue with the future steps of the breakdown of the set. Are the different back numbers from the population reports or from your known master checklist? The Rossman is one of a small handful of oddball unknowns. I still need the Tolstoi. I'm going to have to dig out my Sovereign 350, because it might need upgrading. Especially after I saw that I paid $18.18 for it lol. At least my Sweet Caporal 350/25 is a PSA 4.

I'm not sure how you captured the sections of the spreadsheet, but if you are on a Windows system, I use the snipping tool, which does a nice clear job with bright colors.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 12-24-2023, 05:49 AM

Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2023, 06:35 AM
Scott Russell

First - what do you mean Steve Evans isn't the rarest card in the set?

Second (and more seriously) If one assumes a higher percentage of extant Cobbs are graded than of any other "normal" card, it should give you a starting point to extrapolate overall numbers for commons.

OK Cobb might have been saved more often than other players due to his stature but the question becomes what percentage of Cobb cards does the collecting world suspect are graded? I know we have gotten in a few raw ones over the last 5 years (that we of course graded) but there's obviously a decent number of ungraded copies out there.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-24-2023, 08:04 AM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
First - what do you mean Steve Evans isn't the rarest card in the set?

Second (and more seriously) If one assumes a higher percentage of extant Cobbs are graded than of any other "normal" card, it should give you a starting point to extrapolate overall numbers for commons.

OK Cobb might have been saved more often than other players due to his stature but the question becomes what percentage of Cobb cards does the collecting world suspect are graded? I know we have gotten in a few raw ones over the last 5 years (that we of course graded) but there's obviously a decent number of ungraded copies out there.
I agree that certain HOF cards could actually give you an idea of the quantity of the more common cards that were not graded as much. I wouldn't use the Red Cobb though, because it's a Super Print. Maybe use an average of the Cy Young with Glove and the Johnson Hand at Chest. I don't think many collectors would just hold on to a few of the stars and toss the rest. Also, for a few years, I payed attention to a certain group of cards and made sure none were counted twice, and I found that with these certain common cards, on average, 75% were coming up ungraded, with the rest being graded. So, from my past research, multiplying a common graded card total by 4 would give you a close number in existance. Obviously, there are some commons that won't fit that 4x quantity rule.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 12-24-2023, 04:22 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
Great research Pat!! Or I should say, thank you for taking the excessive time to do this and share it. I did a similar list around 8 years ago, so I knew exactly how cards 450 to 524 were going to look. Nearly all HOF cards. The totals look to be around triple the amount also. This is the first step needed, to continue with the future steps of the breakdown of the set. Are the different back numbers from the population reports or from your known master checklist? The Rossman is one of a small handful of oddball unknowns. I still need the Tolstoi. I'm going to have to dig out my Sovereign 350, because it might need upgrading. Especially after I saw that I paid $18.18 for it lol. At least my Sweet Caporal 350/25 is a PSA 4.

I'm not sure how you captured the sections of the spreadsheet, but if you are on a Windows system, I use the snipping tool, which does a nice clear job with bright colors.
Thanks Ron. I have done something similar using the PSA pop report going all the way back to 2012 but I never did the print groups and backs or included the SGC pops before.

I lost all of my data when my old computer died so I only have stuff that I printed and saved.

Here are the first 3 pages of the PSA pop numbers from 2012.

img974.jpg

img975.jpg

img976.jpg
Old 12-24-2023, 05:29 PM
Ton.y Be.ll

Great job Pat! Well done. I have put together similar lists in the past with PSA and SGC pops and the least graded players dominated by the SLers are pretty much the same with the exception of a few. I have always thought that Cranston and Violat should command a higher premium based on the low numbers even though I have seen quite a few raw Cranstons for sale.
Same numbers wise with the high graded ones which are dominated by the HOFers.

I am currently working through the PSA SLers pop list and tracking down each cert which is over 14,000 at this point. I am working on Foster for a few more minutes today.

Collecting:
1909-1911 T206 Southern Leaguers (Alabama)
1914 Cracker Jack Set (91 out of 145)
Old 12-24-2023, 06:01 PM
Ton.y Be.ll

Here is a sample
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SL.jpg (169.2 KB, 407 views)

Collecting:
1909-1911 T206 Southern Leaguers (Alabama)
1914 Cracker Jack Set (91 out of 145)
Old 12-24-2023, 06:17 PM

Nice Pat...I love this kind of research work. And being the papery fellow that I am, I have already printed out a black ink version (time to replace the color ink cartridges in my printer). It does give me the excuse to instead mark up these copies with print group indications, which should be some between the holiday fun for me, and will probably force me to get a real good feel for the differences in availability between and within the groups.

Brian
Old 12-24-2023, 10:35 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Posting this for someone who asked for the list in alphabetical order.

img007.jpg

img978.jpg

img979.jpg

img980.jpg

img009.jpg

img982.jpg

img983.jpg

img036.jpg

img985.jpg

img986.jpg

img987.jpg

Attachment 602580
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img984.jpg (121.9 KB, 403 views)

Last edited by Pat R; 12-28-2023 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Changed Baker and Huggins images
Old 12-26-2023, 02:41 PM

Default Thank You

For doing this - this is awesome data!
Old 12-26-2023, 04:24 PM
P@trick R.omolo

You're welcome and thank you Cory.

I found one mistake that I made and I'm sure there are more. Baker's total should be in blue because he is a print group 3 subject.
Old 12-26-2023, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
You're welcome and thank you Cory.

I found one mistake that I made and I'm sure there are more. Baker's total should be in blue because he is a print group 3 subject.
Thanks Pat... thankfully for me it was easy to erase my penciled-in '2' and change it to a '3'. I knew there was an advantage to printing it out with black ink!

Not that important, but I did notice that the Huggins (hands at mouth) entry has his name incorrectly spelled as 'Higgins'.

Brian
Old 12-26-2023, 09:34 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Thanks Pat... thankfully for me it was easy to erase my penciled-in '2' and change it to a '3'. I knew there was an advantage to printing it out with black ink!

Not that important, but I did notice that the Huggins (hands at mouth) entry has his name incorrectly spelled as 'Higgins'.

Brian
Thanks for pointing that out Brian. I made the corrections on my excel sheet. I will replace the Baker and Huggins sheets on here tomorrow.

I was able to locate one Higgins.

img990 - Copy (4).jpg

Made corrections on both lists.

Last edited by Pat R; 12-27-2023 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-27-2023, 10:01 AM
Art Martineau

Thank you Patrick. Excellent research! A++
Art M.
Old 12-27-2023, 11:31 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Thank you Art and Happy Holidays.
Old 12-27-2023, 03:37 PM
P@trick R.omolo

I did another chart with where I broke them down by print groups and in doing so I discovered another error.
I had the wrong color code on Rudolph He should be Green for print group 2 but I had him in print group 1 white.

Print Group 1 150/350
img013.jpg
img015.jpg
img018.jpg
img019.jpg

Print Group 2 350 only
img039.jpg
img040.jpg
img041.jpg
img042.jpg
img045.jpg

Print Group 3 350/460
img025.jpg
img030.jpg

Print Group 4 460 only
img050.jpg

Print Group 5 Super Prints
img033.jpg

Print Group 6 Southern Leaguers
img034.jpg

I noticed something interesting while doing this. O'Leary is the only non Hall of Famer from print group 1 that was printed with all 12 of the available backs from print group 1.
The only other subjects that were printed with all 12 backs are Bresnahan (portrait), Griffith (portrait) and Johnson (portrait).

Another interesting fact about those 4 subjects is they are the only portraits on one of the plate scratch sheets and O'leary, Johnson and Bresnahan
are on one end of the sheet together while Griffith is on the other end of that sheet.

0 Sheet 1B - Copy.jpg

Last edited by Pat R; 12-28-2023 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-28-2023, 08:42 AM
P@trick R.omolo

I want to thank Brian P for checking the lists and pointing out that I had Needham in the wrong print group. I think I've made the correction on all of the lists.
If anyone spots any other errors please let me know and I will make the changes.