NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 03-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Arthur R!ch

This is going ot be the eternal debate on this topic. What is considered a card? You could probably ask 50 people and get 50 different responses.

For me, a card is part of a set, no one-ofs. It's also something that is issued (or intended to be issued) in a pack of something -- tobacco, gum, candy, soap, hot dogs, or just a pack of the cards.

If we include fighter-issued promotional pieces should we include posters? Or photos? Or any item that simply uses the fighter's image?

I would include Exhibits but not post cards (unless issued as a set) or one-of promotional pieces.

And where did this notion come from that foreign cards don't count as rookies? I've never heard that one before. If that's the case, this is going to be one boring list.

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 03-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Alan Zimmerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasselhoffsCheeseburger View Post
And where did this notion come from that foreign cards don't count as rookies? I've never heard that one before. If that's the case, this is going to be one boring list.

AND highly inaccurate.

To each, his own. Back into my hole.

Alan
Old 03-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Back in the day when the rookie nonsense was at its height and Beckett was the only game in town, their classification of rookie cards excluded anything that was not available in the USA when issued. All of those cards were deemed "XRC" for "extra rookie cards" and not accorded the same valuation as a 'real' RC. All of the Leaf "RCs" from the 1980s were treated as XRCs, for example.

As for what is a card, that's another debate. One way that I frame it is that anything catalogued in the ACC is a card. That is pretty much my baseline, and it goes from there.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-08-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:05 PM

You learn something new everyday. I had no idea that Exhibits from the 1920's had dates on the back. I don't collect exhibits because I lump them in with postcards (which I don't consider cards, but many do). As for Beckett listing only American cards as rookies, they only covered the 4 major North American sports where that would make sense. Boxing cards are not from a purely North American sport, so that designation can not work for this sport. If that designation were to apply across the board then there would never be a cricket, rugby or any other foreign sport rookie because America doesnt make cards for these sports. Beckett only originally had price guides for the 4 North American sports, so it makes perfect sense that a rookie, according to them, could only come from N. America.

As for the argument about what a card is, I kind of go with the eye test. Exhibits look like postcards to me, so that is what I consider them. Sportscasters look like flimsy pieces of paper to me, so I consider them pictures on flimsy pieces of paper (although I do own some). Hemmets Journal "cards" were never meant to be cut in to cards, so I consider the Hemmets Journal Cassius Clay to be a picture cut out. No two people are going to agree on what is or what isn't a card every time, but we can all use our eyes and your logic to judge for yourself...Now it is off to bed for me since I have to be up bright and early to go to a charity bar crawl tomorrow haha.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:12 PM

Do they have to be a card?

How about a round metal disc..........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ringo Bonavena (FT) round metal #41_001.jpg (67.9 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg El Dogo (FT) round metal #71_001.jpg (67.8 KB, 156 views)
Old 03-09-2013, 09:50 PM
Arthur R!ch

Issued in packs and part of a set... works for me. Rectangle, square, circle, rhombus, whatever.

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 03-10-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Issued in packs and part of a set... works for me. Rectangle, square, circle, rhombus, whatever.
My all-time top 50 parallelogram set is not going well.

Thanks for the expert thoughts as always, guys. I'll continue to update the top post as we get more info and push towards consensus here and there. Exhibit cards with stats on back seem to be a no brainer now.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:40 PM

Where is an image of a B HOP Rookie? Awesome to see him win a title again this weekend.