NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-21-2004, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Default Note to Bill on Anonymous Posts

Posted By: hankron

There have been way too many anonymous posts lately. I'm hoping that Bill gives due notice or starts automatically deleting them all.

Personally, it wouldn't kill me if people were required to be signed in. The plus is everyone could have a pretty avitar like mine.

Old 09-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

It's very easy to create a Net 54 login.

Old 09-21-2004, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff De

Pardon me Hankron, What is an avitar?
AVITAR is a cozy hotel situated in a quiet centre of Riga?

Old 09-21-2004, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Count me in favor of logging in. I think it will eleminate some unnecessary hassles that have risen and will continue to come up.

Old 09-21-2004, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

I don't think it's a crime if people forget to log in now and then, I certainly forget a lot. What I find annoying is the gutless posters who post anonymously just so they can take jabs at other posters. A Log-in requirement would be fine by me.

Old 09-21-2004, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

You should HAVE to log in.

I forget to do so myself at times... but if I could NOT post without logging in ...

then it would SOLVE my forgetfulness problem!

Old 09-21-2004, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

I hope Im not the gutless poster that started this thread. I forgot to logon in response to the Bonds post. I made a joke about prewar vintage referring to the first Iraq war - before I could correct the post, the entire thread was gone.

Anyway, I certainly did not intend to hide behind an anonymous post.

Old 09-21-2004, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

Hankron:

Verushka may be an avatar (that pic is of her, right), but I'm not sure she's yours!

Besides, I think my indicia is pretty, too.

Kevin

Old 09-21-2004, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

My impression is that most people do log in now before posting. It certainly makes it easier for others to recognize you and get in touch, if needed, although I realize that people occasionally forget (or can't be bothered).

I personally don't think it needs to change, but there is an option that would allow only people who had logged in to post and give everyone else read-only rights. Would that scare off would-be posters? I don't know...

The Bonds Rookie (yawn) thread got yanked for being impudently non-vintage.

Bill

Old 09-21-2004, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Bill, the only would be posters that logging in would scre away are the people that don't have the guts to ID themselves in the first place. There are tons of people that only lurk and this would not impact them.

the other option, if you don't want to require logging in, would be for you to promptly delete anon posts. And don't think you want that much work to do. There has already been one case were several poeple having the same name have been mistaken as be someone else and has lead to problems. Requring people will help end the problems with all the Bills, Pete's, Chris', etc that are on the board.

Jay

I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Wierd, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in.

Old 09-21-2004, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Count me as a vote for logging in. It takes 7 seconds to do and at least makes cowards who want to post anonymously have to go through the trouble of setting up a fake account just to post.

The whole time they are typing in fake info for their fake account, they get to think about what a coward they are.

-Ryan

Old 09-21-2004, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gary B.

"there is an option that would allow only people who had logged in to post and give everyone else read-only rights. Would that scare off would-be posters? I don't know..."

I think this would be great. If a person got scared off, then they must not really wanted to have to post, because logging in is simple, and usually I don't even have to log in because I stay logged in from the previous visit to the board. I say go for it...

Old 09-21-2004, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I will go with the flow and since my buddies think it best to log in I will vote that way too. For some reason it seems like the system won't let me post without doing it...so no sweat here. Lurkers can still lurk too.....later

Old 09-21-2004, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John/z28jd

I also wouldnt mind having to log in to post,altho i admit i usually bypass it if im not already logged in from being in the chat.It would save Bill some time in editing my posts too for me

Old 09-21-2004, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

I can go either way, simply I think because no anonymous poster has ticked me off yet, when that happens then I will lean towards the login side. Either way happy to login before posting. The choice is yours Bill, for you have accepted the burden of leadership. With great power comes great responsibility…....oh and the ability to delete posts too. So you got that going for ya which must be nice.

Old 09-21-2004, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: martindl

I've had a few anonymous posts lately but thats more to do with me being an idiot newbie than anything else. I log in and start typing witout filling my name in.

I think logging in to post should be the rule.

Old 09-21-2004, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

I am definately in favor of having to log in. After my situation with Lee last week, and me being a horses you know what, I was trying to apologize for mistakes I made, only to have my last ditch effort get shot down, not to mention the tongue lashing Aaron gave me for a post by another Chris that was misunderstood as me making snide comments about Lee. It left me in a situation where I was not only having to defend or apologize for the mistakes I made, but also defend myself for the harmless post of someone else who just happens to share my first name.

Old 09-21-2004, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Dittos

Old 09-21-2004, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

I don't even know sez I was born before the war of 1812, I'd like to be able to answer--IT. But that means taking up thread space, since we don't have to include our e-mail addresses to post, huh?

Also, it's a drag seeing a mistake you made, factual, spelling, typographical, etc. and not being able to correct it because you didn't sign in!

Old 09-21-2004, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

That wasn't you I saw with Molly Pitcher?

Old 09-21-2004, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

Kevin, it's debatable whether people take my photo advice to heart, but, if due to my posts, someone remembers the name of the unearthly 1960s Prussian fashion model (Veruschka), I'm satisfied.

Old 09-22-2004, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Old 09-22-2004, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

Julie - Molly was long before our time - Valley Forge - Veruschka I remember well - not before my time.

Old 09-22-2004, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=MOLLY+PITCHER&btnG=Google+Search