NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-31-2017, 05:29 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBesse27 View Post
Wow, WOW!!
Everyone look out! DBesse's gonna blow!!!!
Old 05-31-2017, 06:04 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightmanCometh View Post
Everyone look out! DBesse's gonna blow!!!!
My 2 biggest collecting passions: Yaz and Venies!
Old 05-31-2017, 08:45 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Topps 1960 Venezuelans

Hi Gang:

Is there anything "special" about card #1 Wynn, #3 Adcock or #13 Post in the 1960 Venezuelan set?

I am trading with a guy looking for them. If anyone can help PLMK.

Thanks!!

Fred
Old 05-31-2017, 08:49 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

The wynn can be pricey
Old 05-31-2017, 09:20 PM
Steve S.
Banned

Quote:
My 2 biggest collecting passions: Yaz and Venies!
I feel very fortunate to have been able to get my hands on this. I'm considering crossover because pretty much my entire Red Sox rookie PC is PSA. For now, I just like looking at it
Old 05-31-2017, 10:14 PM
Don Johnson

Some great Venies posted here everyone!

Fred, just sent you an email.

Don
Old 06-03-2017, 08:34 PM

Never really understood the facination with venies. Is it just rarity? Maybe some people grew up there and remember these fondly? Seems pretty esoteric otherwise.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog4063 View Post
Never really understood the facination with venies. Is it just rarity? Maybe some people grew up there and remember these fondly? Seems pretty esoteric otherwise.
Thrill of the hunt, it's the next phase for a player collector or a team collector who has finished with all of the easily found Topps cards and semi easily found OPC cards. Had to pay a small fortune for this little booger, might not see another one in ten years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500vrs.jpg (28.7 KB, 242 views)

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 06-04-2017 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Added photo
Old 06-04-2017, 12:40 AM
Chris

Quote:
For me it's a couple of factors. First, they are beautiful cards by my standards. They primarily all look well loved and are kind of mini works of art as a result. Second, it's cool to me that Topps would release these in the 50s and 60s in a far away country. Some boy or girl would treasure it for years. And then it would somehow make its way to me--typically directly thorough Venezuela. If you want one of these, you generally have a limited number of people you can get them from. Third, these cards actually matter. You've picked up a 1960 Mantle from Topps. Not impressive and not something I can't do by turning to eBay and spending a $100. Oh, it has great centering. Fantastic. Here's a $130 for it. Well, if you want a 1960 Venezuelan Mantle you are going to have to message Larry from Florida and get on his radar. Your also going to have to try Mark from Brooklyn and send a note to Kelly. Maybe one of them gets one in and messages you. Maybe a random, one off seller posts one on eBay and you are able to hit buyitnow before one of the numerous other people that need it get it. Well, you now have a card that not every can get. That's pretty cool. Fourth, they are fantastic conversation pieces and a number of people--including my local card shop when I lived in NY--were completely unaware the issue even exists. Finally, no player collection is complete without them.

Collect what you love. For me, my favorite cards are my Venezuelans.

Last edited by Bestdj777; 06-04-2017 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:05 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

It's the scarcity. Like others have said, you're not a serious player collector or team collector if you're not hunting for these.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:24 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Well, I found out about them through this thread. I have this goal of collecting every Topps Braves base card, so these and OPCs seemed like a natural thing to collect. As I started collecting VZs, my appreciation for them grew and now I feel very lucky that I was able to collect them all. VZs are a shining example of the love for baseball around the world, particularly in Central America and the Caribbean. Honestly, I'm kind of surprised they aren't more popular.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:37 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Well, I found out about them through this thread. I have this goal of collecting every Topps Braves base card, so these and OPCs seemed like a natural thing to collect. As I started collecting VZs, my appreciation for them grew and now I feel very lucky that I was able to collect them all. VZs are a shining example of the love for baseball around the world, particularly in Central America and the Caribbean. Honestly, I'm kind of surprised they aren't more popular.
I'm glad they are not more popular, the prices are already high enough for nice cards.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:09 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

Agreed!
Old 06-05-2017, 09:12 AM
Chris

Quote:
It's the scarcity. Like others have said, you're not a serious player collector or team collector if you're not hunting for these.
Inaccurate. I'm a serious player collector and have found all of them
Old 06-06-2017, 02:58 PM

Thanks guys for sharing info on why you love the Venezuelans. Some of you are really passionate. I looked on the bay and you are right...some cards only 1 or 2 for sale on the whole site and high grade looks to be super scarce.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:18 AM
Howard Chasser

Default To emphasize the point made.....

I am a Clemente collector.

PSA has graded 2,666 copies of his 1967 card. There are 66 unqualified PSA 9's and 2 PSA 10's.
For Clemente's 67 Venezuelan card (arguably one of the toughest in all of collecting Venezuelan's!) PSA has graded 8 copies - Top of the pop's - 2 PSA 5's, following a PSA 3, 4 PSA- 1's and 1 Authentic. rarer than a T206 Wagner and just a bear of a card to find!
Even his most "common" 1966 Venezuelan - Topps - 2,156. graded copies, Venezuelan - 56 graded copies.
I was introduced to the Venezuelan cards when I met John R at the Willow Grove show. I was very skeptical about their authenticity when I first saw them. I bought a few cheap ones. Learned more about them. Bought a few more. Wish I knew then what I know now - He had almost every major star card - I think the priciest among them was a Ryan rookie probably a PSA 3-4 at $1,000.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:24 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
I am a Clemente collector.

PSA has graded 2,666 copies of his 1967 card. There are 66 unqualified PSA 9's and 2 PSA 10's.
For Clemente's 67 Venezuelan card (arguably one of the toughest in all of collecting Venezuelan's!) PSA has graded 8 copies - Top of the pop's - 2 PSA 5's, following a PSA 3, 4 PSA- 1's and 1 Authentic. rarer than a T206 Wagner and just a bear of a card to find!
Even his most "common" 1966 Venezuelan - Topps - 2,156. graded copies, Venezuelan - 56 graded copies.
I was introduced to the Venezuelan cards when I met John R at the Willow Grove show. I was very skeptical about their authenticity when I first saw them. I bought a few cheap ones. Learned more about them. Bought a few more. Wish I knew then what I know now - He had almost every major star card - I think the priciest among them was a Ryan rookie probably a PSA 3-4 at $1,000.
Wow, great story! Thanks for sharing
Old 06-26-2017, 09:52 PM
R!CK LYON$

Default Beware

I buy most of my Venezuelans from Venezuelan sellers. I purchased a big lot of 350 cards from varies years from a guy who has been my main supplier for quite awhile two weeks ago. Still haven't gotten them yet so I email him and he said fedex and dhl have stopped operations from Venezuela now and can't send them until they reopen. So beware of buying from them because you probably won't receive your cards. He said he would wait for awhile and if nothing changes he would send my money back. Rick
Old 06-27-2017, 06:19 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

Rick, I hope you get that lot! Sounds amazing.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:22 AM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrlyons View Post
I buy most of my Venezuelans from Venezuelan sellers. I purchased a big lot of 350 cards from varies years from a guy who has been my main supplier for quite awhile two weeks ago. Still haven't gotten them yet so I email him and he said fedex and dhl have stopped operations from Venezuela now and can't send them until they reopen. So beware of buying from them because you probably won't receive your cards. He said he would wait for awhile and if nothing changes he would send my money back. Rick
I would probably try to get your money back and have him message you when shipping resumes. I recently got a card and had to wait a few weeks for it because of everything that's going on in Venezuela. Right now is definitely not the time to be buying anything from sellers who reside in Venezuela, especially in Caracas.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:13 AM
Joshua Van Pelt

I am currently waiting on 2 shipments from Venezuela. Both sellers are in constant contact but no idea if / when they will get sent. I have gotten every item from Venezuela up to this point although I have had to wait weeks sometimes. Once it gets to FedEx or DHL it gets here in a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2017, 06:40 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I have never owned a Venezuelan card, so I'm unfamiliar with the actual physical dimensions of those cards.

I have shied away from them as I have always assumed that the card stock was much thinner than cards produced domestically and, that, plus the naturally smaller production run is why card condition is such an issue.

Is that assumption correct?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-28-2017, 08:16 AM
R!CK LYON$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecafewha View Post
I am currently waiting on 2 shipments from Venezuela. Both sellers are in constant contact but no idea if / when they will get sent. I have gotten every item from Venezuela up to this point although I have had to wait weeks sometimes. Once it gets to FedEx or DHL it gets here in a few days.

Yes I will add I too have gotten every package from Venezuela up to this point also. He is making it sound like they won't reopen anytime soon.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:47 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I have never owned a Venezuelan card, so I'm unfamiliar with the actual physical dimensions of those cards.

I have shied away from them as I have always assumed that the card stock was much thinner than cards produced domestically and, that, plus the naturally smaller production run is why card condition is such an issue.

Is that assumption correct?
Everything you said is correct. Combine that with the fact that many were glued into albums, and finding a clean-ish copy is extremely difficult.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:57 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrlyons View Post
Thanks for that info. I guess I'll stick to American dealers for now. Heres my most recent pickup, very tough common .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600_2.jpg (76.7 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600_3.jpg (76.7 KB, 211 views)
Old 07-11-2017, 08:38 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Picked up this lot of 64 Venies on eBay:

It's about 50/50 between ones I'm going to keep/grade and the ones I plan to resell. There are other keepers in the group, but the 4 below are already on their way to PSA.

The Wynn is a RC.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:35 PM
R!CK LYON$

Dan
I really needed that Banks card down to two cards to finish the set but didn't think the lot would go that high. My bad! I did just get that big lot from Venezuela 45 direct hits to my sets from 59-68. The seller said dhl and fedex had to negotiate a new contract with the government to reopen so assuming packages will start following again. Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (16.4 KB, 175 views)
Old 07-11-2017, 09:48 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Rick, I was thrilled to win the Banks, but it's bittersweet knowing that I outbid you. Are there any others you need from the lot? Depending on the ones, I would be interested in some trading. Congrats, though, on that huge lot! What will you do with your dupes?
Old 07-11-2017, 10:58 PM
R!CK LYON$

Besides the Banks I need one leader card and Kaline so no I don't need any of the others. I trade a few to other collectors but most I sell to other members of OBC. Rick
Old 07-11-2017, 11:31 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Picked up this lot of 64 Venies on eBay:

It's about 50/50 between ones I'm going to keep/grade and the ones I plan to resell. There are other keepers in the group, but the 4 below are already on their way to PSA.

The Wynn is a RC.
Lovin' the Banks, my man! Great pick-up.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:23 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

I now have all three 68 Venz league leader cards with Yaz on them.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:17 AM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:

I now have all three 68 Venz league leader cards with Yaz on them.
Wow!!! Congratulations, DB!!!! Enjoy it for a good while, my friend, and get onto the OPCs ;-)
Old 07-21-2017, 07:16 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

Quote:
Wow!!! Congratulations, DB!!!! Enjoy it for a good while, my friend, and get onto the OPCs ;-)
I've got one of the OPC and am buying another today.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:42 AM
Mike

Picked up my first Venezuelan. Had near misses in auctions on a few others, glad to get this one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maris 66.jpg (29.6 KB, 246 views)
Old 07-21-2017, 11:07 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

Wow Mike, nice one!
Old 07-21-2017, 11:40 AM
Mike

Quote:
Wow Mike, nice one!
thanks a lot, dan! have a great friday/weekend
Old 07-21-2017, 12:27 PM
Joshua Van Pelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCoxon View Post
Picked up my first Venezuelan. Had near misses in auctions on a few others, glad to get this one

Nice start!

Old 07-23-2017, 01:17 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
I've got one of the OPC and am buying another today.
I had no doubt.

There isn't an OPC thread, so by all means, please post them here. I'd love to see 'em.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:18 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Congrats, Mike, on your first VZ! Do you have a specific goal in mind that you're shooting for?
Old 07-23-2017, 06:49 PM
Mike

Quote:
Congrats, Mike, on your first VZ! Do you have a specific goal in mind that you're shooting for?
Hi there, I usually player collect, so hoping to find others for players I collect which include Clemente, Aaron, Maris, Oliva, Colavito

Last edited by MCoxon; 07-23-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:29 AM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Hi there, I usually player collect, so hoping to find others for players I collect which include Clemente, Aaron, Maris, Oliva, Colavito
Fantastic! Good luck with collecting the Aaron's. The '68 is a beast to get.

Also, here's a question. Where do you stand on the 67s? Real Topps cards or not?
Old 07-24-2017, 07:54 AM
Mike

Quote:
Fantastic! Good luck with collecting the Aaron's. The '68 is a beast to get.

Also, here's a question. Where do you stand on the 67s? Real Topps cards or not?
I never quite know on the 67s, but I think I actually like the Venezuela look better than the Topps view...!
Old 07-24-2017, 10:37 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
I never quite know on the 67s, but I think I actually like the Venezuela look better than the Topps view...!
GTFO of here!!! LOL, just kidding
Old 07-25-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Gorgeous first card add.
Love the Maris!
RayB
Old 07-27-2017, 10:52 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

Quote:
I had no doubt.

There isn't an OPC thread, so by all means, please post them here. I'd love to see 'em.
OK, here are my 2 OPC LL, followed by all 3 Venz:

Below are some recent Venz PSA returns. I think I showed these all raw.

And finally, a couple of recent raw purchases:

Old 07-31-2017, 02:33 AM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
OK, here are my 2 OPC LL, followed by all 3 Venz:

Below are some recent Venz PSA returns. I think I showed these all raw.

And finally, a couple of recent raw purchases:

Fantastic!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing.

I got a soft spot for that '68 Alou. Always thought he looked boss int hat photo, like he's about to f up the pitcher, LOL.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:37 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Lots of demand

Lots of demand on the venezuelans at the national this week.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:14 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

Glyn were you set up as a dealer at the Natty?
Old 08-01-2017, 10:41 AM
Tyson

Default Venie Demand at National

Some of the demand at the National was me... I asked virtually every dealer if they had any Venezuelan Topps cards... I'm guessing that prompted some dealers to ask around themselves... But also, ran into several eBay dealers and other Venezuelan collectors who were no doubt doing the same... The good news is I was able to find 3 or 4 folks who are "off the grid" who have Venezuelans... Gonna be interesting what I find as I follow up...
Old 08-01-2017, 03:55 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Well I need a couple of 59 variations, a 67 back variation and the impossible 1960 Tatoo to complete the run but I did upgrade to this for my type set of "Topps" Venezuelans:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rizzuto retirado.jpg (36.5 KB, 183 views)

Last edited by toppcat; 08-01-2017 at 03:57 PM.