NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-08-2024, 02:42 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Assuming we have the rest of our collection, I think I'd be torn between a T206 Plank, T204 Johnson. and E92 Nadja Cobb. Both the Plank and Johnson while iconic cards I've wanted, just don't fit that great with my current collection. The Cobb on the other hand is definitely one of the biggest stumbling blocks I'm looking at for my Nadja set both in terms of price and rarity.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 01-08-2024, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHR View Post
At the $100k price point I'm collecting cars, not cards. I can't imagen ever spending anything close to $100k for a card. But that's just me.
A reasonable position that even we crazy collectors cannot dispute, defy it though we may. A tougher question I think is when you have a beloved card (or comic or coin . . . ) that you bought for 10 thousand that then skyrockets to 100 grand. Logically, if 100K is too much to have in a collectible then it's too much whether you paid 100K or not. But I don't think our brains always work that way.
Old 01-08-2024, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
A reasonable position that even we crazy collectors cannot dispute, defy it though we may. A tougher question I think is when you have a beloved card (or comic or coin . . . ) that you bought for 10 thousand that then skyrockets to 100 grand. Logically, if 100K is too much to have in a collectible then it's too much whether you paid 100K or not. But I don't think our brains always work that way.
Great point Jim. Put differently, if one cannot fathom spending $100k on a card, then if/when a card one owns becomes worth $100k, they should sell; and expect there are a number of people out there in this boat given where prices have gone in the past few years
Old 01-09-2024, 09:27 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Great point Jim. Put differently, if one cannot fathom spending $100k on a card, then if/when a card one owns becomes worth $100k, they should sell; and expect there are a number of people out there in this boat given where prices have gone in the past few years
Ryan - I generally agree with this sentiment, although I would probably add a few caveats.

As a tax professional, my first and most obvious observation is that I'm always reticent to sell, just to hand over as much as half of the sales price to the tax man. To the average American, nothing seems to vex us more than paying taxes that could have been avoided by not selling.

Second, for many of these cards, they mean a lot more to us than just cold, hard cash. While in theory everything has a price, often it's difficult to part with something that is so meaningful to us. Although economists would prefer that we all be cold calculating machines, we humans are too full of emotion to ever really allow that to happen. Along these lines, I would further posit that when it comes to our "forever" personal collection, the price would need to be astronomical before we are willing to sell. $100k is good money and nothing to sneeze at, but for some impossible to find pieces that I've been approached about selling, I've seriously responded that it would take $10M for me to sell, even though they would probably only fetch a small fraction of that amount if I were to sell at auction today.

Finally, there's also the element of expecting that it's just going to keep going up. While it's often illogical to expect that cardboard that is at a multiple of its previous all-time high could really go up much higher, deep down to some extent, we're inveterate gamblers. And that can cause us to want to keep riding the hot hand, expecting that this is just the beginning, with another 10x leg up being right around the corner, so selling now would be folly.

Bottom line is that it's easy to declare our economic principles, but when it comes to something we cherish like these cards, it can be a lot harder to actually take the brave leap of actually selling.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 01-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I have one card that has probably done that. And I am happy to hang onto it. But I can't fathom spending 100k on a card!
Old 01-13-2024, 04:43 PM
Jeff H

Easy choice for me. It would be the nicest 1952 Mantle I could find. Knowing full well that my son as a Yankee fan and a Mantle fan would cherish it long after I’m gone.
Old 01-15-2024, 03:03 PM
Jay Cee

Pick the best player you want to Collect/invest in. Then get the nicest condition card of him from a known series. You will have a low floor and a high ceiling which basically eliminates some financial risk. One good saying I heard not too long ago is pigs get fat, and hogs get slaughtered. Many cards mentioned about are great examples and don’t be afraid to go after a special card. It might be expensive now but years from now it most likely will look like a steal. Nice high end items normally hold their value through any kind of market and will always appeal to folks that seem to always have money to spend.
Old 01-16-2024, 10:25 AM

The best 1915 CJ Jackson I could find.
Old 01-16-2024, 04:33 PM
And.rew Fin.kel.man

1915 Red Sox team postcard with Ruth. I hope to own one someday...
Old 01-17-2024, 08:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

a few other tidbits...

Someone always wants the best of something. So, if you can attain the best (or it's one of the best), of a desirable item it should do well long-term.

Aesthetics matter to collectors and not as much to registry folks (isn't it all about the number?). And of course there are registry guys that do want the best looking examples. But, I don't think registries, so far, take into account particular visual characteristics. I would guess that the majority of the highest grade pre-war cards don't look as nice as ones with lower technical grades.

It can't be said enough; rarity doesn't equate to value. It's all about "demand".

To the topic, another 100k card would be a nicer T205 Cobby.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Pick the best player you want to Collect/invest in. Then get the nicest condition card of him from a known series. You will have a low floor and a high ceiling which basically eliminates some financial risk. One good saying I heard not too long ago is pigs get fat, and hogs get slaughtered. Many cards mentioned about are great examples and don’t be afraid to go after a special card. It might be expensive now but years from now it most likely will look like a steal. Nice high end items normally hold their value through any kind of market and will always appeal to folks that seem to always have money to spend.

Last edited by Leon; 01-17-2024 at 08:53 AM.