NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 05-12-2018, 05:36 PM
Scott ku.rtis

Default What player do you think you have the best collection of in the world? (If any)

This obviously lends itself to billionaires or people that have been obsessed with collecting one player. I have been actively collecting Javier Baez, and I don’t think I have his best collection in the world, but I feel like I would be top 10, maybe.

Anyone else have a particular player that they have a ton of that’s not collected by manythat they would feel confident declaring themselves world champ?
Old 05-12-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis13 View Post
This obviously lends itself to billionaires or people that have been obsessed with collecting one player. I have been actively collecting Javier Baez, and I don’t think I have his best collection in the world, but I feel like I would be top 10, maybe.

Anyone else have a particular player that they have a ton of that’s not collected by manythat they would feel confident declaring themselves world champ?

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=174114

I'm fairly confident I'm in the running for Lou Brock.

There is also a Yaz thread and Clemente thread going on.

Last edited by David W; 05-12-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:02 PM
Scott ku.rtis

I would have to imagine Clemnte and Yaz are heavily collected. As a Cubs fan, I can appreciate the comments on that Brock thread.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:54 PM
Curt

Including post retirement issues, loaded with many 1/1s, of which I was able to secure a decent amount, and my near complete checklist of other than 1/1 cards, plus the variety of other items (aside from items that have not seen the light of day since the 80s, a couple rare items I failed to win or chose not to afford and super high end memorabilia), I'd challenge any takers for the claim to Steve Garvey.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:01 PM
Ben North

Up until 1 year after he retired I would have had either the #1 or #2 Wade Boggs collection. The best was either me or a gentleman from Washington. Can't remember his name anymore but we cost each other a boat load of cash.

I sold all my rare stuff in 2001 because of a bad business deal. It really sucked at the time but now I am glad i done it as those cards sold for way more then than they would now.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:24 AM
Al Richter

I think I have the best possible Darryl Palmer collection.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:26 PM
Jason Dean Martin

Josh Fogg as evidenced here: http://jasondeanmartin.weebly.com/jo...ollection.html

I have added a few things but not updated my stats. Added a game used bat a couple weeks ago. Set me back a whopping $20.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:38 PM
Scott ku.rtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post

So I admit my ignorance: who is that?

Man, another Cubs heartbreaker, Steve Garvey. Any cocktail napkins from his people of affection?
Old 05-15-2018, 03:54 PM
Al Richter

aka Danny Noonan from Caddyshack and The Slugger's Wife

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 05-15-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:25 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I'd be tough to beat on Marshall University graduates in the pros (granted I am sure someone would top me on Randy Moss). I have a huge collection including NFL, MLB, MiLB, CFL, Italian basketball, school issue, Ashland Oil, European football and generally weird stuff. Probably 10,000 different cards. WVADavis would probably be close, but he's the only one I know.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:24 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Bar none, the finest Josh Phelps collection in existence...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:13 PM

Default best player collection

George Brett
Old 05-16-2018, 07:32 PM
Mike

It's fun to check the PSA card site psacard.com to see the Master Set of individual players. Good place to start a player checklist. I'm # 4 on the Al Kaline Master Set.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:08 PM
Curt

I have looked at some of those, but so many folks have no photos. I don't do graded cards unless it is similar to a non graded card price wise or I have some extra concern about authenticity, but I have all of the items on the master list.

Certainly #1 on those lists has the highest conditioned, shared set in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
It's fun to check the PSA card site psacard.com to see the Master Set of individual players. Good place to start a player checklist. I'm # 4 on the Al Kaline Master Set.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:25 PM
Charles
Cha.rles

I don't know if it's the "best collection in the world", but I do have over 250 (and growing) PSA 10 Mike Piazza cards.
(Click on the link below if you're interested in seeing it.)

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore
Old 05-30-2018, 03:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

OT but how many people have every vintage card of Buddy Holly including both versions of the Maple Leaf and Kane Disc Stars?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crickets57.jpg (78.4 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg holly5(red).jpg (76.9 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg holly59(blue).jpg (49.9 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg hollykane.jpg (62.5 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg hollykanesmall.jpg (76.8 KB, 269 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:34 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
OT but how many people have every vintage card of Buddy Holly including both versions of the Maple Leaf and Kane Disc Stars?
One, which interestingly enough is also the number of people who would want one. LOL
Old 05-30-2018, 03:45 PM

Have you ever seen one of those signed? I wonder if they exist. I once saw an Elvis card signed and have always regretted not buying it.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
One, which interestingly enough is also the number of people who would want one. LOL

Sometimes a change of pace from the same old same old Wags and WaJo and Matty and Cobby and Hoblitzell and Abbatachio does a man good.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-30-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Have you ever seen one of those signed? I wonder if they exist. I once saw an Elvis card signed and have always regretted not buying it.
Only the Hit Stars was issued while he was alive, the others were right after his death. It would not surprise me if there was a signed Hit Stars somewhere.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:26 PM
J@RR0D

While the graded cards aren’t going to win any prizes, my Harmon Killebrew collection is quite deep and definitely has some unique items no one else has.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:05 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post

Sometimes a change of pace from the same old same old Wags and WaJo and Matty and Cobby and Hoblitzell and Abbatachio does a man good.
Agree completely. There's nothing at all wrong with collecting Wags, Matty, Cobb, etc., but I love seeing different cards than what shows up regularly on eBay and at auction houses.

That Buddy Holly Maple Leaf card of him without the Crickets always seems super cool to me.

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-02-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Thanks Eddie. A couple more from that set, since we don't seem to be getting many on topic posts anyhow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg armstrong59.jpg (72.6 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg everlys59.jpg (73.4 KB, 247 views)

Old 08-13-2018, 11:28 AM

I'm working on Tim Wakefield, Dwight Evans and Jim Rice - can't claim any significance there yet. But, I would stack my Jamie Quirk collection up against all comers (seriously, yes, I collect Jamie Quirk).
Old 08-14-2018, 09:29 AM
Sean Sullivan

Joe Torre.

I have the #1 collection on PSA; and I have some game worn (Yankees) jerseys; three bats, including one I just picked up here from a Net54 member which is from his rookie season, plus a signed Braves ball with him on it from his rookie season (he only appeared in two games!); plus press photos, etc.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:16 PM

Not sure I can lay claim to the #1 spot on Steve Garvey, considering mrmopar's vast collection and the fact that I'm #3 on the Steve Garvey PSA Master Set (and that #1 & #2 have left me in the dust), but I have a pretty fair collection. Mine, however, is limited to his playing years and pretty much just material that has been, or could be, graded.

Here a link to my PSA-graded set, if you wanna have a look-see:
https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/alltimeset/17092
Old 03-28-2019, 09:22 PM
Chuck Zso.lnai

Default greatest player collection

I concur with Pete and Eddie - nice to see variety.

If everyone collected the same 10 players, it would be boring as hell.

That said, I have a pretty decent Sir Stanley Matthews collection, including a pre-war signed card.

This is a 1/1 that eluded me, but I have hope.

I'm looking for any Ira Thomas baseball cards (1909-1915)
Set in progress: 1994 Upper Deck World Cup autographed
Set in progress: 1938 Konig Fussball
Sub set in progress: 1910-12 Sweet Caporal pins - Philadelphia Athletics - 4 of 11 complete (need: Baker, Murphy, Plank, Krause, Davis)

Successful transactions:
aro13
edsj
commishbob
jpaol99
Gonzo,
abroom
Brianp-beme
Dboneesq
Chris Counts
xplainer
Bobbyw8469
Old 03-28-2019, 09:28 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I think I am in the running for Aaron Boone. He was cheap to collect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 03-29-2019, 02:14 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Whitlow Wyatt

I also have a lot of different Billy Wagner and David Eckstein cards...but I don't go crazy in the effort...so, I probably lag behind true fanatics.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 03-30-2019, 08:17 PM
�tis J�hns�n

I have every card and pin issued of Riggs Stephenson (Cleveland and Cubs 1921-1934) as well as balls, bats and a few dozen photos. A textbook case of the fine line between hobby and obsession.