NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-21-2018, 11:10 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The buyer's premium is the cut of the auction that goes to the house. It affects the consignor, not the buyer. The higher the premium, the less percentage of the final price the consignor gets. It never ceases to amaze that people do not understand this.
Lol...It doesn't affect the buyer the same way sales tax doesn't affect the buyer, right?
Old 04-21-2018, 11:12 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I have NEVER paid a sellers "fee or premium" when selling through an auction house...NEVER! Most AH's will waive these fees if your submission is somewhat significant. On the other hand I have ALWAYS paid a buyers premium...ALWAYS!
There's no "I" in many.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:13 AM
pete ullman

god I hate those damn Literals!!!!
Old 04-21-2018, 11:15 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
So being told you're going to be raped makes the rape better?

Not talking about Heritage here...but the industry as a whole. The buyers premium is rape. No other way to describe it. If the government imposed a 20% sales tax in this country, I wonder if you'd all be so cool with it?

What does the 20% cover? It's not doing the sellers any favors. I'm surprised more auction houses haven't taken the step of offering a greatly reduced or better yet...gasp...no buyer's premium.

And shipping charges...$15 for two pennants from a familiar auction house doesn't seem that bad....until they arrive.

I have limited experience in dealing with auction houses...maybe a half dozen purchases in the last year and a half. But so far I'm not impressed and the disappointment isn't limited to just one. Half assed-ness and mediocrity seem to be key components of the mission statement for a large part of the industry.

image host
Stop calling it rape, you agreed to it.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-21-2018, 11:15 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Lol...It doesn't affect the buyer the same way sales tax doesn't affect the buyer, right?
Only if you don't understand it. Otherwise, no, it doesn't, it's just part of the bid calculation. For anyone who understands it, the BP is a matter of indifference -- it could be zero or it could be 50 percent.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-21-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:17 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithsky View Post
That's why eBay has been popular over the years because they don't have a buyer's premium what you see is what you pay. They have major flaws on eBay and are always making asinine changes but have consistently not impose the buyer's premium on people. I'm sure everyone on here has bought or sold on eBay at some point and it's been nice not to have to pay 20% buyer's premium on eBay. Once they wise up and start thinking about charging a buyer's premium then everybody will be complaining about that.
I regularly compare sale prices between eBay and auction house results and I'm amazed at how much people over pay for items in auction. I was watching some complete sets in a few recent auctions and lost interest when I realized I could get the sets much cheaper on eBay. It's like some people don't know eBay exists...or think they can only get a good item if they pay through the nose for it.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:19 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
How hard is it to add 20 percent in your head or with a calculator? Much ado about nothing IMO.
The defense of the BP here is mind boggling...How dare anyone infringe upon your right to be ripped off!
Old 04-21-2018, 11:21 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Grumpy old man in da house!
Not grumpy, just amazed at the ignorance shown in your response. And I'm probably young by net54 standards.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:22 AM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
The defense of the BP here is mind boggling...How dare anyone infringe upon your right to be ripped off!

How is it being ripped off if you fully know it is going to happen? If you don’t like, buy somewhere else. Plenty of non BP options out there.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I'm thinking you thought I said "Liberal"? I said "Literal":

adjective
taking words in their usual or most basic sense without metaphor or allegory.
Yeap, I can't see my computer screen. Now quit getting all literal. (says Emily Litella, Gilda Radner)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZLeaSWY37I

Last edited by Leon; 04-21-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:29 AM
Joshua

Quote:

Now the buyers premium is deserved. Auction houses are not a free service. eBay charges the the seller and after the eBay price premium and PayPal cut... what hairs are we splitting.

That said, they come up economically the same and if buyers aren’t factoring in the buyers premium and possible taxes in an auction, then that’s the buyer’s fault!

Last edited by joshuanip; 04-21-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:31 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Some of you folks criticizing the OP for the use of the word rape really need to look up the definition of rape.

Hint - the word has several other meanings other than the act of an unconsented sexual assault - e.g. rape the land.

I'm not defending hthe OP and surely he should have considered the BP, taxes, shipping and etc, but if he feels violated (and I don't agree that we was), then rape is definitely an appropriate choice of words.
While rape is an appropriate word by definition, it is an extremely powerful word. In my opinion, using it in any context less significant undermines the severity, suffering, distress, and personal violation of those who have experienced a sexual assault.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 04-21-2018, 11:34 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
How is it being ripped off if you fully know it is going to happen? If you don’t like, buy somewhere else. Plenty of non BP options out there.
Do you get this excited when you pay your taxes?
Old 04-21-2018, 11:38 AM

So you can define "literal" with the help of an internet dictionary, but you can't seem to see the difference between informed consent (the practice of the auction house) and the analogy used in the title. And for your error or inability, everyone who disagrees with you gets the pleasure of being accused of being either old, sensitive, or "literal." (None of those things are de facto bad, by the way.) When in fact it is your mistake all along.

As someone who counsels assault survivors, the analogy is gross. But even if you think it isn't, it is just the wrong analogy. Your choice on which one you want to defend. Now, back to complaining about terms clearly noted by auction houses...

Quote:
I'm thinking you thought I said "Liberal"? I said "Literal":

adjective
taking words in their usual or most basic sense without metaphor or allegory.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:39 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanip View Post
Now the buyers premium is deserved. Auction houses are not a free service. eBay charges the the seller and after the eBay price premium and PayPal cut... what hairs are we splitting.

That said, they come up economically the same and if buyers aren’t factoring in the buyers premium and possible taxes in an auction, then that’s the buyer’s fault!
Ebay doesn't charge buyers to buy things. I get the difference in overhead costs for an auction house. So I'd sincerely like to know...Is waiving seller's fees at auction houses the norm, or reserved for the special few?
Old 04-21-2018, 11:40 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
While rape is an appropriate word by definition, it is an extremely powerful word. In my opinion, using it in any context less significant undermines the severity, suffering, distress, and personal violation of those who have experienced a sexual assault.
Oh, he should have been more politically correct? Understood.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
If you don't pay your taxes you go to jail or get fined.

If you don't bid on an auction...you get to go to bed before 2am.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:42 AM
Peter Spaeth

Something is happening here but you don't know what it is.
Do you, Mr. Jones?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:43 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
I have a right to be ripped off? Constitutional attorneys please explain
Old 04-21-2018, 11:44 AM
Joshua

Quote:
Ebay doesn't charge buyers to buy things. I get the difference in overhead costs for an auction house. So I'd sincerely like to know...Is waiving seller's fees at auction houses the norm, or reserved for the special few?
Hi Rob, the seller gets charged on eBay so he (should) mark up the card appropriately.

At the auction houses: It’s fairly common to waive the sellers fee. That is extra juice in their negotiation with your consignment. That said the more desirable cards you have the better your neg rate (sellers premium is waived and you share the buyers premium). And if you have a featured front page piece that increases your leverage to get a higher neg rate across your lots.

Last edited by joshuanip; 04-21-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:44 AM
Peirce Conboy

This entire thread and all threads like it in the future can be avoided if auction houses utilizes the provided user information they use in invoices to also display during the bidding process.
Honus Wager Bid 1,100 / Buyers Premium 1,320 / Est Final Price 1,430
Old 04-21-2018, 11:47 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgconboy View Post
This entire thread and all threads like it in the future can be avoided if auction houses utilizes the provided user information they use in invoices to also display during the bidding process.
Honus Wager Bid 1,100 / Buyers Premium 1,320 / Est Final Price 1,430
Yes, they could also be avoided if folks on this board possessed greater than a 6th grade education and a calculator.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:48 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Dude doesn't bother to read the conditions of sale of the AH and all of a sudden he's been taken advantage of. Yeah, sure.

OP should stick to garage sales.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:03 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
It's not accurate regardless of what meaning he intended, as rape is never consensual, unlike his purchase.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 04-21-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:09 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
I just cut a rather large tax check, and I wasn’t particularly excited about it. But then I realized my tax dollars are needed to fund things like teaching people how to read, multiply, or the basic fundamentals of how businesses work. So it goes to a good cause.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:20 PM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
No I don’t. But I expect it. I pay quarterly taxes so I know what to plan on. I don’t like it but it is reality. Not much to say. Just do it.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:21 PM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I just cut a rather large tax check, and I wasn’t particularly excited about it. But then I realized my tax dollars are needed to fund things like teaching people how to read, multiply, or the basic fundamentals of how businesses work. So it goes to a good cause.
This.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:22 PM
Joshua

Quote:
Getting off topic but I wish that was the case. A big portion of what we pay go to pensions of those who are “clocking in” their city jobs and not adding any value besides calculating how big their pension will be in 5 years.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:27 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Lol.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:27 PM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanip View Post
Getting off topic but I wish that was the case. A big portion of what we pay go to pensions of those who are “clocking in” their city jobs and not adding any value besides calculating how big their pension will be in 5 years.
Also a good point, but how well tax money is used has potential to rival Frank’s monster thread!
Old 04-21-2018, 12:28 PM
Barry Sloate

The only issue I have is people who do not have to pay sales tax have a nearly one increment advantage over those who do. Since I live in NY, where sales tax is I believe 8.875%, I can't tell you how many lots I lose in Heritage by a single bid. I am the first underbiddder on a regular basis. So if the person who beat me lives in a state with no sales tax, he has a big advantage.

That said, it's the law and it is transparent. It just adds an extra hurdle for me to overcome, and can be frustrating.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:42 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Looks like we need to increase funding for remedial education.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:44 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
The only issue I have is people who do not have to pay sales tax have a nearly one increment advantage over those who do. Since I live in NY, where sales tax is I believe 8.875%, I can't tell you how many lots I lose in Heritage by a single bid. I am the first underbiddder on a regular basis. So if the person who beat me lives in a state with no sales tax, he has a big advantage.

That said, it's the law and it is transparent. It just adds an extra hurdle for me to overcome, and can be frustrating.
Might be time to get a po box in a state with no tax.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:48 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Might be time to get a po box in a state with no tax.
I have a second home in Florida, and lo and behold, another sales tax state.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:51 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
I have a second home in Florida, and lo and behold, another sales tax state.
I'd rather have no state income tax than no state sales tax.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:57 PM
Barry Sloate

Agreed, but Brooklyn is my primary residence.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:57 PM
Rob

Quote:
Not grumpy, just amazed at the ignorance shown in your response. And I'm probably young by net54 standards.
Sorry...You came out of the gate a little hot. Thought for sure you had one eye on the lawn as you were typing.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:59 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenx34 View Post
In what states do they add sales tax? Is it only CA, FL, IL, NY & TX?
For several Heritage Auctions, I was outraged that my winning bids were somehow subject to Fl tax. My thinking was that if the point of sale was Texas, why poor me in the Sunshine State had to endure another 6.5% on already expensive items. It wasn't until I went over to their office here in Palm Beach, saw it was a lot more than a PO box and quietly kicked a few tires realized it was all legit. If you can't bear it, don't bid.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:04 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Agreed, but Brooklyn is my primary residence.
Hey Barry, at least you don't get hit with both NY and FL sales tax on your winning bids----yet.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:04 PM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenx34 View Post
In what states do they add sales tax? Is it only CA, FL, IL, NY & TX?
add CT to the list! Turns out I'm not a scofflaw after all
Old 04-21-2018, 01:14 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Rape? Really? It was more like unsatisfying consensual sex. They told you what you would be getting, but you were so excited to be getting any, you didn't listen!
Perfection
Old 04-21-2018, 01:18 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
add CT to the list! Turns out I'm not a scofflaw after all
Reminds me of one of my favorite episodes...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scofflaw.jpg (70.9 KB, 474 views)
Old 04-21-2018, 01:24 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Hey Barry, at least you don't get hit with both NY and FL sales tax on your winning bids----yet.
Hi John,
Well I haven't told then about Florida yet.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:25 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Reminds me of one of my favorite episodes...
The White Whale!
Old 04-21-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I'd rather have no state income tax than no state sales tax.
I'd rather be able to own a second home.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:58 PM
Pete Sycks

Joe's Vintage auctions doesn't charge a BP, they take their money from the consignors based on the closing price.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 04-21-2018, 02:01 PM
Mike Ryan

Don't forget the California Sales Tax. Heritage has a field office in Beverly Hills.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BROWN GOV.jpg (65.4 KB, 453 views)
Old 04-21-2018, 03:42 PM
Rick Clemens

Heritage is clear what their buyers premium will be, they have a freight calculator and charge tax. To me their auctions are super clear . It does feel at times that their realized prices are quite high. It makes me think they would be a good auction house to consign to

Last edited by ricktmd; 04-29-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:27 PM
Brad Pencil

When I place a bid with Heritage it shows my bid plus it shows the cost with BP. So I guess I’m lost on how someone can be confused on the what the total will end up. I’m pretty sure I don’t have a magic computer and it’s the same for everyone.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:31 PM
Peirce Conboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil1974 View Post
When I place a bid with Heritage it shows my bid plus it shows the cost with BP. So I guess I’m lost on how someone can be confused on the what the total will end up. I’m pretty sure I don’t have a magic computer and it’s the same for everyone.

You got 0 sales tax and free shipping? Where do you live?

Last edited by pgconboy; 04-21-2018 at 04:31 PM.