NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-02-2009, 12:21 AM

Default Show your August pick-ups...

Here's my first. An 8 x 10 vintage original TYPE I photograph:

babeandlouWALSH.jpg
Old 08-02-2009, 05:14 AM
John

Early Zinn Beck bat of Ed Morris. Circa 1922, prior to moving the operation to Greenville, SC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ed Morris for Net54 post.JPG (61.6 KB, 807 views)
Old 08-02-2009, 09:00 AM
Brock

Picked up this really cool 1930's "Hit and Run" board game.

Also got this "See Home Run Derby on TV!" hat. You dont see much vintage home run derby memorabilia so I was really happy to find this. Its not some cheap children's souvenir either. Its heavy wool and an adult size, 7 3/8. Anyone ever see another of these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (69.2 KB, 794 views)
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (63.7 KB, 787 views)
Old 08-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Scott

More great pickups. Ive never seen that HRD hat either. When ESPN did the old shows on rerun a few years ago, I got to see most of them. What great stuff. I loved how the other guy would come and chat with Mark Scott when his opponent was hitting. Then the unseen voice would yell. "One out, Two Away", etc.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Mike Rothstein

Default Home Run Derby

Nice pickups guys.

I really like the Home Run Derby cap!
Old 08-02-2009, 10:08 PM

Default That Home Run Derby Cap RULES !

Great find Brock!
Old 08-02-2009, 11:36 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Wow Brock... Great Cap! I just watched the last episode of Home Run Derby on DVD, and it was great viewing. Really brings back the "good old days"!

Anyway, that cap looks MINT... must be the best surviving example in the world. A great pickup!
Old 08-03-2009, 04:20 AM

Default I can't believe this happened to me...

Talk about flat-out lucky. I've owned this for well over a year now... Joe DiMaggio's 1961 A.L. Season Pass with A.L. Schedule in stunning Mint Condition.

DiMaggio1961pass.jpg

And yesterday, I found and bought this... Joe DiMaggio's 1961 Yankee Stadium Pass in NM/MT Condition.

1961dimaggioPASS.jpg1961dimaggioPASSverso.jpg
Old 08-03-2009, 12:01 PM

Where do you find these treasures, Jimmy!!!???
Old 08-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Al

I just got this one in the mail yesterday, and I absolutely love it. It measures about 4' wide by 2' high or so, and it's beaten half to death, but my wife has hijacked it for the living room anyway.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Dan Bretta

Pretty sweet Al....Just last night I was just thumbing through a bound 1915 Lincoln newspaper I have and I think it was the January 3rd issue that had a story about the new owner of the Yankees and how the beer magnate was going to spend a lot of dough to get the best players....how right they were.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:27 PM

Default Haven't received it yet...

...but the check is in the mail.

So... (Thanks, Graig!)

Old 08-06-2009, 02:56 PM

I was happy to win Hughie Jennings personal copy of the 1909 Spalding guide from Hunt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hugh.jpg (53.3 KB, 515 views)
Old 08-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks David!! I'm glad that one's going to a good home...
Old 08-07-2009, 07:55 AM

Well, I guess if David can post his, I'll post mine.

Thanks again, Graig! Look forward to receiving it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Christy_Mathewson_1911-2.jpg (73.2 KB, 483 views)
Old 08-07-2009, 08:23 AM

Wow!!
Old 08-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Greg T.

"wow" is an understatement. that's incredible
Old 08-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Clint

Thanks to Dan B. for pointing this out to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toplet.jpg (64.0 KB, 456 views)
Old 08-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Matt

Great pick ups so far everyone. Just a quick note though for those that didn't make it to the National. Graig was set up there and the artwork in person is 1000x better than any picture you can take. Its absolutely beautiful and life like. He has an unbelievable talent and for those thinking about buying one of his pieces, you wont be sorry.
Matt
Old 08-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Dan Bretta

Clint, glad to see you were able to snag that.

Graig, that Matty painting is unbelievable...perhaps the finest baseball painting I've ever seen.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Graig Kreindler

You guys are seriously making me blush - thank you so much for such warm compliments. I wish there was an emoticon for a humbled face...

Really though, thank you everyone for making my entrance into this board so easy and exciting, I'm truly amazed and utterly grateful for such love!!

Last edited by GKreindler; 08-07-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Dan Bretta

I think the most compelling thing about your art IMO is your use of light and shadows....my other favorite is Mantle on deck down on one knee...the fans in the stands are in the shadows and the sun is shining down on the Mick. You are truly blessed with an unbelievable talent.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Matt

Posted more pictures in the National Pick up thread.
Matt
Old 08-07-2009, 09:50 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Well,
They aren't in hand, but are in the mail on their way.

Nos 61 and 62 out of 96 from my set.

Graig,
I've looked at your site and am humbled at your talent. I truly believe we all have some special gift and without question yours is holding a brush in your hands.
I think I can say I have not seen a portrait painted anywhere which is so alive and vibrant as that Mathewson. It's like he's standing there in his prime. Breathtaking.
I am acquainted with a few painters and have a general idea of the time and energy that goes into a painting like that. I'm pretty sure it's out of my league, price wise, at this point. I would love to have the money to get one like that of Lou Gehrig.
Have you considered doing prints/Lithos? I may not have thousands to spend on an original, but i'd be hard pressed not to spend $50-200 on a quality poster/print of that painting and a few others on your site.
How about a print pack for the Net54 crowd? You could make a card set? Something else for everyone to collect.

Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 08-08-2009, 12:21 AM
David McDonald

The latest addition to the Manly-Man Cave is this circa 1992 "Conlon Collection" limited edition poster of old Honus. Picked it up on eBay and just got it back from the framer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00675a.jpg (67.1 KB, 446 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00672.jpg (67.4 KB, 445 views)
Old 08-08-2009, 01:16 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Here's a 1930s Lamp that is signed on the reverse by artist, Sasha Heifetz. Interesting, in that a few years ago, REA featured the figural Pitcher portion only (without the lamp).

The bronzed baby shoes are those of Cy Young, who's beloved mother provided a detailed letter of provenance.

JK.... but at least the lamp description is accurate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pitchers 007.jpg (76.2 KB, 426 views)
Old 08-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Graig Kreindler

Wow Mark, thank you so much for those amazing words. I really wish you could have seen the Mathewson painting in person, as the photo just doesn't do it justice. That's the truth.

In regards to reproductions, well, it's kind of a Pandora's box issue. The thing is, to make reproductions 'legally', there's a lot of red tape to get through. If I were to create an image of Mickey Mantle, I mean a one of a kind original painting, then it's totally fine for me to sell the image to a collector. However, once I start making reproductions of it, then it's used for commercial purposes. Once that happens, people like MLB, MLBPA, Mantle's estate, and even the photographers can come after you if they're not asked for their permission to use their products and of course, properly paid. They obviously have every right to, especially the photographers. We've (my agent and I) looked into getting the proper licenses to do prints and what not, but in the end, it just doesn't seem worthwhile. All of those licenses would also have to combine with the cost of printing as well, which in the end would be a king's ransom to get it done right.

At the same time, there are some camps who feel that having prints made of your originals can seriously devalue them. Clients will sometimes ask if we do prints because they want to know that they have something special, something that other people won't have. Personally, I'm on the fence about that aspect.

I would love it I could get the artwork out there to more people, as I know that there's such a large audience who would now be open to buying the artwork, which is definitely a good thing. But at the same time, it worries me.

When I walked around the National, I noticed a couple of booths where dealers were selling lithos and prints, some of which were specifically art companies, and others just regular memorabilia dealers. And I don't know, the prints just didn't do anything for me. Like, there was the Art of the Stars booth in particular, which had the works of Stephen Holland, Bill Purdom, Ron Stark and the like, all of which were prints. The proprietor (Dana) knows his stuff when it comes to art, but understands nothing about the game and how/why we cherish it so much. Granted, he's a good dude, but I feel like he has no emotional attachment to the game. He just wants to make a buck because he knows that these artists are talented, and that there's a demand for their work at such prices. I saw him talking with some collectors, and the pitches that he gave just made me nauseous. Then, I started to get a good look at what was on his walls. It just gave me the chills. I just thought of having my work up there with those guys, and kind of being lost in the shuffle. And that's definitely something I don't want. It's a lot like the stuff on goodsportsart.com. I've done two paintings for Bill Goff and he's sold some prints. He has all of the licenses to do so, and handles everything legally, which is definitely admirable. But in the end, I'm just another artist to him, and I guess if someone doesn't like one of the paintings I did, then they're another 20 for him/her to pick from other artists. And at the same time, not that this is a huge issue, but if I told you how much money I get for each print of his that's sold, I think you'd be livid.

Anywho, I don't really know where I was going with this. I guess I just wanted to voice my thoughts on the whole thing. Sorry if it turned into some obnoxious diatribe. In the end, I don't know if prints would be the route for us to go on, but for right now, I know we're going to stay away from it. However, we are hoping to put some sort of catalog together, or perhaps even have an artbook made, though I think I have to get more paintings done.

Back to the easel!

Last edited by GKreindler; 08-08-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Max Weder

Greg

The issue of reproducing original art work depicting famous players is subject of much litigation, statute law, constitutional protection, bullying and generally much confusion. Both Tiger Woods and The Three Stooges (ok, their estate) have taken great length to stamp out reproduction.

You may very well be on solid legal ground doing reproductions of your work, given the transformative talent, but the push back of a phalanx of lawyers is likely to wear you down.

Here's one article on it for the board from the California Lawyer magazine:

http://www.callawyer.com/cleStory.cf...=883760&evid=1

" Subsequent cases, however, have typically exalted the First Amendment over state law rights of publicity. The California Supreme Court has held that the First Amendment will trump the right of publicity as long as the defendant's use of the plaintiff's name, voice, or likeness involves "significant transformative elements" such that the defendant is not merely trading on the value of them. (Comedy III Productions, Inc. v. Saderup Inc., 25 Cal. 4th 387 (2001), holding that charcoal drawings of the Three Stooges violated the right of publicity because of their lifelike nature and lack of transformative elements;"

Last edited by baseballart; 08-08-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Graig Kreindler

Max,

Thanks so much for the reply to my long-windedness. I definitely remember the whole Woods vs. Rush thing, as I feel like it's become sort of the poster-child for artists who deal with intellectual property in their work.

In the end, you're right, the First Amendment would allow me to jump some of those hurdles, but I feel like the litigious nature of that beast could create a heap of trouble for my lawyer fees.

Actually, in speaking with my lawyer a few years back, he had talked to me about some of those "transformative elements", and much to my surprise (and chagrin) bringing someone/something to life with color was NOT one of them. If that doesn't work, then I don't know what would!!

If you don't mind me asking, has your wife ever run into issues like this? Or does she just do originals? Maybe I should get in touch with some of those guys like Holland and Stark, as I am most curious to see how other artists get around these legal issues. Also, I know for sure that they're plenty of people out there doing paintings/drawings of famous people and using them for commercial purposes (though I suppose they are able to fly under the radar).

Last edited by GKreindler; 08-08-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Already an amazing thread and so early in the month.

The Big Kahuna is marching in this image -somewhere. When I get it in-hand, I'll find the speedy little bugger.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:19 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Graig,
You are most welcome. I don't know enough about the technical aspects of painting/drawing like shadow and highlights, etc...BUT I do know what looks good. That Mathewson is just awesome.
Well, if you figure out a way to do prints.lithos put me down on a mailing list to get the brochure. Alternatively, if you ever decide to paint one like that of Lou Gehrig, and give it away really inexpensively, let me know. OR if I hit the Powerball, I'll be giving you a call.

Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 08-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Graig Kreindler

When it comes down to it, I don't think you need to know anything about art to appreciate it. If it moves you in some way, then that's all you need (in my opinion, that is). I'm honored that I was able to get that out of you.

I'll definitely keep you (and everyone on Net54) in the loop regarding prints/books/catalog and all of that stuff, so no worries. And, I'll definitely be painting more shots of Gehrig from that day, as I have plenty of different angles to choose from. As to their sizes and pricing, well, I guess it will all remain to be seen...
Old 08-09-2009, 06:11 AM
Scott

I really like the explanation of art "moving you" emotionally in some way. When I see detail like that in people's expressions, to me it is almost three dimensional like, almost like the subject is alive. The Matty has been used as my background on my computer for a time now, and it still amazes me how brilliant your work is Graig.

Some of us are destined to struggle along, others have God given talent that they have refined even more as they've gone along. Congratulations again on affecting so many people's love of Baseball with your outstanding work.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Graig Kreindler

Thank you so much, Scott.

Ya know, a lot of people, whether they're friends of mine, or people that I meet for a second at a convention, will say that they 'know nothing about art', and I honestly think that it's a shame. Not that they 'know nothing', but that they think they 'know nothing'.

The fact is, they're certain people who can talk about art with a lot of intimidating words and ideas, stuff that they may have read in history or theory books, or have just managed to formulate on their own. And, I feel like those people can make art seem like it's only something for the overprivileged and well-read, and then to everyone else, art can become pretty intimidating.

So, when someone can look at my own work and say that it just makes them feel a certain way (whether they can describe the feeling or not), I feel like they know everything about art. I guess what I'm trying to say is that acknowledgment of a feeling is more important than a description of it. It's similar to the idea that you (and everyone on this board) collect memorabilia, baseball cards and the like because you have some sort of connection to the stuff. It hits you on a gut level (excuse the Woody Allen reference). Maybe it's because of the attachment to the game. Maybe it's because of the connection with fathers and grandfathers. Maybe it's because you love the way those old uniforms look. No matter, you were drawn into it because it makes you feel something.

I think that's all anyone needs to know about art, that it has the power to do that.

I'm off my soapbox now.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:20 PM

Default I love this one I just picked-up...

A vintage original TYPE I of "Rapid Robert" while tossing his historic opening day no hitter! Don't believe I've seen this one before.

What's really cool is that two weeks ago in Cleveland, I went to the Indians game and they were honoring Feller and some other Cleveland greats. We were nine rows back of home plate so it was something special to see (who says you can't have fun in Cleveland).

fellerNONO.jpg
Old 08-14-2009, 05:11 AM

Default I love these oddball items...

Very Rare 1961 Angels Cowboy Tie Souvenir.

And the Halos have been my team since we moved to So Cal in 1963.

AngelsCowboyTie.jpg
Old 08-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

thanks for the heads up Phil!

Old 08-14-2009, 07:02 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Jimmy...

I LOVE the Angels Bolo Tie. That 1960s oddball stuff is always so cool, and makes for neat display items. But how dorky would it be to actually wear it... was that ever really in style?

Would you mind wearing it to the Net54 Dinner at the Baltimore National (so we all know who you are?)
Old 08-15-2009, 09:30 AM

Default Cameo Miller

I just picked up this Cameo of Dusty Miller - a really sharp image. Hey Al, in your experience, are the non-Cameo ad-backs less common throughout the set?

Thanks,
Andy
Photobucket
Photobucket
Old 08-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Al

Default Pick ups

Hi Andy,
Very much so. Yours is the first one I have seen with that add on the back paper. You might want to check it Andy many of mine had a seperate coverlet paper over the cameo pepsin logo. Many of mine just had a plain whitehead and hoag with the patent dates but like I said when I removed the paper there under it was the nice and clean cameo pepsin logo. A nice pickup Andy: I had miller in my collection and I always liked that pin
Old 08-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Al

Default pick ups

Was finally able to aquire one of these in very nice condition. A rare pin.

Last edited by batsballsbases; 10-15-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by andypcl View Post
I just picked up this Cameo of Dusty Miller - a really sharp image. Hey Al, in your experience, are the non-Cameo ad-backs less common throughout the set?

Thanks,
Andy
Very cool pinback Andy! I've never seen a Cameo pin that advertises anything other than Cameo Pepsin gum.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Rick P

Pleased to find this dated 1926 Fro-Joy Ice Cream box...

Old 08-16-2009, 06:32 PM

Great find Rick! Please show the other pieces you intend to display it with.

Best, Jimmy
Old 08-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Rick P

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Great find Rick! Please show the other pieces you intend to display it with.

Best, Jimmy
I don't know, Jimmy...I've got a serious problem with vintage boxes as it is.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:00 PM

Default Cameo

Thanks for the feedback guys - that's good to hear. Al, the paper is alone and really clean. Here's another few from the same day...
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Old 08-16-2009, 09:09 PM
Al

Default pickups

Andy,
Great pins! You always amaze me on your pick-ups Remember your Jimmie Wilson needs a new home Dont forget!!!
Old 08-16-2009, 09:19 PM

Default Wilson...

Funny you should mention Wilson - I just had the Ward's out tonight while watching my former little league team (Lakeside) get hammered by Chula Vista. A kid hit a homerun that must have gone 350 feet! This 12-year old was 6-2, 205.

Anyway, I wonder what will happen first: me getting Foxx or you getting Wilson?

-A
Old 08-17-2009, 06:09 AM

Default Jeez Rick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtix View Post
I don't know, Jimmy...I've got a serious problem with vintage boxes as it is.

Just an incredible display Rick. Bravo.

BTW Rick... It's nice to know that I'm not the only disturbed individual on the board.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:07 AM

Default I have a spot picked out for this small treasure...

1936-37 Lou Gehrig BF3 pennant.

gehrigpennant.jpg