NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 04-22-2018, 11:00 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Default 2018 NHL Playoffs:

So it looks like Washington is going to be facing Pittsburgh for the hundredth freaking time! I am so fed-up of seeing this year after year. Crosby might suffer another concussion, the 50th of his career, but he'll still make sure that he is there to whip Ovechkin's behind. LOL!

Now I like what's going on in the west: Las Vegas Golden Knights vs. San Jose Sharks - very interesting indeed! Sharks are no longer the same team after acquiring Evander Kane, and the Knights have shocked the hockey world with how good they've been playing all year. Winnipeg Jets vs. Nashville Predators is another exciting match-up. The Jets have a lot of size and power, while Predators are the faster team.

My Leafs need a miracle right now, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Last edited by samosa4u; 04-22-2018 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:18 AM
Al Wright

Think the Lightning will be a tough out for anybody else in the East. Out West I really don't believe in Vegas, and all due respect to them, they should be forever grateful to the NHL expansion draft rules that allowed them to get competitive right away. Will be pulling for the Jets though. With the Rangers not even getting in I'd like to see a Tampa/Winnipeg final. I thought you're Maple Leafs would be good enough to handle Boston. Love to see both you guys and the Blue Jackets force game 7's tonight. I've been a Tortorella fan since his days in NY.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:21 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
So it looks like Washington is going to be facing Pittsburgh for the hundredth freaking time! I am so fed-up of seeing this year after year. Crosby might suffer another concussion, the 50th of his career, but he'll still make sure that he is there to whip Ovechkin's behind. LOL!

Now I like what's going on in the west: Las Vegas Golden Knights vs. San Jose Sharks - very interesting indeed! Sharks are no longer the same team after acquiring Evander Kane, and the Knights have shocked the hockey world with how good they've been playing all year. Winnipeg Jets vs. Nashville Predators is another exciting match-up. The Jets have a lot of size and power, while Predators are the faster team.

My Leafs need a miracle right now, but I don't think that's going to happen.
I took L.A. to go all the way and win it all, aka, 2014, but unfortunately, that obviously didn't happen.
After watching Vegas put out the Kings, I certainly think they have what it takes to go all the way even though they lost last night.

In the east, I took Pitts to go all the way and to meet L.A. in the final but now I am not so sure as these Bruins are playing very good! I personally can't see them losing to Tampa, but, of course, like some of my first round picks, I could be way off?

With no chance of winning the pool I am in, I am rooting for Vegas. James Neal is my wife's distant cousin, plus I'd like to see this Cinderella story continue too.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:00 PM
Mike Lenart

I've enjoyed watching the hockey this year. I do miss the Rangers being in. Rooting for Tampa Bay (I call them Rangers-South). Don't really care for Washington but all other teams are ok. Just like watching good playoff hockey. Mike
Old 05-07-2018, 02:56 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I took L.A. to go all the way and win it all, aka, 2014, but unfortunately, that obviously didn't happen.
After watching Vegas put out the Kings, I certainly think they have what it takes to go all the way even though they lost last night.

In the east, I took Pitts to go all the way and to meet L.A. in the final but now I am not so sure as these Bruins are playing very good! I personally can't see them losing to Tampa, but, of course, like some of my first round picks, I could be way off?

With no chance of winning the pool I am in, I am rooting for Vegas. James Neal is my wife's distant cousin, plus I'd like to see this Cinderella story continue too.
Well, that lasted all of one game! Congrats to Tampa Bay, you played great.

Now that Vegas put out SJ, I want them to continue but getting by Winnipeg, who I think will get by Nashville, will be no easy task. They are playing great for basically a bunch of misfits. I think any team in the east is going to be in tough against a western team, but lots of hockey left yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemb View Post
I've enjoyed watching the hockey this year. I do miss the Rangers being in. Rooting for Tampa Bay (I call them Rangers-South). Don't really care for Washington but all other teams are ok. Just like watching good playoff hockey. Mike
Playoff Hockey is the best. It's a time for the underdogs to shine and make a name for themselves.
I'd like to see Pitts get by Washington, but they are in tough now. If Washington goes on, I hope TB beats them 4 straight.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:53 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Well, that lasted all of one game! Congrats to Tampa Bay, you played great.

Now that Vegas put out SJ, I want them to continue but getting by Winnipeg, who I think will get by Nashville, will be no easy task. They are playing great for basically a bunch of misfits. I think any team in the east is going to be in tough against a western team, but lots of hockey left yet.
Here's hoping Vegas gets by the Caps! Personally, I hope Vegas takes them out 4 straight.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:26 PM
Al Wright

As a Ranger fan I've no love lost for the Capitals. That said, I'm definitely not buying into the whole Vegas thing. I'll give them credit for bringing in good hockey people, and I guess I'd have to give the NHL (and that gnome Bettman) kudos for setting up a draft that allowed an expansion team to be other than a charity case for x number of years. Just can't bet behind the fanbase out there. No dues paying, no blood or tears shed and their already in the finals. Bah!!
Old 05-27-2018, 03:10 PM
Bob Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58pinson View Post
As a Ranger fan I've no love lost for the Capitals. That said, I'm definitely not buying into the whole Vegas thing. I'll give them credit for bringing in good hockey people, and I guess I'd have to give the NHL (and that gnome Bettman) kudos for setting up a draft that allowed an expansion team to be other than a charity case for x number of years. Just can't bet behind the fanbase out there. No dues paying, no blood or tears shed and their already in the finals. Bah!!
With you all the way. Also a lifelong Rangers fan. I wonder how Leafs fans feel...50 years or so since their last Cup and Vegas has a shot in year one.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:38 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Since my Devils aren't in the finals I could give a crap who wins the Cup this year. That said, I'd like to see Vegas pull it off just for the novelty of it all. You know, since I don't care.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 05-28-2018, 12:58 AM
ThreadKiller

Default ...

NOT a big hockey fan (although I tend to watch the semis and Stanley Cup finals) yet I imagine ANYBODY that put down some decent coin on the Golden Knights early will be watching these final games with great interest!

not necessarily a gambler / bettor, but many years ago I was one of those that upon a trip to Vegas, would drop $100 on a long-shot and hope for a stoopid payday, which - in every case - simply resulted in flushing a c-note down the toilet!

kudos to ANYONE that scores this season should the "expansion" Golden Knights capture the Cup!
Old 05-28-2018, 06:36 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Who's watching game 1 tonight?

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
Old 05-28-2018, 06:40 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Sweet PP goal by Miller of Vegas!!

Last edited by CobbSpikedMe; 05-28-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:20 AM
Richard L.

That was quite a game 1. I've always felt of the major North American sports, playoff hockey is the most exciting. Hope it goes a full 7 games
Old 05-29-2018, 09:46 AM
Mike Lenart

Yes, a very exciting game. Hope they all are like that. Mike
Old 05-29-2018, 06:11 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsaddict View Post
That was quite a game 1. I've always felt of the major North American sports, playoff hockey is the most exciting. Hope it goes a full 7 games
It was a great game, although I think Vegas looked a little sloppy in the 1st likely due to the layoff or 1st game Stanley Cup jitters?

The next game should be a better game now that both things are out of the way and the teams have those things behind them.

I like Vegas and think they will take the Caps, but at this point, it is still way too early, barring injuries, to predict that.

Thought Wilson would have got something for the late hit, but nothing seems consistent when it comes to discipline, imo.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...-hit-1.4682022
Old 06-02-2018, 06:11 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Who's watching game three?

Just settling in to watch now.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:16 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Who's watching game three?

Just settling in to watch now.
Wanting Vegas to win I was disappointed in last nights game.

Vegas, imo, is not playing that well or as well as they are capable of or what we have seen from them in previous games.

Not taking anything away from Washington as they are playing good and are forechecking hard. They clearly want it more at this point.

Hopefully Vegas can win the next one to tie it up? If not, then I think this Cinderella story will likely be over.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:15 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

I totally agree that Vegas didn't seem to be playing up to their potential last night. I think they had three post shots though that could've been goals if they were just a bit more inside the pipes. I hope they win the next game to keep it even and interesting.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:18 AM
Todd Schultz

Default Caps looked good

I normally pull for the West in the Finals, but got drafted as a Caps fan this year when my daughter got an internship in DC and started dating a Caps season ticket holder (plus I'm a T.J. Oshie fan, who made a great play on goal #2). They looked real good last night, and Vegas looked lost, as in without a game plan. Way too many shots from out high, nearly all blocked. I get that their last goal in game 2 came from an outside shot that made it through a double screen, but they need better puck movement and have to work on their forechecking. Really, when your top THREE lines have just 3 goals in 3 games you've got issues. Hopefully, they will figure it out---next year.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:31 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

You're right Todd, they took way too many shots from the outside and most were blocked before getting on goal. I found myself asking why they wouldn't take a shot quite a bit too. They really need to get the puck on net more.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:10 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I normally pull for the West in the Finals, but got drafted as a Caps fan this year when my daughter got an internship in DC and started dating a Caps season ticket holder (plus I'm a T.J. Oshie fan, who made a great play on goal #2). They looked real good last night, and Vegas looked lost, as in without a game plan. Way too many shots from out high, nearly all blocked. I get that their last goal in game 2 came from an outside shot that made it through a double screen, but they need better puck movement and have to work on their forechecking. Really, when your top THREE lines have just 3 goals in 3 games you've got issues. Hopefully, they will figure it out---next year.
Yep, those boys, especially their top line have to figure something out, and soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
You're right Todd, they took way too many shots from the outside and most were blocked before getting on goal. I found myself asking why they wouldn't take a shot quite a bit too. They really need to get the puck on net more.
I said/asked myself that numerous times as well last night. Too many passes when the opportunities to shoot were the best choices.
I also thought they dumped and chased it way too much as well, but maybe that has a lot to do with the Caps forecheck?

Either way, they certainly aren't playing to their capabilities, imo, and almost look tired/lazy.

Hopefully the coach and the rest of the boys can pull it together real soon!
Old 06-03-2018, 01:59 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
I said/asked myself that numerous times as well last night. Too many passes when the opportunities to shoot were the best choices.
I also thought they dumped and chased it way too much as well, but maybe that has a lot to do with the Caps forecheck?

Either way, they certainly aren't playing to their capabilities, imo, and almost look tired/lazy.

Hopefully the coach and the rest of the boys can pull it together real soon!
I saw it just the opposite. I thought they almost took too many shots, mostly low percentage. 25-30 footers, mostly straight on, that would be easy saves for Holtby if they got through. Their only realistic hope on those was for a tip or defection--they weren't even good rebound candidates. It was obvious the Caps were clogging up the shooting lanes, blocking 15 shots in the first period alone. Normally I'm all in favor of trying to get the puck to the net in any form as often as possible, but the Caps walled off the outside shot.

That's why I believe they should have dumped and chased more. Forechecking below the goal line was the strength of their productive fourth line--really the mantra of any fourth line--and IMO the Caps defensemen can be worn down with heavy hitting (other than Carlson and maybe Niskanen), which leads to turnovers. Instead the Gknights seemed frustrated. You say they seemed almost tired or lazy, but they just looked befuddled to me.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 06-03-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:10 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

You're correct that they took a lot of shots from the outside that were blocked by the Caps. But there were so many times they had a clear shot and they passed it away instead of taking it. That was what I was referring to. That's when I would be yelling at them to take the shot. It was frustrating to watch.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:39 PM
Todd Schultz

3-1 heading back to Lost Wages. Caps looking good.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:46 PM
Bob Andrews

Third period got pretty physical last night (game 4) so the next one could get real interesting with LV backs to the wall. I’m rooting for the Caps but all things being equal I like to see teams win the Cup at home. Either way I’m watching the rest of this at the hockey bar.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:40 PM
Todd Schultz

And there you have it. Good game, 4-3 with a couple of lead changes. Congrats to the Caps!
Old 06-07-2018, 11:04 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Some of the greatest power forwards of all time never won a cup, such as Lindros, Sundin, Neely, Tkachuk, Iginla, etc. And the way things were going for Ovechkin, I thought he was going to end up joining these guys. Congrats, Ovy!
Old 06-08-2018, 06:56 AM
Al Wright

As a Ranger fan I know how much it meant back in '94 to finally get one, so to all the Capitals fans - enjoy, because you just never know when it's going to come around again.