NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-27-2016, 08:05 AM
Greg Mitchell

Default eBay Pre-War listings way, way down?

Is it just my imagination or are the number of eBay listings pre-war now in steady--and lately very steep-declne, apart from PWCC? I had thought for awhile it was just that I've become more choosy over time but it now seems obvious they have lost many listings, especially in past few weeks. What is the reason? More and better auction houses? More private sales, including here? Simply anger at eBay and fees (though I think sometimes overstated)? Your thoughts...
Old 04-27-2016, 08:11 AM
pete ullman

maybe there is a direct relationship with the recent decline in pre-war threads on this site?
Old 04-27-2016, 08:58 AM

Default eBay listing way down

Hi Greg,

I agree that they are way down as well.

New material shows up much less than during eBay's hayday while overpriced BIN auctions sit in the eBay museum. I can remember the excitement of searching new listings every Sunday night. Ebay has lost much of it's excitement.

Who wants to see the same overpriced auctions over and over. Ebay repeats the same listings over and over in a poor attempt to mask their drop in listings.

Patrick

Last edited by Vintagecatcher; 04-27-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:13 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher View Post
Hi Greg,

I agree that they are way down as well.

New material shows up much less than during eBay's hayday while overpriced BIN auctions sit in the eBay museum. I can remember the excitement of searching new listings every Sunday night. Ebay has lost much of it's excitement.

Who wants to see the same overpriced auctions over and over. Ebay repeats the same listings over and over in a poor attempt to mask their drop in listings.

Patrick

Way down and the ones that are present have prices that are totally out of whack. T206 common PSA 3s for $70 yeah good luck with that guy.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 04-27-2016, 09:27 AM

Default I agree

It seems like it has been down for a good year now.
you may see some good stuff for sale after the REA auction , if people spend to much they may sell off something from their collection . at least that is what I would like to see happen,maybe this sunday
Old 04-27-2016, 10:12 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

could it be that the popularity in prewar is simply declining?

and/or the guys collecting/selling have simply gotten older?

truly not meaning to come off as harsh as it sounds.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:17 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Thought it was just me. My ebay searches have dried up nearly completely. Just same overpriced stuff being relisted over and over and over.

Maybe folks have become convinced that the major AHs are pulling in a nice premium with their slick catalogues and hyperbole and are passing on eBay.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:22 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The big consignment/auctioneers doing pre-war on ebay seem to be doing pretty good if you ask me.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:22 AM
Pa.ul Mat.is.ak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
maybe there is a direct relationship with the recent decline in pre-war threads on this site?
I think it has more to do with you giving up and selling your collection.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:47 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

I wonder how much it has to do with the lack of free listing. I know I only get 50 per month now (I don't have a store) and haven't received a 5000 free listings offer in a few months.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 04-27-2016, 11:15 AM
An$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
I wonder how much it has to do with the lack of free listing. I know I only get 50 per month now (I don't have a store) and haven't received a 5000 free listings offer in a few months.

DJ
That's odd - I also only get the 50 per month, but while I don't get the 5,000 free listings offer a lot, I get several different ones of like 1,000 a few times a month it seems.
T207 (200/200)
E90-1 (118/121)
E90-3 (20/20)
E91A/B/C (85/99)
E93 (17/30)
E95 (12/25)
C59-61 (149/248)
N28/N29 (83/100)
W545 (158/200)
1901-02 Ogden Tabs (1,327/1,560)
1933-41 Goudey (265/478)
1934-36 Diamond Stars (53/108)
1939-41 Play Ball (368/473)

Complete: E47, E49, E50, E75, E76, E229, K4, N88, N91, R136, T29, T30, T38, T51, T53, T68, T73, T77, T118, T218, T220, T225, W512, W513, W542, W552, W565

Founder:
www.prewarcards.com
Old 04-27-2016, 12:17 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Thought it was just me. My ebay searches have dried up nearly completely. Just same overpriced stuff being relisted over and over and over.
Same experience here - Dave
Successful transactions with: polakoff, Paul S, xplainer, marvymelvin, lordstan, Thromdog, pow323, Golfcollector, OldJudge, frankbmd, kamikidEFFL, jcc6252, sam majors, t206fix, brian29575, bbsports, jfkheat
Old 04-27-2016, 01:01 PM

Default Could be...

Could be that people think the current published values are below what they should be. Therefore, collectors/investors are holding what they have.

Spin it 180 degrees. If people thought current published values are above what they should be, then you would see more stuff for sale.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:06 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Cyrus: Can you count, suckers? I say, you'd never use eBay... if you can count!

I have stopped selling prewar baseball cards on eBay for a reason that I've said before but is on point so I will repeat it: math. An occasional seller like me spends 10% on Final Value Fees, 3% on Paypal fees (including charges on shipping), has to go through the hassles of listing and fulfilling orders, and has to risk the uniquely eBay style punitive refund and return rules, nonpaying bidders, etc. Or I can consign prewar baseball cards to any number of AHs for no commission and vig of anywhere from 12%-20%. Am I really going to waste my time with eBay and deal with its hassles over a lousy couple of points on a $1-$100 card?

I've been very pleased with my results off eBay for prewar baseball cards. The smaller AHs have good client bases and offer value for the service. I think more and more sellers are discovering that there are alternatives to eBay that make sense in the context of time and effort and risk...if you can count.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-27-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:17 PM
Steven H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I've been very pleased with my results off eBay for prewar baseball cards. The smaller AHs have good client bases and offer value for the service. I think more and more sellers are discovering that there are alternatives to eBay that make sense in the context of time and effort and risk...if you can count.
+1
Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 04-27-2016, 01:18 PM
Dave

I think it's down in nearly all fields of unique or semi-unique vintage collectibles.

Outside of the giant clearinghouses who get granted special favors and rates, Ebay has done their best to run good smaller sellers out of town, or just make things genuinely more difficult for them, where it's no longer worth their money or their time.

Has nothing to do with a lack of free listings in my opinion. Has to do more with the back end of things. Free listings are great if you don't plan on having a decent sell through rate, or you want to put everything up for a BIN.

Most of the material disappeared when Ebay started charging the same non-tiered rate on final value fees for auctions as it did for BIN's, then really broke the camels back when they decided they wanted a cut of the S&H to.

Ironic thing is they go all out to attract the non-experienced sellers to Ebay, telling them they can just take a picture with a mobile phone, write a two word description, and BAM, instant money.

Last several items myself and my wife have purchased from Ebay from non-veteran sellers, the items have been packed very poorly and/or had pieces missing from them.

It's discouraging sometimes, but it is what it is at this point.

Things have flipped back to the way they were 15+ years ago now. Used to be Ebay was killing the auction house business, now it's come full circle and it's the other way around.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:46 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I don't think it's lack of demand for prewar stuff. I'm a small time seller on ebay, but I still have decent sales. A lot of it is that you have to have new stuff. Whenever I have new inventory, a lot of it gets gobbled up.

I do think that ebay has made it tougher to be a seller with the extremely generous return policies and continuing high bar to maintain Top Seller rating. I think some sellers figure it's just not worth the trouble anymore.

Finally, I think for many sellers, auctions from 99 cents simply don't work for them anymore. It used to be that some lots would go much over expectation and some below, so you would net right around what you expect. However, now if you don't have the right audience, you can get completely wiped out. Therefore, if you do decide to sell, BINs are the way to go.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:10 PM
qu@n nguy3n

if you sell it yourself...you can't bid on it. you can't also sell a trimmed card, or a reworked card. the anonymity of consigning it elsewhere has always been a big factor.

the good ole days you'd buy a trimmed e lot in mastro, send them all to psa...and whatever got graded you would send to another AH. life is good!
Old 04-27-2016, 05:23 PM
Todd C

every few months I see the offer to list more than 50 free listings.

But yes, the amount of pre-war has greatly decreased. I have noticed that T206's and others have seen ending prices increase maybe due to the limited number of listings.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:52 PM
David $tephens

I have learned in my short time that there are few deals on EBay and that this site and Heritage, REA, and Mile High are just as good if not better. If I want something Now, I head straight to EBAy and pay a bit of premium for it. Sellers there for the most part are justified as they have fees to cover. If I am patient and wait for the card, this site will provide minus the EBay overhead.

Example: I want a Hindu back for my collection. eBay has several that are just a bit outside of what I want to spend right now. I'm banking on this site or Heritage to provide.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:05 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
The big consignment/auctioneers doing pre-war on ebay seem to be doing pretty good if you ask me.
I think this is a huge factor. I remember when PWCC auctions used to punctuate every listing with something like, "one of over 4000 lots up for sale." Now they consistently offer over 10k cards in each auction. Could be we're just seeing a shift in how inventory is sold more than it drying up.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:06 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Most of the cards I sell go to comc.com instead of eBay. Their vintage area is growing, but still small. However, they provide some nice benefits:
1) All cards are BIN/BO (sellers have to activate the Best Offer feature).
2) Cards can be crossposted to Amazon.com for better access to a group of buyers.
3) No shipping costs until you actually take delivery of a card, then bulk shipping rates. Can send home 10 or 1,000 cards in one shipment for a $3* fee. (Presuming you bought all cards in normal mode)
4) Find a card on site at a great price and want to resell? Costs almost nothing (just a penny a month for cards listed over a $1 until it sells), and no shipping cost/submission fee to get it listed because it's already there.
5) Ability to buy cards in bulk (through port sales) and turn a profit to buy better cards with, again with almost no fees if you purchase other cards on site.
6) All transactions are done with "store credit" so the only PayPal transactions you get are the ones where you request money to be sent to your account.
7) Once cards are in their warehouse, they do all the finding, shipping, and insurance for you. No driving to post offices and standing there until you make sure the employee scans your package to satisfy eBay.
8) Super low rate of returns. I think I've only had two cards returned out of thousands sold, and those were $2 and $6 or something.

And their 20% cash out fee to deposit funds is pretty low when you figure eBay is 13% and you have to do all the work.
There are just better/different places to sell vintage than eBay.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.