NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-03-2017, 05:40 PM
Jim65's Avatar
Jim65 Jim65 is offline
Jam.es Braci.liano
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 590
Default Why do people feel the need to lie?

I make a $300 offer to a seller on an item, seller replies that he paid more than that. So I check some completed auctions trying to find comparable items to get an idea what my next offer should be and I find this jersey (exact same jersey, 100% conclusive photomatch) sold on a major AH 15 days ago for $225. I ask the seller what his best price was and he replied back that he paid $400 and can't go lower. I sent him a link to the auction and he replies its not the same jersey, hes had it for 30 years. I explain to him how every pinstripe matches, has a exact same size stain in the exact same spot and is missing a stitch in the same spot. I never heard back from.

Personally I don't care how much money a person makes on me if I pay a fair price but why lie?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-03-2017, 06:34 PM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 3,256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
I make a $300 offer to a seller on an item, seller replies that he paid more than that. So I check some completed auctions trying to find comparable items to get an idea what my next offer should be and I find this jersey (exact same jersey, 100% conclusive photomatch) sold on a major AH 15 days ago for $225. I ask the seller what his best price was and he replied back that he paid $400 and can't go lower. I sent him a link to the auction and he replies its not the same jersey, hes had it for 30 years. I explain to him how every pinstripe matches, has a exact same size stain in the exact same spot and is missing a stitch in the same spot. I never heard back from him.

Personally I don't care how much money a person makes on me if I pay a fair price but why lie?
I love it when people get caught in their lies!

Good job, Jim. There is no doubt in my mind now, unless he decides to come clean, that you'll be hearing back from him anytime soon.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-03-2017, 09:50 PM
ALR-bishop ALR-bishop is offline
Al Richter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 5,065
Default

Earlier this year National Geographic devoted almost an entire issue answering this question from a scientific standpoint

And as Dr House said regularly, everyone lies

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 08-03-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-04-2017, 04:40 AM
Jim65's Avatar
Jim65 Jim65 is offline
Jam.es Braci.liano
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Earlier this year National Geographic devoted almost an entire issue answering this question from a scientific standpoint

And as Dr House said regularly, everyone lies
Od course everyone lies, you tell your boss his new baby is cute because the truth will get you fired, you tell your wife the 80 pounds she gained is barely noticable because you dont want to hurt her feelings.

Once a seller loses my trust, there is no way I am going to send him money. The thing is I wanted the jersey and would have spent the $400 had he been honest and upfront.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-04-2017, 07:22 AM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 3,256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Od course everyone lies, you tell your boss his new baby is cute because the truth will get you fired, you tell your wife the 80 pounds she gained is barely noticable because you dont want to hurt her feelings.

Once a seller loses my trust, there is no way I am going to send him money. The thing is I wanted the jersey and would have spent the $400 had he been honest and upfront.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg funny-marriage-do-i-look-fat.jpg (54.9 KB, 291 views)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-07-2017, 11:49 AM
samosa4u's Avatar
samosa4u samosa4u is offline
member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Toronto
Posts: 141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
I make a $300 offer to a seller on an item, seller replies that he paid more than that. So I check some completed auctions trying to find comparable items to get an idea what my next offer should be and I find this jersey (exact same jersey, 100% conclusive photomatch) sold on a major AH 15 days ago for $225. I ask the seller what his best price was and he replied back that he paid $400 and can't go lower. I sent him a link to the auction and he replies its not the same jersey, hes had it for 30 years. I explain to him how every pinstripe matches, has a exact same size stain in the exact same spot and is missing a stitch in the same spot. I never heard back from.

Personally I don't care how much money a person makes on me if I pay a fair price but why lie?
What's he supposed to write in his description?

"Hi everyone, I paid $225 for this jersey and I am looking to make around $100 profit on it. Thanks."

There is not a single seller out there who will tell his customers how much he really paid for his stuff - why would anyone want to do that? Do you tell others how much you paid for your stuff?

I find it extremely silly whenever someone emails me and starts asking how much I paid for my card, when I bought it, and who I bought it from. Pfttt, as if I am going to tell you all that! If I start doing that, then buyers will expect me to make no more than 10% profit. Oh, and wait, add to that the eBay and Paypal fees - how am I supposed to make any money?
__________________
Always looking to buy or trade for vintage hockey, soccer, boxing and non-sports.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-07-2017, 02:22 PM
bobbyw8469's Avatar
bobbyw8469 bobbyw8469 is offline
Robert Williams
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
What's he supposed to write in his description?

"Hi everyone, I paid $225 for this jersey and I am looking to make around $100 profit on it. Thanks."

There is not a single seller out there who will tell his customers how much he really paid for his stuff - why would anyone want to do that? Do you tell others how much you paid for your stuff?

I find it extremely silly whenever someone emails me and starts asking how much I paid for my card, when I bought it, and who I bought it from. Pfttt, as if I am going to tell you all that! If I start doing that, then buyers will expect me to make no more than 10% profit. Oh, and wait, add to that the eBay and Paypal fees - how am I supposed to make any money?
Touche.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-07-2017, 03:54 PM
packs packs is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,308
Default

I find there are actually plenty of sellers who will tell you what they paid for something. It usually comes in the form of "Well, I've got X into it, so....."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-07-2017, 04:08 PM
bobbyw8469's Avatar
bobbyw8469 bobbyw8469 is offline
Robert Williams
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I find there are actually plenty of sellers who will tell you what they paid for something. It usually comes in the form of "Well, I've got X into it, so....."
I believe the OP stated that the seller used such a statement, however, he lied about what he had in the item.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-07-2017, 04:23 PM
D.P.Johnson's Avatar
D.P.Johnson D.P.Johnson is offline
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: California
Posts: 531
Default

Perhaps he forgot how much he paid for it.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not sure how I should feel about this? Fballguy Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 17 08-05-2017 11:44 AM
I feel sorry... HOF Auto Rookies Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports 37 09-26-2014 08:35 PM
Please make me feel better Archive Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 36 05-19-2005 06:50 PM
Well If I Ever Feel the Need to Own the Best.... Archive Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 20 04-14-2005 07:12 AM
Do you feel like we do..... Archive Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 6 12-11-2003 09:16 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 AM.


ebay GSB