NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main PreWWII Forums > Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-13-2017, 09:41 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I think we all love Al (hey Al). I love him as much as the next guy, in a brotherly way of course. That said I hope there is a way to find a better way to close in the future. It was a great auction. I won some items and consign and will continue all of the above. But when a strategy is to either stay awake for 24 hours or set your alarm clock to get up at the closing, it would seem a better way to end can be had. We love ya' Al. I will continue bidding, consigning, hanging out with you....inviting you to my house, but please, from the bottom of my collector/dealer/investor heart, find a different way to close. Great auction, can't wait for the next one!!

+1. A sign that an auction is running too long is when you wake up at 4:30 AM to go to the bathroom and are still the high bidder and then get up at 8:00 AM to find that you've been outbid at some point before the close!

and with that said, I also agree that Al is a great guy!!
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.

Last edited by wolf441; 08-13-2017 at 09:44 AM. Reason: added homage to Al...
Old 08-13-2017, 12:08 PM
Marc S.

Well - as a collector based in London, I very much appreciate all auctions that go past 1 a.m. EST, because I sleep like a baby, and deal with bids when I wake up in the morning.

Some of the other auction formats force me in that "stay up all night" or just don't bid category, and many a times I've went to bed and woke up a loser. (Well - every day for that matter, but I digress)
Old 08-13-2017, 12:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

It seems unnecessary and, frankly, obnoxious, to me. And that of course applies to all auctions with this I'll end it when I feel like it at some ungodly hour format. I cannot believe any significant additional revenue for consignors is generated by this model as opposed to either a fixed ending time which forces guys to bid, or a Heritage-style ending where most lots are over early.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-13-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:06 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcmac View Post
As a southworth collector and relative, the southworth cabinet is my new favorite piece.

https://loveofthegameauctions.com/mo...entoryid=13489

Thanks to Al for offering up another great auction.

Mac
I've been reading about Southworth and his son in "The Game Must Go On." Tons of respect for them, and really powerful story.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:06 PM
Greg Schwartz

Doubt we will all agree on the best closing method however Heritage, who I think we can all agree is #1, has a great system. Heritage gets top dollar and their consignors seem to be happy. I agree that leaving the auction open endlessly like this is pretty silly.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:12 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcmac View Post
As a southworth collector and relative, the southworth cabinet is my new favorite piece.

https://loveofthegameauctions.com/mo...entoryid=13489

Thanks to Al for offering up another great auction.

Mac
Hi Mac, do you happen to know how long Billy lived in Nebraska before he moved to Ohio? I know that Harvard, Nebraska claims him.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:29 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I think we all love Al (hey Al). I love him as much as the next guy, in a brotherly way of course. That said I hope there is a way to find a better way to close in the future. It was a great auction. I won some items and consign and will continue all of the above. But when a strategy is to either stay awake for 24 hours or set your alarm clock to get up at the closing, it would seem a better way to end can be had. We love ya' Al. I will continue bidding, consigning, hanging out with you....inviting you to my house, but please, from the bottom of my collector/dealer/investor heart, find a different way to close. Great auction, can't wait for the next one!!

This is well stated, and I would "+1" it, but the only difference is that I've made it a personal policy to not consign to AHs that use this asinine closing system. I understand that LOTG's reputation is second to none, but with so many options, I feel my business should go to AHs that are more "bidder-friendly." I realize I'm just one dude, so who really cares, though I can't be alone in the sentiment.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:40 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
This is well stated, and I would "+1" it, but the only difference is that I've made it a personal policy to not consign to AHs that use this asinine closing system. I understand that LOTG's reputation is second to none, but with so many options, I feel my business should go to AHs that are more "bidder-friendly." I realize I'm just one dude, so who really cares, though I can't be alone in the sentiment.
The entire premise of this closing method, as far as I can discern, is just dumb. The idea is a bidder has a sum of money in play in the auction and, if he gets outbid at 4 am, will suddenly spring into action and deploy that money on other items he is qualified to bid on in the after hours session. Seems ludicrous for a number of reasons. First of all, many people like me go to bed and aren't paying attention to anything at 4 or 5 am other than badly needed sleep. Second, even though I bid early on items doesn't mean I still want them two weeks later. Third, closing eBay style on a sat night is a good way of having a frenzied close of bidding and catching people who will pay a premium to wrap it up and get certainty. Maybe people who just knocked off a few glasses of wine. It just makes so little sense. And if any sense. 15 minute rule per lot is simple enough.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 08-13-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:47 PM

the premise is not ludicrous
Old 08-13-2017, 02:41 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
The entire premise of this closing method, as far as I can discern, is just dumb. The idea is a bidder has a sum of money in play in the auction and, if he gets outbid at 4 am, will suddenly spring into action and deploy that money on other items he is qualified to bid on in the after hours session. Seems ludicrous for a number of reasons. First of all, many people like me go to bed and aren't paying attention to anything at 4 or 5 am other than badly needed sleep. Second, even though I bid early on items doesn't mean I still want them two weeks later. Third, closing eBay style on a sat night is a good way of having a frenzied close of bidding and catching people who will pay a premium to wrap it up and get certainty. Maybe people who just knocked off a few glasses of wine. It just makes so little sense. And if any sense. 15 minute rule per lot is simple enough.
Bliggety won 2 cards due to this " dumb" closing