NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 07-16-2013, 10:57 PM
Dan

Default Do You Care about the ASG?

I've heard over the years that the ASG has lost its prestige. Do you agree? If so, how has the game lost its pedigree?

Looking for anything Bagwell or Biggio. Also interested in Don Wilson, JR Richard, Jimmy Wynn, Glenn Davis, Mike Scott, Ken Caminiti, Cool Papa, Paige, and DiMaggio. Framed auto's are a plus. Also, any Type 1's of Josh Gibson.

"I had to fight all my life to survive. They were all against me, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."- Ty Cobb
Old 07-16-2013, 11:03 PM
Mikeknapp

I still enjoy watching it but interleague play has taken some of it's luster.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:13 PM
Dan

Agreed. Inter-league play has a sense of competition, while the ASG seems more "buddy-buddy" than any regular season games, in my opinion.

Looking for anything Bagwell or Biggio. Also interested in Don Wilson, JR Richard, Jimmy Wynn, Glenn Davis, Mike Scott, Ken Caminiti, Cool Papa, Paige, and DiMaggio. Framed auto's are a plus. Also, any Type 1's of Josh Gibson.

"I had to fight all my life to survive. They were all against me, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."- Ty Cobb
Old 07-17-2013, 02:52 AM
Billy French

I like it more since they put some meaning in it
Old 07-17-2013, 07:28 AM
P.hil €lli$

I think the reason that it has lost it's luster is the over-exposure of professional sports on tv today.
When I was a kid in the 1970s, I looked forward to the All-Star game because you never had a chance to see National League players until the playoffs/World series each year. Not every Red Sox game was on television when I was young and you obviously didn't have ESPN, cable tv, satellite tv, etc. which shows you highlights of every game on a loop for each morning.

Also, with interleague play and free agency, players move from team to team and league to league on a regular basis. Back before free agency, or in it's infancy, there was more league pride. It was National League players vs. American League players. Now players change teams and leagues too frequently, so that "Us vs. Them" mentality has been lost.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Most all of MLB and certainly the All Star Game mean almost nothing to me. I could pretty much care less.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Barry Sloate

What I don't like is all the pomp and ceremony. Why can't they just play baseball? Everything else is a distraction to me.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:21 AM

I get tired of the unwritten rules. Puig is exciting, but hasn't played enough so shouldn't be in the game? 38 games isn't enough, but Rivera has only pitched 34 innings. So less than four complete games is enough to be considered great??? (Sorry, but I'm still not a fan of the credit given to the closer...)
Old 07-17-2013, 10:24 AM
John Hanssen

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenv View Post
I get tired of the unwritten rules. Puig is exciting, but hasn't played enough so shouldn't be in the game? 38 games isn't enough, but Rivera has only pitched 34 innings. So less than four complete games is enough to be considered great??? (Sorry, but I'm still not a fan of the credit given to the closer...)
(-1) Apples and Oranges -
these two stats have nothing to do with each other.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenv View Post

I love the ASG, I loathe the HR Derby and Chris Berman.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 07-17-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:57 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

lets look at this in a different light. Lets compare the ASG to the ASG's in hockey basketball and the pro-bowl. The MLB all star game is far and away the better of them all. Meaning most like an actual regular season game.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:53 AM
John Hanssen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post

I love the ASG, I loathe the HR Derby and Chris Berman.
Best statement I have read in a long time (I loathe Chris Berman) they need to shut up and let us try to enjoy the event!!!!!

Last edited by nebboy; 07-18-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Billy French

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
lets look at this in a different light. Lets compare the ASG to the ASG's in hockey basketball and the pro-bowl. The MLB all star game is far and away the better of them all. Meaning most like an actual regular season game.
Im with you