NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 03-04-2019, 10:10 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default Trout to Philly in 2021?

That's the rumor being posted by ESPN.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 03-04-2019, 11:34 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

That is why I was surprised when the Phillies signed Harper. The belief that the team would go hard after Trout when he is available has been out there almost from the start of his career, since he grew up a Phillies fan.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:16 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

If Harper is worth $330M, Trout should be the first Billion $ player.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:25 PM
Shain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
I don't know about a billion... LOL. But I read an article recently on mlb.com saying how Trout could eclipse Harper with a $350 million contract. Ugghhh.. Trout could feasibly DOUBLE what Harper got. I don't think it will happen because Trout will be like 29 years old when/if he hits free agency. So I would assume teams are going to learn from past signings of huge contracts for players near/over 30 years old, no matter who it is. I mean look how amazing Pujols was from 2001 - 2011 and look how that turned out. Look how amazing Cabrera was before signing his monster deal with Detroit and injury bug has hit him hard as well.

One thing is for sure though, Trout has been playing like a $40-$50 million/per year player thus far into his career, if you compare him to everyone else.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2019, 03:23 PM
H Murphy

If Mookie Betts has another monster year here in Boston, can`t image what he`ll be looking at. Between him, Bogearts, Sale, and Porcello the Sox are most likely looking at signing just 2 of them. On another note, being a contract year watch Sale make all 32-34 starts and be a top 3 Cy Young contender. With Price at 31+ for the next 4 years don`t see even the Sox with 2 starters at that number.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
3 playoff games in his entire career. Perhaps the value of any non-pitcher is overstated somewhat, I don't know.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:48 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

The Angels cannot let Trout get to FA. If Trout continues on the same career path, he will be one of the all time greats of the game. You simply cannot let players like this leave under any circumstances.

Put a 400 mil. 10 year deal in front of him , he's foolish not to sign. I could care less if Trout said he won't talk contract now or during season.

The Angels need to get much better pitching to help get to post season play. Once again, they cornered the mediocre pitching market with their signings and that's not going to be enough.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:16 AM

I would assume zero chance Trout would ever go to Philly. I have no idea what Harper is doing there either. Trout has no pressure and no media to bother him as long as he plays for the Angels. Harper is going to find out the hard way how annoying the media can be when he inevitably stinks. I can't see Trout wanting any piece of that headache.

Can't see him playing for the Yankees for the same reason. If he goes anywhere, which I doubt, another quiet market would be the best place for him.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:11 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I would assume zero chance Trout would ever go to Philly. I have no idea what Harper is doing there either.
Trout is from New Jersey, grew up as a diehard Phillies fan. still attends Eagles games, etc. Maybe he will stay with the Angels or go somewhere else, buy you seem way off with your chances of him signing with the team he grew up rooting for.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...-play-phillies

https://www.philly.com/philly/sports...-20170905.html

https://www.courierpostonline.com/vi...05/13/9036051/

Last edited by Bored5000; 03-05-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:36 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Packs, I don't know where you live but you're spot on about the LA media market.

The Angels are an afterthought in LA and Trout quietly goes about his business. That won't be true if he decides to head to FA and sign elsewhere as every waking moment will be under surveillance.

The pressure on Harper in Philly is going to be immense. But when you want the most money that comes with the territory.

It will be interesting to see how he performs under the circumstances.

He's already made a major gaff in wanting to bring a championship to DC, said during his intro as a Philly. 10 years and 330 mil, you had better get your team and city right.

Is anyone aware of psychological testing / profiling of players entering the FA market via smaller markets to large markets? I never hear anything about this, and I find it hard to believe teams are not in tune with this.

The media markets and pressures are so different between smaller markets and large markets.

I realize these are extreme examples, but Carl Crawford and Jason Bay are classic examples of small market high performers going to larger markets and busting.

Reggie Jackson is a complete opposite. The brighter the light, the more he shined.

For now, the Phillies are a nice team on paper, but let's see how they play under pressure from day 1. Their window to win is slim, this year and next.

Machado to the Padres? No pressure and SD is where players go for their careers to die.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
Trout is from New Jersey, grew up as a diehard Phillies fan. still attends Eagles games, etc. Maybe he will stay with the Angels or go somewhere else, buy you seem way off with your chances of him signing with the team he grew up rooting for.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...-play-phillies

https://www.philly.com/philly/sports...-20170905.html

https://www.courierpostonline.com/vi...05/13/9036051/

If where you were born was the only factor as to where you play, sure I might be off base. But what about Trout's quiet tenure in MLB leads you to believe he seeks the limelight of the Philadelphia media?
Old 03-05-2019, 04:38 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
If where you were born was the only factor as to where you play, sure I might be off base. But what about Trout's quiet tenure in MLB leads you to believe he seeks the limelight of the Philadelphia media?
He has talked about playing for the Phillies at some point in his career because it was the local team, the team he grew up rooting for. Maybe he will stay with the Angels, but Trout still follows the Philly sport teams because he grew up rooting for them. The discussion of Trout and the Phillies are not just in a vacuum; he has discussed it in the past.

I realize everyone is different, but do you think Lebron James would have ever went back to Cleveland to win a championship if he was not a local kid?

Bryce Harper has said that he discussed Philadelphia extensively with Trout. Do you think Harper would have signed there if Trout dumped on playing there?

Last edited by Bored5000; 03-05-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:25 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

If Trout is smart he will stay right where he is. When you are in a good situation the worst thing you can do is leave for something better.
I’ll give you 2 names as examples - Albert Pujols and Griffey Jr. If Trout plans on leaving sell everything you got.