NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 02-28-2019, 01:25 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Default Harper, Phils reach 13-year deal

Citing sources...not confirmed.

The Phillies and outfielder Bryce Harper have agreed to a historic 13-year deal, sources told MLB.com on Thursday afternoon. The deal is worth $330 million, MLB Network insider Jon Heyman reported -- a value that would be the largest contract in MLB and North American pro sports history. The deal does not include any opt-outs, according to ESPN's Jeff Passan. The deal also includes a full-no trade clause, a source told MLB.com's Mark Feinsand.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:04 PM
Dave

Starting to feel better about the Yanks signing Aaron Hicks and his 4.7WAR at 7 years / $70 million.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:09 PM

13 years and no opt out is crazy. They still need a rotation behind Nola to compete though. If Bryce wants a championship he was better off in Washington.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:20 PM
Brandon Bailey

Finally a contract that will make Chris davis contract look like a bargain.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:51 PM
Chase

I am a Dodgers' fan so thank you Phillies! Was hoping the Dodgers were not going to sign him.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:13 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

He'd better grow some very thick skin very quickly!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-28-2019, 05:17 PM
Shain

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
13 years and no opt out is crazy. They still need a rotation behind Nola to compete though. If Bryce wants a championship he was better off in Washington.
Maybe. But looking at 2018 stats, it's pretty much a "push" IMO.

Nationals Top Starters:
Max Scherzer ERA 2.53
Tanner Roark ERA 4.34
Gio Gonzalez ERA 4.57
Stephen Strasburg ERA 3.74
Jeremy Hellickson ERA 3.45

Team Overall ERA: 4.04 WHIP 1.25 SAVES 40

Phillies Top Starters:
Aaron Nola ERA 2.37
Jake Arrieta ERA 3.96
Nick Pivetta ERA 4.77
Vince Velasquez ERA 4.85
Zach Eflin ERA 4.36

Team Overall ERA: 4.14 WHIP 1.29 SAVES 44

The overall pitching performance of both teams was nearly identical with Washington posting a slightly better ERA and WHIP. The Phillies seem to be generally younger (at least with regard to the pitching staff, the hitting line ups both pose a wealth of young talent) so there's more room for growth/improvement among the Phillies rotation.

I think the Braves are who Bryce and co. may be competing against more so than the Nats. Their 2018 team stats: ERA: 3.75 WHIP 1.28 SAVES 40 were outstanding and posted an even better team ERA than the Mets (despite their superb starting rotation and Cy Young winner deGrom). The Braves have several young core hitters posed to do big things and with perennial all-star production from Freddie Freeman, they seem to be the class of the NL East until proven otherwise IMO.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
It's an absurd contract to give a 26 year old who has had his share of ups and downs, and some significant injuries, and is an average at best outfielder. 2018 WAR 1.3 by the way.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-28-2019 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:59 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

It’s unbelievable to me that there are teams out there still handing out these contracts which have very rarely worked out for the team. I’m just glad it’s not my team.
On the bright side, maybe the money given to Harper, Machado and Arenado will hopefully avoid a labor strike in a couple of years. With $300 mil being thrown around it’s hard to cry about player salaries. Throw in Corbin, McCutchen and Pollock and I would say the players are doing ok.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:32 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
He'd better grow some very thick skin very quickly!
Harper has a habit of not running hard or even getting all the way to first on fly balls, Philly fans will kill him if he does that now.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:10 AM
Robert J. Miller

I am a Dodgers' fan so thank you Phillies! Was hoping the Dodgers were not going to sign him.
Yesterday 06:20 PM

Is this what sour grapes sound like?

Seriously though, I would have preferred if they signed Machado or just waited for Trout to hit the market in two years.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:25 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Machado Harper and Trout are frequently left out (or exit early) from the postseason. In basketball signing a big free agent will make a difference in your team immediately. A free agent position player in baseball is going to help your team as much as they helped their old team. Baseball teams win mostly when a bunch of young talented players come up and get it done early in their career - the Astros with Altuve, Correa Bregman and Springer or the Sox with Betts Bogaerts, Benintendi and Devers along with some great pitching. The Phillies were rebuilding nicely but I’m not sure I like their direction this off season.
No one has sour grapes over the Harper signing. Not that many teams were interested in giving a guy $30 mil to hit .250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post

Seriously though, I would have preferred if they signed Machado or just waited for Trout to hit the market in two years.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

Maybe if he put up a WAR last year higher than 1.3 he would have demanded and received 40 million.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:52 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post

You really would have preferred Machado? In Philly, he would be crucified for his lack of hustle and nonchalance attitude within a week. Simply too much baggage and crap with that guy.

Trout is the player to get assuming he hits the market and the Angels don't lock him up.

Last edited by KCRfan1; 03-01-2019 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Run on sentence
Old 03-01-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagwell-1994 View Post
Maybe. But looking at 2018 stats, it's pretty much a "push" IMO.

Nationals Top Starters:
Max Scherzer ERA 2.53
Tanner Roark ERA 4.34
Gio Gonzalez ERA 4.57
Stephen Strasburg ERA 3.74
Jeremy Hellickson ERA 3.45

Team Overall ERA: 4.04 WHIP 1.25 SAVES 40

Phillies Top Starters:
Aaron Nola ERA 2.37
Jake Arrieta ERA 3.96
Nick Pivetta ERA 4.77
Vince Velasquez ERA 4.85
Zach Eflin ERA 4.36

Team Overall ERA: 4.14 WHIP 1.29 SAVES 44

The overall pitching performance of both teams was nearly identical with Washington posting a slightly better ERA and WHIP. The Phillies seem to be generally younger (at least with regard to the pitching staff, the hitting line ups both pose a wealth of young talent) so there's more room for growth/improvement among the Phillies rotation.

I think the Braves are who Bryce and co. may be competing against more so than the Nats. Their 2018 team stats: ERA: 3.75 WHIP 1.28 SAVES 40 were outstanding and posted an even better team ERA than the Mets (despite their superb starting rotation and Cy Young winner deGrom). The Braves have several young core hitters posed to do big things and with perennial all-star production from Freddie Freeman, they seem to be the class of the NL East until proven otherwise IMO.

The Nationals signed Corbin this offseason. The Phillies didn't sign anybody to start. The Braves prospects lie entirely on their prospects. Soroka is already hurt and so is Vizcaino. It's going to be a hit or miss year for them.

All this is without even talking about the monster line up Washington has on top of aces in Scherzer, Strasburg and Corbin. Heading into a playoff series that's quite a three headed dragon to deal with.

Last edited by packs; 03-01-2019 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:28 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
The Nationals signed Corbin this offseason. The Phillies didn't sign anybody to start. The Braves prospects lie entirely on their prospects. Soroka is already hurt and so is Vizcaino. It's going to be a hit or miss year for them.

All this is without even talking about the monster line up Washington has on top of aces in Scherzer, Strasburg and Corbin. Heading into a playoff series that's quite a three headed dragon to deal with.
Harper just wanted the most $$$$ to feed his stupid ego, I don't think winning matters to him so much.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Harper just wanted the most $$$$ to feed his stupid ego, I don't think winning matters to him so much.
I agree, which is especially surprising since he's been described as not being a winner by multiple people and he always seemed miffed about it.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:02 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I agree, which is especially surprising since he's been described as not being a winner by multiple people and he always seemed miffed about it.
Even if he didn't have confidence in the Nationals, he could have gone to the Dodgers obviously an elite team. Not like the difference in money would have had any effect on his life, at that point it's funny money.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-01-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:39 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Sounds like sour grapes. The media and the owners played right into it too.

I just don't see him as one of the elite all things considered. I guess we can expect lots more of these contracts as more .239 32 HR and 84 RBI players enter free agency. Ticket prices and hotdogs are about to get more expensive.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:09 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Anyone want to guess the over / under on how many years into this contract we get before someone or everyone is looking for an out?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 03-05-2019, 08:38 PM

I'm predicting he will have a career statistically pretty much like Fred Lynn did.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Anyone want to guess the over / under on how many years into this contract we get before someone or everyone is looking for an out?

1 month.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:40 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Harper has a habit of not running hard or even getting all the way to first on fly balls, Philly fans will kill him if he does that now.
I've watched most every game of Harper's career. He also doesn't run hard to first base on ground balls, unless he smells a base hit. And, I've seen Harper get a single off a ball he hit off the right field wall AND barely make it to second base on a ball he hit over the center fielder's head, because he lingered at home plate to admire what he thought was going to be home runs. I say, Good Riddance!!
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:35 PM

The allure of both Harper and Machado is that they are relatively young as free agents hitting the market since they both started in the bigs as teenagers. Hence the huge money. I don't think either is a generational player deserving $300M. Neither has an AROD type resume entering free agency.

Bryce has two monster seasons (.330 BA and 1.109 OPS in 2015 and .319 and 1.008 OPS in 2017) and then a few just OK seasons mixed in. Just a weird roller coaster of a career thus far. Shows superstar talent and then has weird clunker seasons. With plenty of questions about being a good teammate etc.

In my opinion Machado has a much weaker case than Bryce for the big money. He has similar questions about being a good teammate / head case. But he's never had a monster year. And the best OPS of his career was last year at .905. Career .822 OPS guy gets $300M? Defense can't possibly be THAT good. I understand you have to overpay to as a small market team (my Ms did the same thing with Cano), but I just don't understand the allure of Machado as a huge $ player, especially given his antics in the playoffs last year.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:23 AM
pete ullman

I am not a huge fan of either player for that kind of money for so many years!! And I am very happy that my Yankees have not pursued either one of them...Seeing as such long term lucrative contracts have all but exploded in their faces over the last 15 years!!!
Old 03-06-2019, 07:21 AM
qu@n nguy3n

Harper is the bridge to trout for Philly, potentially. If Harper can contribute 8-9 wins the next 2 years for Philly and make them a contender, then that would be the cherry on top for trout to go there in 2 years. That ballpark is a bandbox, if Harper stays healthy he will put up numbers.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:31 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Let's assume that Philly wins the Series the next 2 years. Is there incentive for Philly to go after Trout and tie up an even larger contract than Harper? Money is probably better spent on arms.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:46 PM
Bob Hamlin

Say what you want to, Harper in Citizens Bank Park, if healthy is 35-40 bombs a year. Its funny seeing Yankees guys talk about money. It's 21-26 million a year and in 5-6 years, that will be normal superstar money. It's a great signing especially if the NL goes with the DH in the upcoming years.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:06 PM

Default Harper will produce more

One of the issues being overlooked is Harpers mental engagement with the team he will be playing for now.
I see this all the time in my business. Highly engaged employees produce more when they are happier and they have people around them that make them feel like a great team.
I'm not sure he wasn't happy in Washington but from the reports and the interviews there seems to be the type situation he was really looking for in Philly. He's already commented about bringing in Trout in 2 years.

He wants to win. Shorter porch. Motivated and excited. Highly engaged = better production, IMO.