NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 04-03-2013, 07:58 PM
N.ate A.dams

Default Classical music fans? Place to put favorite works!

Hey all, I'm a big fan of all music, but especially of "classical" music. Typically people think that this means you never played sports. I've always gotten that a lot, people sharing their shock and amazement that I'm athletic by saying "Whoa, you're athletic?!?!?!", simply because my main focus is music, and because I direct a church choir and lead the praise band. I understand that thought process, but, as it may be with some of you - this wasn't the case. Thankfully, I've always had well-rounded interests, and played baseball, basketball, and football throughout high school. I also would be in the "musicals" such as Les Miserables.

ANYWAYS, just wanted to offer a place for people to share some of their favorite works.

The criteria: Pre-1920, not because there is nothing good after that, but because I want to stay reasonably focused. I love virtually any GOOD music (which is nearly non-existent today), but I think it will get rather tangential if we post musical links from any era.

Share any context that makes a piece of music more "moving" or whatever, whether it's personal or historical.

Anyways --- I'll start with a piece that's not the most brilliant, but is definitely one of the most popular, and ripped off --- the melody for "All by Myself" was taken from the 2nd movement of this piece.

Context, the pianist in this link was born blind, and is brilliant.

Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhKJN...B7E75E10554378

Last edited by npa589; 04-03-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:34 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Mahler

I like just about all works by Gustav Mahler.
I have a Pandora station of his stuff, and while it does mix in other composers, I can almost always pick out the Mahler pieces.

This is relaxing to me (although Mahler's music is not particularly "soft")
I think I will play some Gustav tonight while lamenting about my Phillies 0-2 start.......

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:29 AM
David Pierson
Banned

Orpheus In The Underworld

Last edited by Cardboard Junkie; 04-04-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:15 AM
N.ate A.dams

Good stuff David and Brian. Yea Brian, Mahler's 9th Symphony is definitely not ideal for a birthday party! His 5th symphony is also one of my favorites.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:29 PM

I'm a classical fan. Lucky to have grown up in a family that listened to classical music on the record player. Favorite composers include Rachmaninoff, Prokofiev, Beethoven, Handel, Bach, Samuel Barber, Ligeti, Panderecki.

Rachmaninoff's Piano Concert #2 is one of my all time favorites.

Here's a nice piano piece I listened to recently.

Svietaslov Richter plays J.S. Bach Prelude and Fugue Richter was a great Soviet pianist who didn't like playing in the U.S., in part because of political protests. But he's a wonderful player. As with his countryman Sergei Prokofiev, Richter actually had no interest in political issues. He considered himself a musician not a politician.

Last edited by drc; 04-04-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Richard Simon

Not classical but I am going to the Crossroads Festival tonite at MSG and the headliner is Eric Clapton. Four and a half hours of classic guitar music.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow