NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Default Careful! Ebay hackers are at it again

Posted By: Bob

This was a new one for me. During the final 10 minutes of an ebay auction on Sunday night, the listing for the card disappeared from my "My Ebay." I know a lot of us use My Ebay to follow cards so I give this word of warning. My first guess was that there was a late sale of the card and the card was removed from ebay. Frantically I began searching for the card in case My Ebay had a glitch as all the other cards, including a T207 Rassmuson from the same seller were still showing. I had forgotten that I had a snipe set on the particular card, a T207 Fournier, so was trying my best to get a late bid in on the card. I finally found the card (can't even remember how), but it showed I won. I thought something looked strange because although the web page looked identical, the seller feedback was 96.4 and I don't usually buy with a feedback that low. Well, to make the story short, I clicked on the "Pay Now" button and thank goodness this time I used I would send a check instead of using Paypal. Everything seemed fine, I addressed my envelope, wrote my check and got ready to send it in the morning. The next morning I couldn't get on ebay, my password had been changed. I checked my emails and saw that there were 6 emails from ebay indicating transactions were null and void and removed from ebay. the first 5 were T210s I had won, paid for, received recently and feedback left. The last one was the T-207 Fournier. I then got an email from paypal saying that my attempt to access my Paypal account had been denied.
This guy had stolen my ebay password then tried to get in to my Paypal account. I immediately changed my ebay password, email password, paypal password but it took 3 hours. I immediately contacted the seller, booksnbeaches, and told her. She was as surprised as I was but thanked me for letting her know and also told me she wondered what had happened since I had purchased cards in the past from her without any problem. I looked on the completed T207 Rassmusson web page which berkut had won and noticed the seller's feedback was showing 100.
It was all very weird and I am just sharing it so everyone here will be careful. These damn cretins are everywhere! My transaction was able to be completed by the seller and I but I had a lot of hours of anxiety. I can only conclude that the miscreant had somehow duplicated the T207 Fournier web page and made the "Pay Now" button into a phishing tool to steal my password...

Old 08-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert Klevens

Have you tried the Paypal Security Key? It works with your Ebay account as well.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

I've never heard of ebay being taken over but I have heard of people clicking on links in emails and being taken to a parallel fake site. Did you navigate to ebay's site directly by a bookmark or typing its address, or did you click something that took you to a parallel site? What was Ebay's explanation?

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 08-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Ebay was too busy (or didn't know) to give me an explanation. All I can figure out is that someone was able to duplicate the correct web page and somehow I used a link to get to it since I could not get there through my My ebay page links. It was undoubtedly when I clicked on the "Pay Now" link that I was sent to a phishing page which got my name and password. I really don't understand how it happened, it was done so quickly but the bottom line is that someone was able, through the wonderful miracles of technology, to have an almost identical web page for the T207 Fournier. Perhaps there is some easier explanation, that I accidentally clicked on some other link somewhere, but I don't recall doing that and it was awfully coincidental based on what happened. I guess the bottom line is: it beats the heck out of me, but I wanted to just warn people to be careful. I must admit I am just a tad more paranoid now about using my password on ebay for any purpose....