NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-07-2011, 07:07 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Definitely count me in on that proposition!!

And my commission would be only 1 Painting per year
Old 12-08-2011, 02:17 AM

Incredible, Graig. The Robinson painting is simply incredible. You are the Rembrant of sports art.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey guys, thank you SO much for all of your kind words. It really means a lot to me that you'd take time from your day to try and assuage my fears. Lord knows I need it.

Sean, regarding the hint, well, I definitely can't give an obvious one. But let's just say that the collector has a lot of influence outside of the hobby.

Andrew, if I can make a Mets hater actually like that painting, then I think I might have done something right! YES!!

Scott, thank you - and man, do I hope you're right!

Pete, thank you as well. I think the Matty was the start of something really special. I still can't take credit for it though - it's all Conlon!!

Jacksons, your words mean a great deal, really. I just wish you would be there that night to convince me to not worry!

Mark, you're the man. And, you're hired. Does this mean I'll have to do a painting of Tony Perez every year? Or maybe everyone from the BRM? They're definitely worse things!!

David, thank you so much for that sentiment. I wish I could even wash that man's brushes. Or, wear one of his amazing hats.

Again, you fellas are wonderful - thank you. I'll be sure to keep y'all updated with the results...and some more paintings!

Weeee!!

Graig
Old 12-08-2011, 08:18 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Oh yeah Graig.....you did something right!!! No doubt about that!!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:11 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Graig:

Very gracious and classy to acknowledge everyone like that. I really like your Big Red Machine idea. So I'll take the job of writing copy for 9 years, and we can start with Perez in "year one".

Then Bench, Morgan, Rose, Foster, Concepcion, Griffey and Geronimo (in that order). For year 9, let's do a painting of Sparky (since those teams had no pitching, anyway).

Sound ok? I don't know what the hell I could do to hold up my end of the bargain, but it would have to be pretty monumental
Old 12-09-2011, 08:27 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Default Wow

Graig,
I am with Mark(perezfan), David Atkatz, and just about everyone else.
You are the Rembrandt of Sports Painting.

That Jackie Robinson is Spectacular. Mark's description about your use of light is spot on. I love how Jackie appears almost in a spotlight with the whole background in the shade. Great great contrast effect.
There is something very emotion provoking about the pic. That little playful smile. It's like he's thinking "I gonna have some fun with this pitcher"
This is definitely on par with the Matty. I have to say it's getting harder and harder to pick my favorite as you keep cranking out these things.
Maybe we need a new thread. What is your favorite Kreindler? ...Ok post your top 3 , but you can't vote for your own, if you own one.
Outside of mine
1) Matty (Nuff Said)
2) Jackie Robinson (new one)
3) Joe Jackson (The detail and texture of the hands on the bat and the glove in the back pocket are just crazy good)

4) My next one whenever it comes.

I don't think you have anything to worry about impressing that high profile guy. If he is a sports or Jackie Robinson nut, there is no way in hell he isn't going to go crazy for it.

Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 12-09-2011, 09:29 PM

I just realized I misspelled "Rembrandt." I don't understand it. I've seen "Nightwatch."
Old 12-12-2011, 03:34 PM

Graig, your Jackie Robinson is my current home PC background image. I love it. The footprints in the sunless area of the red clay sand infield. The shadows on his baggy white uniform and Dodger Blue cap. Jackie grinning as he steps from the on deck circle into the limelight of the batter's box. Awesome. You have created a lot of stunning work, but this one really grabs me.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:36 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by horzverti View Post
Graig, your Jackie Robinson is my current home PC background image. I love it. The footprints in the sunless area of the red clay sand infield. The shadows on his baggy white uniform and Dodger Blue cap. Jackie grinning as he steps from the on deck circle into the limelight of the batter's box. Awesome. You have created a lot of stunning work, but this one really grabs me.
LOL I thought I was the only one that did this!! I wonder if we owe Graig some sort of royalty or something!! LOL
Old 12-12-2011, 10:23 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
I wonder if we owe Graig some sort of royalty or something!! LOL
Don't forget to pay off MLB and the Robinson estate too
Old 12-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

Thanks again for all of your lovely comments, especially in regards to Rembrandt - that man was a beast.

Which reminds me, David, you've actually seen Night Watch in person? If so, color me jealous. That's definitely on my list of things to see before I die. The size of that thing alone gives me nightmares!!

I kinda thought that the Robinson was gonna be a cool painting (if I did it right), especially because of that play of light. I guess there really is a metaphor in there, whether subtle or not, about the integration of the sport, or even of America. They're a couple of other images that I'd love to paint of the man that echo that sentiment, especially that famous team shot of the '47 club, with Robbie being the only African American amongst the boys. It just speaks volumes.

And of course, feel free to use these images on your desktop or iPhone - whatever's clever! I'm more than honored to have you guys enjoy them so much. Thankfully, no money needs to be handed to any of those parties involved.

Also, here are two more I got back from the photographers today:

Babe Ruth, 1918, 30" x 34"

Lou Gehrig, 1938, 18" x 24"

The color needs a little correcting in both of them, but I think you get the idea.

Hope y'all dig 'em too!

Graig
Old 12-13-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Which reminds me, David, you've actually seen Night Watch in person?
I have, Graig. Back in 1977, when I was a graduate student, I spent a year at the Instituut voor Theoretische Fysica in Utrecht, Holland. I spent lots of time in the museums in Amsterdam. Man, that painting is big!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Barry Sloate

I've seen The Night Watch in person too, I believe in 1976. As I recall, at that time it was covered by bulletproof glass, since a short time earlier some lunatic took a knife to it and cut it up. It was extraordinary nevertheless.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:43 PM

That's about right, Barry. It had recently been repaired when I saw it. Behind glass.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:36 AM
Graig Kreindler

Wow, I'm extremely jealous of you two. I've really always wanted to see that in person.

I've been to mainland Europe only once, and though plenty of time was spent in Italian museums, I'm just dying to make my way around the continent. I have a feeling France will be in the cards in a few years, but man, I'll give almost anything to see the Dutch masters in those hallowed halls...

Then again, living in Brooklyn, I do have easy access to plenty of really extraordinary museums...but the grass is always greener, I suppose!

G

Last edited by GKreindler; 12-14-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey guys,

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday and are looking forward to the start of 2012.

I think my New Years resolution is to get the majority of the unfinished paintings out of my studio (especially those that were commissioned).

These two guys are the start of that process:

Johnny Evers, 1907, 16" x 20"

Babe Ruth, 1924, 16" x 20"

I never realized how much Evers looks like Stan Laurel in that image. What a jaw that man had!!

Anywho, I hope y'all dig 'em. Comments/crits/laughs/stories are ALWAYS appreciated!

Graig
Old 02-09-2012, 12:49 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Hey Graig,

I was just curious if you have ever seen this picture. It has been one of my favorites for years and I recently ran across the copy I had saved on another computer. I saw this and thought of you right away. It would make a great subject for you. I know it doesnt feature a specific player but the stadium and the plane would be a great subject. I always thought it was cool that the play in this World Series game has obviously come to a stop as this huge plane passed over head. You can see the players just watching it as it disappears as almost a tribute to the soldiers of that era.

The Hall of Fame confirmed this was taken during the 1942 (no definite on the year) World Series and the colored bunting as well as the crowd would be great color splashes for you to paint. This could be the real "Bronx Bomber".

Last edited by whitehse; 02-09-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:28 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

I wish I owned that photo, its beautiful.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 02-09-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:38 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
I wish I owned that photo, its beautiful.
The Hall of Fame sells prints of this photo. This is where I got the image from. I have always meant to order it from them but never have. This year I am going to order a 16 x 20 print of it and have it framed.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Graig Kreindler

Absolutely, Andrew. That shot's been a favorite of mine for years. And I definitely agree with you on the bunting and advert colors - it could be a lot of fun. And at a really large size? Oh man, the possibilities.

I'm pretty sure the photo is from the '43 World Series, probably the first game (though I'm not 100% on that). I seem to remember something about it being piloted by Cardinal Manager Billy Southworth's son, who was buzzing the Stadium to wish luck to his dad.

Just another one on the list...
Old 02-10-2012, 10:05 AM
And.rew Whi.te

Graig

Somehow I knew you would have this one on your radar. I didnt know who the pilot is but now, knowing this makes the photo even more special!!

Hopefully we will see this one in Kreindlercolor soon!!

Take care!!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Andrew Parks

Default Awesome!

I just stumbled on this thread...

Wow! Graig, you are an amazing talent! My sister was a double major in photography and painting. Can't wait to show her this thread.

It seems you only do baseball, but I would love to see the finished product of this shot:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqZ,!hQE7RO7bjm4BPICILzysg~~60_12.jpg (49.3 KB, 424 views)
Old 02-10-2012, 12:29 PM
James

Beautiful pieces..absolutely beautiful.

you are very gifted sir!
Old 02-11-2012, 10:33 AM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks a lot, guys.

Matty6, I've always loved that image too. I wouldn't mind breaking into the racing scene with my work, though in the end, I think it might take a client to commission something to get me going on it. I just feel like my mind is always in the baseball mode, and now, sometimes even football and basketball - it seems to take forever for me to branch out. I'll even be doing my first hockey piece this year too, which will be very exciting!

Graig
Old 02-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

Hope everyone's been doing well so far this new year.

I thought I'd post some stuff I just got back from the photographers in the past few weeks. I think it might mark my first sharing of work since December, so I figured I was off of my pace!

Before I show it, I just wanted to send a HUGE 'thank you' for all of you guys on the board for giving me so much support over the past few years, whether it's been through sales, scans (especially Chris C. for the enclosed Mantle), advice or encouragement. It's really meant the world to me - probably in ways I could never really articulate.

Anywho, I hope you enjoy!

Babe Ruth, 1922, 16" x 20"

Hank Greenberg, 1937, 16" x 20"

Joe DiMaggio, Fiorello La Guardia & Lou Gehrig, October 5, 1938, 28" x 36"

Mickey Mantle, August 7, 1955, 30" x 64"

Certainly, any comments or crits are ALWAYS welcomed. And, I do have plenty of stuff that's in-progress too, which I'd be glad to post if y'all are interested.

Thanks again,

Graig
Old 02-13-2012, 10:03 AM
And.rew Whi.te

Once again your work is incredible but I can only imagine that Mantle and the DiMaggio/Gehrig have got to be incredible to see in person!!!

Keep up the great work as you are certainly a gifted artist!!

Now get your agent going on the coffee table book/lithos/card sets/whatever so those that cannot afford an original can have some of your work as well.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:44 PM
$cotty @.utin

That Greenberg would look great next to the letter posted in the War and Sports thread. Amazing work. Do you have license to do old publication/program covers?

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 02-13-2012, 01:01 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Graig,
Wow. Just wow. (pardon me while I go back to stare at the DiMaggio/Gehrig in stunned silence)
Old 02-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Dan Brown

Graig I love looking at any paintings you post, great work!
Old 02-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks a lot, guys. You're making me blush!!

Andrew, we're working towards it, believe me! I just have to keep pumping these guys out. And of course, making sure that they're at least of the highest quality I can make them!

Scotty, it's definitely within the realm of possibility that I can create an original that's somehow based on a publication cover, though at this time, there's no way to make reproductions of it for prints or anything. I guess the closest thing I've come to that sort of thing has been some of the baseball cards I've been commissioned to reproduce or interpret.

Lance, believe me, you're gonna see some of the photos you scanned for me on here soon. And again, your help in that has been VERY much appreciated.

Graig
Old 02-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Al

Default easel

Graig,
As always beautiful work my friend! Your eye for detail is just amazing. Looking forward one day to seeing the pic I sent you !! Al
Old 02-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks a lot, Al. Worry not, you'll probably be seeing it in the next couple of months - that Gehrig portrait is KILLER!
Old 02-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Rip gary carter.... I guess it is not Graig's painting on the front page of espn..sure looks like his work though...even if it is a photo.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 02-16-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:51 AM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

Hope everyone's starting to enjoy some spring weather. In Brooklyn, it's REALLY starting to feel like baseball season is upon us.

I just got this guy back from the photographers, and I thought it was an interesting one to post:

My client is a big fan of the Cracker Jack set and wanted Matty to be as real as possible. It posed an interesting challenge, since as much as I can render him, the background was just going to be that stark red. Though in the end, I'm pretty happy with the results. I think it's pretty strong graphically, and although the play of red and green really messed with my eyes while I was working on it, I think I was able to pull it off.

Anywho, I hope you dig it! And if not, don't be afraid to say so!

Graig
Old 03-23-2012, 08:21 AM
And.rew Whi.te

I think this painting is even more realistic than the other Matty painting you did. This literally looks like a photograph!!

Once again..unbelieveable work!!
Old 03-23-2012, 10:26 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Phenomenal, Graig...

If it's even possible to inprove upon the card, you've done it. You've brought new depth and realism to an image we've seen many times (but probably taken for granted).

Incredible and gorgeous work!
Old 03-23-2012, 02:36 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks a lot, guys. I'm thrilled that you both like this one! I gotta say, when I attempt things that are out of my comfort zone, I get a bit nervous about publicly showing them - and that's even if I feel good with the end result. But, I guess such is the life of an artist!

Thanks again, for serious.

Graig
Old 03-23-2012, 05:34 PM

Default Matty

Graig,
I think you did a spectacular job of painting the Matty Crackerjack card in Kreindlercolor! Awesome!
Old 03-23-2012, 07:23 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Thanks a lot, guys. I'm thrilled that you both like this one! I gotta say, when I attempt things that are out of my comfort zone, I get a bit nervous about publicly showing them - and that's even if I feel good with the end result. But, I guess such is the life of an artist!

Thanks again, for serious.

Graig
Graig,
For you to "get a bit nervous about publicly showing them" is like the super model on the cover of Sports Illustrated being a bit nervous about taking off her bikini in front of someone. You, my friend, have nothing to worry about!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Graig,
For you to "get a bit nervous about publicly showing them" is like the super model on the cover of Sports Illustrated being a bit nervous about taking off her bikini in front of someone. You, my friend, have nothing to worry about!!
Old 03-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks guys, I appreciate those kind words.

I tell ya though, if I can get a Sports Illustrated model to take off her bikini in exchange for showing a painting, well, I think that might be the best trade EVER (for me). Is there a message board for that?

Old 03-24-2012, 12:17 PM

Very nice. Art is all about the mastery of light and dark, and you definately have that gift.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thank you, John!
Old 04-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey guys,

So, I'm almost done with this guy for Scott Garner, and I thought I'd share it in its current state.

The shot is from my iPhone, so it might seem a bit grainy, but in terms of color and value, I think it's pretty darn true. I still have a bit to work on, including the dugout floor, and some tightening up on Johnny, but it's nearly there.

This image has been so much fun to work with, mostly because of all of the reflected light bouncing around the walls and Vandy's legs. That (including that foot bathed in light) was what really excited me about the original photo. I guess I just really had a pretty strong idea of what the finished painting would look like, so from then it was just tunnel vision. I don't know if Scott could have picked a better image of the man.

And for those of you keeping score, it's from his 1938 season, the same in which he threw his two consecutive no-hitters.

Anywho, hope y'all dig it!!

Graig
Old 04-10-2012, 04:59 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Graig,
That is fantastic!
The light and shadow control is amazing. I liken it to the Jackie coming out of the shadows.

As far as the image itself, The only thing that could be better would be if he was smiling.
I love the pics of them smiling, showing the joy and love of the game.

As usual another masterpiece in Kreindlercolor.

Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 04-11-2012, 04:31 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

I'm jealous as usual of those who are able to add one of Graig's pieces their collection. I have no doubt that this one couldn't have found a more appreciative home than Scott's collection though.

It's nice to see the original photo and its progression to painted form on this one. Thanks as always for sharing. This is one thread I am glad to see getting bumped back to the top on a regular basis!
Old 04-11-2012, 04:44 PM
qualitycards

Graig, Awesome job...as usual!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks for those great compliments, guys. I'm really loving how Scott's painting is coming out, especially because of that light. I'm hoping that when it's done, you'll all feel the same way. And again, the fact that I had the opportunity to paint a player like Vander Meer is just beyond awesome. I really love painting the Ruths and the Gehrigs, but having some of the 'lesser-knowns' being asked for is just so damn cool.

Actually, the fact that people actually wanna commission me is just so damn cool.

Anywho, I have this one that's currently drying and waiting to be photographed, also for a board member.

I guess I gotta title it 'Enter Sandman' - could there be any other appropriate title?

Hope you guys dig it!

Graig
Old 04-12-2012, 08:24 PM
qualitycards

That Rivera is off the charts, love how it looks on the easel
Old 04-12-2012, 10:08 PM

Outstanding, my friend.

The depth is remarkable. I hope you find doing these more current players can be as rewarding as the older deadball era ones. No matter the era, to me, you breathe life into black and white or color.

Great work, Graig!