NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-28-2006, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Default Seeking Opinions Regarding Colgan's Chips

Posted By: John S

I have always been curious as to lack of popularity of the Colgan's Stars of the Diamond Issue (I am equating value to popularity). The are relatively uncommon compared to other contemporary issues (usually less than ten listed on eBay at any given time....not including the BIN's), have high quality photos, and offer a wide representation of major and minor league players. I have actually been picking them for less on eBay over the last year than two and three years ago. I would be interested in hearing from those of you that do not or are reluctant to collect Colgan's.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

I guess it might go to the age-old question, are Colgan's really cards? They are paper thin and are tiny discs. Perhaps the odd shape makes them less collectible. However, if anyone has a Colgan's Wagner FT/FS I am game

Old 03-28-2006, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

issues like P2's, Domino Discs, Colgans and others just don't have the wide-spread popularity because they aren't mainstream like the T205's, T206's, etc are. They do offer a great opportunity to pick up some nice cards for a fraction of the price. I have about 250 or so Colgans from all three series and pick them up whenever I can. The Tin Tops and Red Borders are especially tough on ebay as they rarely come up for sale. Like you said, you can get nice EX condition 'commons' on ebay in the $20 range usually.

I live in Louisville where the Colgans were made/distributed. I rarely see any around here nor do I see any of the tins here as well. Pick up a trade card or two occasionally from Colgans or Kis-Me gum. There is a card store in town that has 40-50 of them but they are so creased and dog eared they need to be thrown away!

Old 03-28-2006, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

The things I like about the set are probably why others don't like it.
1. It's an odd shape--not the traditional card size.
2. The cards are small--less to enjoy.
3. The cards are black and white. Many if not most prefer the color issues. Somehow, either unconsciously or because they were/are generally more affordable, I've found myself collecting primarily black and white sets over the past few years.
4. The cards are portraits. I believe many prefer "action" poses to still, often capless headshots. Even the m116s show upper torso, and again, are in color. I want to collect an entire portarit set, although trying to assemble a complete E254 is pretty daunting (E270 would be ididocy, but a type or two is nice). Those looking for strictly portraits seem to prefer m116.
5. The cards are photographs. Again, many find the basic "charm" of a prewar card to be in its mini-artwork quality, and I believe most prefer the lithographs to an actual photo.

All of these together add up to a less popular set, IMO.

Old 03-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Where are these Colgans that youa re finding cheaper now than 2-3 years ago? I've always loved Colgans and find that they have moved up in price right along with everything else. I used to buy nice little lots with a bit of paper loss on the back for a few dollars a card. Now I can't seem to pick up a G-VG one for less than $10.

The main reason for lack of interest in the sets is for the reason already stated, they are round, B&W photos on very thin stock and are quite small. I personally prefer a nice B&W photo over a color photo any day.

Jay

WOW upsidedown is MOM. Mom upsidedown is what dad wants to see.

Old 03-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

Jay,

It just to seems to be the last year or so. They have leveled and even dropped a bit. In the last six months I have grabbed five on eBay, all EX or better, with the most expensive one costing $21.50. When I started my Pirates set about four years ago I paid $30 - $50 each for Leach, Babe Adams, Nick Maddox, Howie Camnitz, George Gibson, and Deacon Phillippe. I grabbed a second Phillippe at the end of last summer for $18 (the first cost $32). I know enough about statistics that my numbers are not significant; just sensing a trend.

Old 03-28-2006, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Kindler

John,
I also love to collect these fragile round cards. I love the crystal-clear clarity of the photographs, even though they are in black and white. Their lack of popularity probably is because of their size which is nontraditional with the other cards of their era. I wonder if you or anyone else can help me with information on a chip that I own which has "208 in Present Series" printed at the bottom of the back side of a Stars of the Diamond Series. I would love to know about its scarcity in relation to other e254s. Thanks for talking about Colgan's!

Old 03-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

I've been told by someone very knowledgeable that they are about as scarce as Tin Tops and would likely command a $100 in ex type price. Nothing major but also nothing small. I have a couple in my collection........

Old 03-28-2006, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Kindler

Tom,
Thanks for the information. This is great news. I have been reading this site for about the past year and finally got up the nerve to respond to something. It is really awesome to read about and see some great images of vintage cards. Thanks to Leon and the others who might be responsible for this site; and also thanks to you, Tom, who kindly inform others with valuable information.