NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 04-17-2018, 04:23 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Factory sealed sets

How do you guys feel about opening factory sealed Topps sets from the mid- 1980s? I am a collector only, and I love carefully sliding cards into sheets and binders, specifically the Tiffany sets. It seems like the only way to get really nice sets is to buy the sealed ones, otherwise the opened ones have star cards that have been traded out, and I'm left with star cards which aren't as nice as the rest of the set. I get that such sets would hold more "value" if left sealed. Any of you guys ever make decisions on stuff like this??
Old 04-17-2018, 05:29 PM
Steve Birmingham

I try to leave stuff unopened unless it's either very plentiful - 88 donruss, 91 Topps etc. Or really new.

What I tried to do back in the day when there were some small sets that came sealed was to try to pick up one to keep sealed and one to open.
The big sets or the expensive ones, I've generally kept sealed.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:56 AM
Jonathan Sterling

Tiffany sets take a big hit when opened. So I understand trying to find ones that are opened and complete. Once and a while you see a set with the seal torn but when they show set you can tell that it has never been handled. They don't come around every day but are right up your alley. If set comes and is not as shown in pictures just send it right back..
As for question I cheat if I like a set I buy a second like previous poster and open one to sort ( then I am compelled to buy variations etc.) IT NEVER PAYS TO DO THIS..but it is Fun..
Old 04-18-2018, 11:14 PM
St@n Go.len

I have a couple sealed sets from the 70s and 80s, i think they came from Sears. Those i wont open but i do have a regular ol set of them in sheets/album. As long as its not complete landfill ill put it in sheets/album. I do like factory sets as a rule i generally don't crack those. And also those glossy card sets that stick together. They're doomed if you keep em in a box tightly packed. Plus they're pretty to look at anyway.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2018, 07:43 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I would say new stuff open it up. I think the idea of unopened was before people thought about saving theses things. But now everyone has sealed boxes from the 80s and 90s.

I also think trying to find already opened or damaged packaging is a good way of finding a deal. I bought a 1989 fleer glossy set for 25 buck because the tin was dented. Everything inside was fine.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:17 PM
Al Richter

Most of my post 1994 Topps base set are still in sealed factory boxes, but only because I am too lazy to open them and put them in binders like my earlier sets.

I did intentionally leave my run of Tiffany base and Traded sets ( 84-91 ) in sealed boxes on the theory I had the base set in binders and the Tiffany sets seemed better unopened. But in another thread some have pointed out that when opened some sealed sets turn out to be incomplete.

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 04-20-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:09 PM
+0m J()rd@N

I can remember sealed Topps sets from the '80s not being complete. Maybe there were 792 cards, but there were doubles of some and missing others. Always made me leery of opening sealed factory sets.

Anyone else have this same experience? I know they had better quality control and eventually corrected it, but I can't put a good time frame on when they fixed the problem.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)