NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-03-2014, 03:43 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Default Best of 1973 Topps

List (highly encouraged to post pics) your top 5. The criteria of your selection is up to you (photo, great season, error, first card, favorite player, etc.).

We'll do each year starting from 1980 to 1952. I'll start a new year about once a week. I'll close voting a month or 2 after the first post of the thread and tally up the results.

With these basic rules...
1. You can only vote for a player's card twice during his entire run (Let's not make this a Mantle and Ryan love fest). Consider that when making your selections.

2. Provide a reason for each choice if you're the first person making that selection. You are encouraged, but it's not necessary to restate the point if someone already said it.

3. Pick only 5. We are going through 29 years, limiting to only Topps regular releases, tough decisions will be made. List honorable mentions if you desire, but they will not be counted in the final tally.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

I like this set. It's also the last set that was released in series.

Here are my picks.

This is the reason I passed on the 1975 and 1976 Bench. This card is as awesome as Chuck Norris.

Yep, it's a HoF rookie card. The photo was taken at Payne Park in Sarasota. I lived there in the early 80's and the 1973 Topps set of ChiSox players has the best photos of the park as I remember it.

Love this horizontal of Tiger All Star Freehan. Even if he tags him with his glove, he isn't out. Notice the ball in his right hand.

How often do we get photos of beanings or brushbacks on cards. This card is cool in my book.

Great card, too bad Joe Rudi isn't on it. In order it's Bill Voss, Gene Tenace, and Marty Martinez.

Honorable Mentions:
Frank Duffy
Jim Katt batting
Ty Cobb x2, the first appearance on a Topps card for the Georgia Peach
Old 01-03-2014, 04:46 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

73.jpg

1973 was the year of the cool action shots. Two of the best are Frank Robinson (although he's in an airbrushed Dodgers uniform) and Juan Marichal. Both are incredible shots. Frank Robby so fluid in that long swing and the dazzle of Juan trying to blow one past the batter. Simply outstanding!!!

Two others that grab me are quite possibly from the same game (Reds vs. Giants) and feature umpires as part of the action. The Rader and Chaney cards offer a great glimpse into the relatively minor action of a real game and not the cliched action shots you usually find. The Munson has always been strange to me. With the blurred crowd in the background and no evidence of any other people around, he looks so alone, like an astronaut of a strange planet.

And the Reggie is the worst looking card in the history of the world!!!! His face is all scrunched up and you can barely tell he's human. Pure awfulness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:57 PM

Far and away my favorite (for obvious reasons).

...and least favorite. Isn't Wes Parker much more the focal point of this photograph?... and who gave him that wedgie?

Last edited by Gr8Beldini; 01-03-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:40 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default 1973 Topps odd card

1973 Topps Tommie Agee card...all airbrushed up.. hiding the fact that its all NY Mets in the pic..incld Rusty Staub..who didn't even have a 73T card that yr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 73 T agee.jpg (76.2 KB, 652 views)
Old 01-03-2014, 07:39 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman62 View Post
1973 Topps Tommie Agee card...all airbrushed up.. hiding the fact that its all NY Mets in the pic..incld Rusty Staub..who didn't even have a 73T card that yr
It's funny seeing these Astros in their 'home' uniforms at Shea Stadium.

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Old 01-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Mikeknapp

My selections certainly expose my bias
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bucs.jpg (72.8 KB, 649 views)
Old 01-04-2014, 06:57 PM

Default EASY call for me

I call the 1973 Hank Aaron - the ace of spades (because it is the most beautifulmcard in the deck).

The only competitor in my book is the aforementioned Bench card. An all time best for any catcher card. In any other year this would be the #1 for me.

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 01-05-2014, 09:32 AM
Erik

73 Allen.jpg

Even though he played only three years with Chicago, Dick Allen is probably my favorite White Sox of all time and this is a great card capturing a monster MVP year he had for them nearly winning the Triple Crown.

73 Killer.jpg

Even though he is at the tale end of his career, The Killer is a BEAST!

Add Frank Robinson's card to the mix. I will say this until I am blue in the face, Robby is one of the most underrated superstars there is and his cards are under valued. I love the horizontal action shot in this card.

My last two picks are Hank Aaron and Bill Freehan's cards which like Frank Robinson have also been shown.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:43 PM
Ben North

This is my favorite 73 Topps card.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-06-2014, 07:58 AM
D.an Jackso.n

John Ellis hands down. If I had a scan of the card I would post it. Sorry.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Erik

Cool card...giving the Ump an ear full.

[/ATTACH]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcardsfan View Post
John Ellis hands down. If I had a scan of the card I would post it. Sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg John Ellis.jpg (68.2 KB, 433 views)

Last edited by Samsdaddy; 01-06-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:05 AM
D.an Jackso.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsdaddy View Post
Cool card...giving the Ump an ear full.

[/ATTACH]
Thanks Erik. Another "hiding in plain site". Sal Bando?

And it looked like Ellis's uni is airbrushed? Is it an Indians uni?
Old 01-06-2014, 10:16 AM

And another odd thing about that picture - He is listed as a catcher, but is obviously playing 1st base.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:22 AM
Erik

Quote:
Thanks Erik. Another "hiding in plain site". Sal Bando?

And it looked like Ellis's uni is airbrushed? Is it an Indians uni?
Good eye on spotting Bando and I am not sure what uniform Ellis is wearing.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Good eye on spotting Bando and I am not sure what uniform Ellis is wearing.

Ellis played for the Yankees until traded to the Indians for the 73 season, so they must have airbrushed a Yankee uniform, but they also then apparently airbrushed the mystery teammate obscured by the umpire.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Erik

Thanks David.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post
Ellis played for the Yankees until traded to the Indians for the 73 season, so they must have airbrushed a Yankee uniform, but they also then apparently airbrushed the mystery teammate obscured by the umpire.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:21 PM
D.an Jackso.n

Quote:
Thanks David.
At least they didn't airbrush the ump.

That leaves a "mystery hiding in plain sight" Yankee. I am guessing a pitcher or second basemen. Thoughts?

Last edited by stlcardsfan; 01-06-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:37 PM
Erik

The mystery player looks to be wearing glasses unless my eyes deceive me and throws right handed.

Quote:
At least they didn't airbrush the ump.

That leaves a "mystery hiding in plain sight" Yankee. I am guessing a pitcher or second basemen. Thoughts?
Old 01-06-2014, 02:04 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

My three favorites are Killebrew, Mays and Aaron...can't believe no one has posted the Aaron yet..a classic card!

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 01-06-2014, 02:11 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

I've always loved this card too...there are a lot of cool real game time photography in 73, and I love this angle...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 01-06-2014, 02:20 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
The mystery player looks to be wearing glasses unless my eyes deceive me and throws right handed.
I don't see the eyeglasses on the other player. Although 2B Horace Clarke wore glasses, he was black and that player looks white to me--also, Horace was 5 inches shorter than Ellis.

I'm betting this game was played on 6-12-71, and the photo was from the bottom of the 5th when, with a runner on first, Oakland's Bando hit a ground ball fielded by Ellis at 1B, who tossed to Stottlemyre (around the same height as Ellis) covering but was ruled safe by 1B ump Luciano. Oakland went on to break the game open with a five-run inning, prevailing 13-3 behind Vida Blue.

Road uni's and the fact that Ellis played no 1B against Oakland in 1972 (or 1970) takes us to 1971. Ump definitely looks like Luciano. Ellis diving to make play would explain why dirt is on sleeve and no throw to second to get lead runner. Close play would explain beef. Other player likely Stottlemyre. Bando did not play at all in the only other NY-Oak road games from '71 where Ellis was at 1B.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 01-06-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:29 PM
D.an Jackso.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I don't see the eyeglasses on the other player. Although 2B Horace Clarke wore glasses, he was black and that player looks white to me--also, Horace was 5 inches shorter than Ellis.

I'm betting this game was played on 6-12-71, and the photo was from the bottom of the 5th when, with a runner on first, Oakland's Bando hit a ground ball fielded by Ellis at 1B, who tossed to Stottlemyre (around the same height as Ellis) covering but was ruled safe by 1B ump Luciano. Oakland went on to break the game open with a five-run inning, prevailing 13-3 behind Vida Blue.

Road uni's and the fact that Ellis played no 1B against Oakland in 1972 (or 1970) takes us to 1971. Ump definitely looks like Luciano. Ellis diving to make play would explain why dirt is on sleeve and no throw to second to get lead runner. Close play would explain beef. Other player likely Stottlemyre. Bando did not play at all in the only other NY-Oak road games from '71 where Ellis was at 1B.
Nice detective work, Todd. I'm buying your conclusion.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:17 PM
Erik

Quote:
Nice detective work, Todd. I'm buying your conclusion.
Me too.

Thought I see glasses but I am sure it is not glasses.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:42 PM
Paul Carek

I dig the sweet rides behind the chain link fence in this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-01-06 at 3.40.00 PM.jpg (20.5 KB, 485 views)
Old 01-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Pa.ul Mat.is.ak

OK, I'm caught up now. Great action shots again. So many of the superstars I'd love to include but those action shots are just too good. My top 5:

1) Fred Patek - This is an great looking shot. Many others similar like M. Andrews and Fuentes for example, but this is my favorite of that group.

2) Johnny Bench - I agree this is his best card. I used '76 so I won't be able to include his '68, but those are the rules and I prefer the look of his '76 & '73 to '68.

3) Vida Blue - The best Vida Blue card out there. Very similar to a lot of the other great pitcher action shots like the Marichal but I'm going with Blue as the best of the bunch.

4) Bill Freehan - OK, I have a second base action shot, A pitcher action shot and I need a play at the plate action shot. Great shot of Freehan reaching to make the tag.

5) Pat Corrales - This is a funny action shot. Corrales looks like a turtle on his back in this one. He looks to be in a bit of pain.

I also want to add honorable mentions to all the playoff and world series cards. All of them are great in this set.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:54 PM

This was the first set I seriously attempted to complete as a kid. For some reason I couldn't find the 4th series in plentiful supply in my area..so ended up buying one from Larry Fristch...the balance was pieced together one by one. I got hooked by the funky Atlanta Braves hats that year...and for some reason I always loved this card of Davey Johnson...

Ricky Y

Old 01-08-2014, 11:16 AM
Al Richter

Default Topps 1973

Old 01-10-2014, 08:42 PM

First set I collected in my youth. Always loved the action shots.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:51 AM
Todd Schultz

Default sorry for the huge scans

I was not a huge fan of the 1973 set, although I like it more now. Didn't like the move to more action shots because they were often muddy and convoluted--who am I supposed to be looking at? Didn't like the backs at all, but thought the LHP/RHP distinction on the card fronts was genius.

For me the1973s brought out the first look at the uniforms of the era, mostly ugly polyesters, and this is what I remember most about the set.

Darell Evans. I always liked the player and kind of liked the now gone Braves look.

Bill Gogolewski. My first look at the new Rangers unis, and I like the way the subject is centered in the photo as well as the colors.

Dave Roberts. Remember these Padres' monstrosities?

Joe Morgan. Easily my favorite card of his.

Brooks Robinson. A shot of him in his realm. Brings back fond memories (except when he would rob the Twins at will)
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:40 PM
Erik

Some real nice choices Todd.

The uniform on Dave Roberts almost looks as if they colored it more. I never liked the small All-Star Rookie cups that came along in the 1970's. I preferred the big trophy's that appeared through 1972.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:39 AM
D.an Jackso.n

https://baseballhall.org/discover/ca...ps-tommie-agee

Cool article on Tommy Agee card
Old 01-17-2018, 03:24 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Let me guess, it tells the story of how Topps airbrushed all the Mets in the photo to become Astros? I still find it hilarious!!

Casey Stengel

Old 01-22-2018, 02:24 PM

Really enjoy this thread. After returning to the hobby from a 25 year break...it's good to see there's some appreciation for a time when players didn't have thousands of autographed rookie cards and variations. Love he action theme of this set and I'll have to add some to my collection for sure.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:32 AM
D.an Jackso.n

https://baseballhall.org/discover/ca...-rich-mckinney
Old 03-06-2018, 04:36 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Close between Bench and Aaron I have a few blank backs that I pulled from packs back in the day. Last set to be issued in series. So holds a place in many collectors hearts including mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15203791518821370397740.jpg (77.6 KB, 335 views)
Old 03-07-2018, 12:20 AM
Bill Gregory

The Clemente card is my favorite in the set. Last one of Roberto, and it's such a cool looking shot of him at the plate, just waiting to line a double to the opposite field, on a fly ball that no human being but Roberto Clemente could have caught!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:22 AM
Jay T.

Noticing Jerry Grote in the Clemente shot made me think of something. Many of the shots in the NL for the '73 set were taken at Shea Stadium, which player is found on most cards for the set? My guess is Grote is in a few shots.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:35 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTysver View Post
Noticing Jerry Grote in the Clemente shot made me think of something. Many of the shots in the NL for the '73 set were taken at Shea Stadium, which player is found on most cards for the set? My guess is Grote is in a few shots.
You also see a lot of the A's as the team opposite the featured player.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:29 PM

For unknown reasons, this is my favorite 1973 Topps card.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:38 AM
D.an Jackso.n

Article on Dave Nelson and '73 card:

https://baseballhall.org/discover/ca...88ec3-52571801
Old 12-05-2018, 09:05 AM
J0hn Collin$

This...my personal winner for most pain ever captured on a baseball card. If you watch the old Canadian documentary on YouTube - "King of the Hill" about Fergie Jenkins - there is footage of this play. He was safe...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (42.8 KB, 195 views)
Old 12-12-2018, 08:46 AM
Keith

I can't believe no one has posted this card. My favorite as an 8 year old kid and my favorite as an adult.

Old 05-25-2020, 11:02 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Keeping this 2020 re-boot going. It includes the love it or hate it Bench.

Could this be the best 70's Topps set for action photos?
Old 05-25-2020, 12:55 PM

The first cards I collected as a kid - the first high grade set I completed as an adult. Underrated IMHO. The Seaver is my favorite all time card. Ruth/Aaron/Mays together on the eve of Hank overtaking the top spot. Love the Clemente/Bench. Schmidt/Cey on one RC. 2nd pic are the honorable mentions, but there a so many great cards - so many great players in the prime of their careers...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DM 1973 Top 5.jpg (84.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg DM 1973 - HM.jpg (86.7 KB, 79 views)
Old 05-25-2020, 02:14 PM

Willie Stargell
Johnny Bench
Pat Corrales
Frank Duffy
Chris Speier