NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-17-2007, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Default The Mailman Was Good To Me Today!

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Just got these in today and the good Summer continues....

1936 Omaha Robin Hoods Pass - This team has a very interesting story which can be read here: http://marian.creighton.edu/~besser/baseball/wl1936.html

Here's a Nebraska Indians Postcard that is completely new to me -

I was also lucky enough to pick up another copy of Dick Stuart's 1956 Lincoln Mutual card - Won it on ebay last night and picked it up in person this morning.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

Great stuff Dan. I can feel your excitement. Did you ever check on that piece from the National I emailed you about?

Old 08-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Yep...it's the same one that he had at another show earlier this year...he wants too much money for it. I wish he'd put it up on ebay so I could get a shot at it for fair market value.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

What's scary about the Stuart postcard is that it lists him as an outfielder. Given his reputation at first base, what was he like in the OF?

Max

Old 08-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Dan, when are you going to write a Lincoln Nebraska baseball history book? Very nice items, I thought the Robin Hoods pass was exceptional.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Clint, I hope to write a book someday.

Max, Stuart was just as bad in the outfield as he was at first....his manager in Lincoln was Larry Shepherd (who later went on to coach for the Big Red Machine in the 1970s) whom Stuart had a tumultuous relationship with...Stuart played in right field and incensed Shepherd on more than one occasion because he wouldn't put his glove on...he also took a bag of peanuts out into the outfield with him once. He was bad on the basepaths as well, once he was at third and looked over at Shepherd who was coaching third and asked if the squeeze was on...Shepherd said "no"....on the next pitch he asked again and Shepherd said "no" again...then on the third pitch Stuart took off for home and was easily tagged out by the catcher...Shepherd asked him what the hell he was doing, there was no squeeze on....Stuart replied "I thought maybe you might have changed your mind".

In 1957 Life Magazine did a feature story on Stuart titled "The Man Who Hit Too Many Home Runs". Basically the story details the fact that Stuart was obsessed with hitting homers and didn't even try to play defense, and that was keeping him in the minor leagues.

Stuart was an egomaniac, but I've never really read or heard anything bad about him outside of the game. I think he may have been estranged from some in his family or he just wasn't close to them. His brother only saw him play one game (I think it was a minor league game) and he never met Stuart's two sons. Stuart was quite the character.