NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Gr.eg Per.ry

Default The Uncatalogued Bridwell Card in Heritage 2010

Now that this auction is over, I'd like to ask what you guys think of this "uncatalogued" E-card. Do you think it was cut from a box of candy like Heritage suggests? Assuming this was true, was the candy box related to an issue that we know of? I mean, if the candy box was advertising ball players on it, you would think that cards also came with the candy, so what was that issue? Your thoughts please on this interesting card.

Quote:
Circa 1909 E-Uncatalogued Al Bridwell SGC Authentic One of the great pleasures of collecting is finding the unknown. The offered card of New York Giants infielder Al Bridwell was unknown until now. His inclusion puts the window for this series in the 1908-1911 era. What exactly this series is continues to be a mystery but the thicker card stock suggests this series was found on the panel of a box of candy. The offered rarity has creasing and obvious corner and surface wear but after a century is the only one confirmed to exist. The SGC Authentic designation is due to the irregular hand-cut outer border. The card has not been altered in any manner, a fact confirmed in the SGC label. A type card collectors dream.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Notebook cover?

Could it have been cut from a notebook cover? I once had a circa 1910 notebook with several T206 like cards on the front and back cover. (I'm still kicking myself for selling it to Steve Verkman).

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Frank Kealoha Ward

I call em "1910 Blue Caption"

Dont know where they are from, But Ive seen 5-6 of them or so.

Someone here has the Honus Wagner from same set...

Old 11-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Daryl

Here's a thread from last year. These neat cards stuck out in my mind.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=114211
Old 11-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Tim

I was posting the same time as Daryl and his link answered my question.

Last edited by Abravefan11; 11-11-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Tim, the picture of the Wagner is in the old Net54 link above.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Nadja-like e-unc candy card

Personally, I believe it was a candy card set that didn't get issued, or is very, very scarce and uncataloged. They could have come from a box or a notebook cover but that is not my current thinking. I own the first one I ever saw from this set, the McCormick above, and got it from Ron Vitro at a National, several years ago. To me, they look too much like the Blanke Wenneker E104-IIIs to think they are not an unissued set. It will be neat if we ever find out where they really came from. This kind of stuff is what makes the hobby so interesting to me. Regards

Last edited by Leon; 11-11-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:43 PM

I believe I have seen two different examples of the Wagner from this set.
Jim
Old 11-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
I believe I have seen two different examples of the Wagner from this set.
Jim
Correct. There are 2 Wagners known from the set...both are the same pose.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Gr.eg Per.ry

here is the wagner from that set, if anyone is curious:

Old 11-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Gr.eg Per.ry

There are a couple of things we know about these cards that I think are very revealing:
  • Almost all of the known examples (arguably with the exception of the O'Hara example) are cut in a very uneven manner that is consistent with hand-cut cards
  • the white borders are much wider than other cards of the period
  • the stock is thicker than other cards of the period

I'm confident they were hand cut, which means that this was either a strip card set with very wide borders in between the cards, or they were hand cut from a box or some type of advertisement.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Jon Canfield

Maybe this was discussed before but they all almost look like they are 3d cards to me. Even the colors are typically 3d colors. Anyone have a pair of glasses?
Old 11-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Paul

Default T206 Poses

Every one other than Wagner looks copied from T206.... that has to mean something, if only to T206 collectors.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 11-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

copied artwork from T206...
It means its unlikely they are from 1909 as the slab says

Thats why Ive called them 1910

I have seen a couple others but lost the images and info many computers ago
I believe they were T206 poses too, the Wagner is the only different one Ive seen and is probably because the artist couldnt get a hold of a T206 Wagner to copy... for obvious reasons

PS. for those following these cards, the Ohara was heavily damaged when the owner hired an "expert" to remove it from the backing it was glued to. It suffered major surface damage (flaking). I dont know the facts of how he tried to remove the card but you should never soak a piece of cardboard in water for a long time. Ive soaked many a card and never for more than a couple minutes, and many far less time.... Ive seen some recommend soaking them overnight ......."WTF!!"

Last edited by fkw; 11-12-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Im curious, what did the SGC-A Bridwell sell for???

I have never seen one of these sell yet, so dont know what type of value they have. I offered a couple hundred for the OHara when it was still glued, but the offer was declined. Then I was just helping the owner find info on it. Havent talked to him in over a year and dont know where the OHara is now.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:58 PM
D.B. Cooper

$1673 (including buyers premium)

From Old Cardboards most recent email newsletter:

2. New Player Discovered for Obscure "Blue Caption" Set

The card of N. Y. Giants short stop Al Bridwell has been discovered from a set that is not widely known among even the most seasoned vintage collectors.

The Bridwell card along with another from the set featuring Giants teammate Moose McCormick sold earlier this month in an auction held by Heritage Auctions. The Bridwell card is unique and not previously known to the hobby; another example of the McCormick card from the set has been previously reported.

Counting the Bridwell card, there are still only four known players represented in the set checklist.

The cards are similar in size and format with other candy and tobacco cards of the period. With their captions printed in blue ink, the cards are remarkably similar to cards from the E104 Nadja Caramel set produced in 1910. Important differences, however, distinguish the cards from this set, sometimes referred to as "Blue Captions" for obvious reasons.

While the E104 Nadja cards all feature chest-up poses, the few known examples of the "Blue Captions" set (except for Bridwell) feature action poses. In addition, the captions on the "Blue Captions" cards are all printed using upper/lower case lettering, while the Nadja cards are printed in all upper case letters. The captions on cards in both sets include the player last name and team.

The sponsor and method of distribution for the "Blue Caption" cards remains unknown. They are printed on thick card stock, indicating they may have been cut from a candy box or possibly from a notebook cover.

The two examples in the Heritage auctions were graded by SGC and designated as "E-UNC" cards, suggesting they were distributed by an early gum or candy manufacturer. From the few examples known today, however, we can only speculate now as to their origins. All known examples have blank backs.

Counting this recent discovery, only six examples from the Blue Caption set (representing four different players) have been reported by today's collectors. The two other players are Giants center fielder Bill O'Hara and Pittsburg's famous short stop Honus Wagner--the only Hall of Fame player known to the set. Two of Wagner's cards have been reported.

Based on the team affiliations of the four known players, it appears that the cards were produced in 1909. All four played for the teams named on the cards in 1909. O'Hara only played for the Giants for one year (1909), and neither he nor McCormick were on the Giants roster in 1910.

The Bridwell card sold in the recent Heritage auction for $1,673 (including buyer's premium); the McCormick card sold for $717.

A "Blue Caption" Set Profile, including a checklist and gallery of all known cards, has been added to the Old Cardboard website.

Last edited by Anthony S.; 11-12-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Thanks Anthony, wow I was off a bit on value.... I was thinking $300 or so

Funny how some of these uncataloged cards jump in value while others just as rare stay in the low hundreds....

I see now why they say 1909, thanks for the info, aloha
Old 11-14-2010, 07:27 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Just a nit to pick here--and not w/the posts here--but shouldn't any uncatalogued anonymous hand-cut card be given a W designation until we can be certain it is associated with a confection? IMO the "E" on these cards came about because the first submitters were eager to get in on the E card price bubble.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-14-2010, 09:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I don't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Just a nit to pick here--and not w/the posts here--but shouldn't any uncatalogued anonymous hand-cut card be given a W designation until we can be certain it is associated with a confection? IMO the "E" on these cards came about because the first submitters were eager to get in on the E card price bubble.
I don't think so. Personally, I think they resemble candy cards so much I am comfortable giving them E-Unc, until proven otherwise. There are several examples of this already (which are known).....E-Unc Orange Borders, E-Unc J=K, E-Unc Leader Novelty etc...etc... What I don't recall are cards that look very similar to these being "W-Unc"....As for riding a value bubble based on the designation, it's possible, but there are very valuable W cards too. It's a good discussion and debate.

Last edited by Leon; 11-14-2010 at 03:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Barry Sloate

One of the things that strikes me about these cards is their very poor quality. It seems surprising that a company would go to the trouble of making them utilizing such awful artwork. I would even go so far as to say kids would have hated these and opted to collect something else.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default it's amazing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
One of the things that strikes me about these cards is their very poor quality. It seems surprising that a company would go to the trouble of making them utilizing such awful artwork. I would even go so far as to say kids would have hated these and opted to collect something else.
Hey Barry,
I am not sure they are any more crude than some other series we know of today. It's amazing that some of them exist at all, as E-Unc or anything else. These All-Star Candy, E-Uncs, are so ugly they have a certain allure to them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg peuncallstarcard.jpg (37.2 KB, 239 views)
Old 11-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Barry Sloate

Leon- I was thinking of some other sets that incorporated crude artwork, and while the All-Star candy is not a great looking set, the cards were nicely produced with clear pictures and good colors. Their problem was the generic nature of the images. Look at the McCormick in comparison. It looks like it was drawn by someone without any real artistic skills. But that may be what makes them interesting.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:28 AM
Pete Costanzo

Default Blue Caption Set

Here's the other Wagner. Does anyone know if this "set" is to be cataloged in the new Standard Catalog? It was rumored to be getting listed. Thanks for any info. on these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EUNCHW.jpg (69.6 KB, 147 views)