NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-20-2016, 10:37 AM
Ke.ith Conr@d

I think we are seeing an era where very few new submissions are coming to market with high end cards like Mantle's, Aaron's, Clemente's... so premium prices are being paid for centered examples. Within a grade like PSA 7 or PSA 8 there is such a large range of factors like centering, eye appeal, corners, color, focus... prices can vary dramatically.

I also think the market from May-August experienced some exuberance and manipulation with certain rookie cards so people are leery of getting back into those cards and cards they spent $30k on which are now $15k. Think about the persons who bought the Goodwin Clemente PSA 8 examples for $146k and $150k in June/July, and now they are back to the $50k range. Same with the Koufax PSA 8 and Rose PSA 8 which are both trading at much lower prices now versus June/July.

When all this happened I think people decided to stick with what they know and have poured money back into Mantle cards which are about as sure of a bet in the market as anything.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:54 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendallCat View Post
I think we are seeing an era where very few new submissions are coming to market with high end cards like Mantle's, Aaron's, Clemente's... so premium prices are being paid for centered examples. Within a grade like PSA 7 or PSA 8 there is such a large range of factors like centering, eye appeal, corners, color, focus... prices can vary dramatically.

I also think the market from May-August experienced some exuberance and manipulation with certain rookie cards so people are leery of getting back into those cards and cards they spent $30k on which are now $15k. Think about the persons who bought the Goodwin Clemente PSA 8 examples for $146k and $150k in June/July, and now they are back to the $50k range. Same with the Koufax PSA 8 and Rose PSA 8 which are both trading at much lower prices now versus June/July.

When all this happened I think people decided to stick with what they know and have poured money back into Mantle cards which are about as sure of a bet in the market as anything.
That is definitely the case, imo, too. I have followed many many cards and have noticed that as well. Some big money is definitely gone and if sellers/consignors think they are going to get the same money as what summer cards sold for, their sadly mistaken.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-Topps-1...vip=true&rt=nc

Last edited by irv; 11-20-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:28 PM
Dustin Bellinger

The hyperfocus on centering is perplexing to me. The SGC card is better centered but I find every other aspect of the PSA card superior. If priced equally I would choose that card every time. Whether I would pay the exponentially higher price the flip would command is another issue and a large reason I am happy to stick with collectors grade cards.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.

Last edited by Shoebox; 11-20-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:12 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
The hyperfocus on centering is perplexing to me. The SGC card is better centered but I find every other aspect of the PSA card superior. If priced equally I would choose that card every time.
Agreed. Centering isn't the end all, be all for me. In fact, it's not Very high at all on my priority list. Corners and lack of tilt are the first things I look at. Agree with boynton that I never thought about centering for even a split second when I was a kid.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:41 AM
Matt

Interesting how we all collect, and yet in so many different ways.

When I was a kid, I would immediately toss all severely OC, tilted, and miscut cards, or ones that were super blurry. Image clarity and centering were always huge for me, even then.

I always viewed corner wear as something intended, due to handling of the card by kids, whereas the card was always intended to be framed evenly and to have a focused picture. My eye was always drawn to the center of the card, as opposed to the corners. And part of what draws the eye to the central image is the intended centering.

As I got older, I would search for a card on ebay and was struck by how few, and in some cases none at all, were perfectly centered. Seeing that this aspect was rare added a new appreciation for it and makes the hunt fun. But again this is just one of myriad ways to view and collect cards.

Last edited by MattyC; 11-21-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:57 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post

When I was a kid, I would immediately toss all severely OC, tilted, and miscut cards, or ones that were super blurry. Image clarity and centering were always huge for me, even then.

I always viewed corner wear as something intended, due to handling of the card by kids, whereas the card was always intended to be framed evenly and to have a focused picture. My eye was always drawn to the center of the card, as opposed to the corners. And part of what draws the eye to the central image is the intended centering.

As I got older, I would search for a card on ebay and was struck by how few, and in some cases none at all, were perfectly centered. Seeing that this aspect was rare added a new appreciation for it and makes the hunt fun. But again this is just one of myriad ways to view and collect cards.
finding cards with nice corners is quite a challenge as well...always one banged up corner..
Old 11-21-2016, 11:26 AM
Matt

Yes, I have vivid memories of trying to make a trade with my cousin for a 1987 Donruss Mike Greenwell. He had several of them, but there was a corner touch on each one that bugged me. I can only imagine what the kids in 1971 went through.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:17 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:

I think you said it better than I could. We as collectors are all a bit OCD, but some things bother us more than others. I can live with creases and corner wear, but bad centering is something I cant live with
Old 11-21-2016, 12:31 PM

Talking No one mentions focus , grasshopper , focus.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
I think you said it better than I could. We as collectors are all a bit OCD, but some things bother us more than others. I can live with creases and corner wear, but bad centering is something I cant live with
...there are certain members on this forum who will inquire of my new widow , " by the way , did he leave you a Dick Gernert by any chance.."...

Old 11-21-2016, 01:52 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Quote:

Hi Matty, you and I have had this discussion before. I understand your perspective and I respect it, but here's the counter argument: cards may come off the press as OC or even miscut, but they don't come off the press with rounded corners. Some of us are looking for cards that are as "fresh" as possible.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:26 PM
Al Richter

Default Sets

As someone who collects full set runs and thus large volumes of cards, I tend to be in Dan's camp. If I was collecting just some players or some sets I might worry more about centering and perfect cards.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBesse27 View Post
Hi Matty, you and I have had this discussion before. I understand your perspective and I respect it, but here's the counter argument: cards may come off the press as OC or even miscut, but they don't come off the press with rounded corners. Some of us are looking for cards that are as "fresh" as possible.
I agree with this. I would rather have a card that was a little off centered, but new condition, like the PSA card than a card that is perfectly centered but damaged by a previous owner. Corner wear is something that I want to avoid and creases, writing, etc. are a strict no.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:13 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBesse27 View Post
I don't recall if I was part of that thread or not, but I also said exactly the same thing in a post.

I just purchased these 2 cards about 15 minutes ago. Cards look in excellent shape to me and the centering doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as creases (#1) and dinged corners (#2) do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nippy Jones.jpg (75.2 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg Johnny Hopp.jpg (73.1 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by irv; 11-21-2016 at 07:15 PM.