NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 02-15-2017, 08:28 AM
Peter Spaeth

The high bidder on the Mike Trout refractor has 26 retractions. Found this in two minutes looking through the highest price auctions.

Bidder Information
Bidder: l***n( 128Feedback score is 100 to 499)
Item description:
Item Title:
2009 Bowman Chrome Gold Refractor Mike Trout ROOKIE RC AUTO /50 BGS 9.5 (PWCC)
Bids on this item: 1

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 4
Items bid on: 3
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 50% Help
Bid retractions: 0
Bid retractions (6 months): 26

Sure it's not realistic to monitor every auction. But at the same time it would not take that much effort to check the most expensive auctions or to do a reasonably thorough spot check. Imagine if Ford said, we produce thousands of cars, we can't possibly do quality control. In my opinion if you are serious about a policy, you need to put in some time and effort to enforce it, not just sit back passively and react if someone calls something to your attention.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-15-2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I agree the high bidder should be blocked and his bid retracted. 26 retractions in 6 months....the guy should be in jail (almost serious)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The high bidder on the Mike Trout refractor has 26 retractions. Found this in two minutes looking through the highest price auctions.

Bidder Information
Bidder: l***n( 128Feedback score is 100 to 499)
Item description:
Item Title:
2009 Bowman Chrome Gold Refractor Mike Trout ROOKIE RC AUTO /50 BGS 9.5 (PWCC)
Bids on this item: 1

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 4
Items bid on: 3
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 50% Help
Bid retractions: 0
Bid retractions (6 months): 26

Sure it's not realistic to monitor every auction. But at the same time it would not take that much effort to check the most expensive auctions or to do a reasonably thorough spot check. Imagine if Ford said, we produce thousands of cars, we can't possibly do quality control. In my opinion if you are serious about a policy, you need to put in some time and effort to enforce it, not just sit back passively and react if someone calls something to your attention.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:08 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I agree the high bidder should be blocked and his bid retracted. 26 retractions in 6 months....the guy should be in jail (almost serious)..
So why am I finding it and not PWCC? Even five minutes of due diligence would have uncovered it. I can only wonder how many I would turn up if I took an hour.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-15-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:53 AM
Dar.ius Hou.seal

Leon, apparently you don't know anything about data scrapping. PWCC could easily hire a programmer that could data scrape their auctions to know who is bidding. The programmer would create a program to do this. It really is that easy and in my opinion, PWCC owes it to their real bidders.

Not to mention, as previously posted, it takes all of 5 minutes to catch this manually too. There simply is no due diligence. Why did PWCC even come up with the "policy" if they don't even try to monitor their auctions.

Good Day!
Old 02-15-2017, 03:11 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

It's called "public relations" aka lying.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-15-2017, 04:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
It's called "public relations" aka lying.
I guess when you're that successful you don't need to worry too much about a few skeptics.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:30 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I guess when you're that successful you don't need to worry too much about a few skeptics.
Not in this hobby. You can be the biggest scumbag ever and the sheeple will line up in droves to buy a baseball card from you if they think they can save a penny. It is a fact that is proven on a daily basis.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:15 PM
PWCC Marketplace

Historically, our process for identifying bidders with a high number of bid retractions has been to 1) investigate bidders who retract a bid on our auctions, and 2) spot check bidders on a range of items we have for sale. We have a database of almost 4000 instances of a bid retraction, a bidder with a high number of retractions, string bidding, and unpaid items. We have over 2000 user IDs blocked.

It is true that there is significant opportunity to improve our practices, and we have taken the necessary steps to take our monitoring to the next level.

First, we hired a full-time customer service and bid monitoring representative. Her job is to promptly answer email, phone calls, and review bid activity on our auctions. She takes action on all notifications of bid retractions that we receive from eBay real time as well as spot checks our listings for bidders with a high number of bid retractions, zero-feedback bidders, and low-feedback bidders. I am also assisting in this process. She started working with PWCC in the second week of January and is now fully engaged in her role in monitoring auctions.

Second, we hired a full-time web developer. He is responsible for managing and optimizing our website, which has a significant role in our operations. Some of you may have noticed recent updates to our Client Portal. He is currently exploring the information provided through eBay's API and has the task of identifying a way to automate our bid monitoring procedures. We are hopeful that he can take the human component out of bid monitoring - or at least help us do our job better.

As always, thank you for the feedback!

Betsy Huigens
Old 02-15-2017, 05:20 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I've never had one bid retraction on any item for sale, and probably only have retracted a handful in my ebay 10 year term.

Just a microcosm of the real world of shill free ebay

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-15-2017, 05:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Huigens View Post
Historically, our process for identifying bidders with a high number of bid retractions has been to 1) investigate bidders who retract a bid on our auctions, and 2) spot check bidders on a range of items we have for sale. We have a database of almost 4000 instances of a bid retraction, a bidder with a high number of retractions, string bidding, and unpaid items. We have over 2000 user IDs blocked.

It is true that there is significant opportunity to improve our practices, and we have taken the necessary steps to take our monitoring to the next level.

First, we hired a full-time customer service and bid monitoring representative. Her job is to promptly answer email, phone calls, and review bid activity on our auctions. She takes action on all notifications of bid retractions that we receive from eBay real time as well as spot checks our listings for bidders with a high number of bid retractions, zero-feedback bidders, and low-feedback bidders. I am also assisting in this process. She started working with PWCC in the second week of January and is now fully engaged in her role in monitoring auctions.

Second, we hired a full-time web developer. He is responsible for managing and optimizing our website, which has a significant role in our operations. Some of you may have noticed recent updates to our Client Portal. He is currently exploring the information provided through eBay's API and has the task of identifying a way to automate our bid monitoring procedures. We are hopeful that he can take the human component out of bid monitoring - or at least help us do our job better.

As always, thank you for the feedback!

Betsy Huigens
I would suggest your employee prioritize the highest value auctions which is where the most suspicious activity, or at least the most impactful, is going to occur. I found the Trout 26 retraction bidder in about two minutes, as I said.