NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Default 1976 Topps Glossy Proofs

Posted By: Dave Hornish

I have been making a diligent effort to go through a dozen year's worth of old articles, ads and auctions I have saved over the years so I can update my files and databases. Every once in a while I pull out a doozy.

First of all, bear in mind these were offered by the Alan Hager Group in 1994. Having said that, he had a group of cards running from #429 to #565 which he described as "1976 TOPPS GLOSSY Test Issue-These are Test Issue with white back cards, an enamel front with a white stat." That is a verbatim quote and there are no photos in the ad. Having said that, has anyone heard of these before or have a scan?

Old 11-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Randy Trierweiler

Hi Dave, I am very skeptical of this one. I follow every rare Topps issue as well, looking for Cardinals. I dealt with the Hager group.....once. He liked to call everything a proof or test issue. Many were just blankbacked cards, but many were legit. This one smells funny to me. Randy

Old 11-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I'm not familiar with that story, but believe it or not I have three from 1975. They have high gloss on the front and snow white backs. I bought them long ago at a convention as "proofs." They obviously aren't ordinary proofs in the sense that they aren't a step along the way to the final product, due to the stock and the glossy finish. But maybe Topps used them in some way in the process of finalizing the cards.

I will try to dig them up and post them, but I'm not sure how well the glossiness will show in a scan.

By the way, they have curled pretty badly over the years.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

By the way, they have curled pretty badly over the years.

Sounds like some of the same stuff the 3D-s are made from.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Topps' 1970s color separation proofs were usually blank backed and on bright white stock, as opposed to the gray of the regular card. Though the ones I've seen weren't extra glossy. So blank backed and bright white stock is consistent with many of Topps' proofs.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Administrator

On mine, the coating is not anywhere near as thick as on a Kellog's card. It is a thin gloss that has hairline cracks in it, similar to a T207. I'll try to scan them later this week, but I'm not sure how the scans will come out due to the curl.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

David and all,
Somewhere I too have a few color seperation proofs of Phillies. I know I have one from 1975 with a gloss front and blank white back that is oversized with print marks and color marks on the edges. I do know that I have a 1978 and 1979 example as well...both blank backs with a light gloss on front and were advertised as "color proofs."

Joshua

Old 11-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

Hey Josh-good to hear from you!

I have some 1978 color separations and I don't think that is what Hager was talking about (more a hunch than anything else). The "white stat" remark seems like it refers to the front of the card. Hager always had a lot of proofs-not sure who he knew at Topps but he had a ton back in the day.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Administrator

I've finally dug up my 1975 glossy proofs. Here is a scan of the Denny Doyle. I picked this one because it has the most cracking in the gloss. It still doesn't show up too well but you can see some of the cracking. I've also posted a scan of the white back.