NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > 1920 to 1949 Baseball cards- B/S/T

Old 03-23-2014, 09:44 PM
Eric Matthews

Default 1941 Original Joe DiMaggio Barbarino's Barber Shop Baseball Card ~ Brooklyn

Up for sale is this very rare 1941 Barbarino's Barber Shop Joe DiMaggio Baseball Card. I can't even find mention of it when searching the forums here.
This is 100% original, no reprint here!

$75.00 delivered or best offer

Payment by whatever means you want. I bought several of these from the daughter of an old collector who was a giant DiMaggio fan.

The vertical lines in the image are from the scanner- they are not on the card.

Last edited by KC Doughboy; 03-23-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:39 PM
Eric Matthews

These are novelty cards that were handed out by his barber in 1941.

Last edited by KC Doughboy; 03-23-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:46 AM

Default Not original?

Aren't these fantasy cards? The font looks wrong. And here is a listing on ebay that identifies it as a reprint:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOE-DiMAGGIO...item3f3285ac59

Brian P@rk.er
Old 03-24-2014, 08:49 PM
Eric Matthews

Brian, thanks for providing that reprint image. It is very clear from the type of card stock and image finish that the identified Reprint in the link you provided is substantially different from the one I am offering.
These were novelty cards and are not formally recognized in the Standard Catalog so details are hard to find, but I have now reviewed the card with a loupe and it is not any way similar to reprints of other cards I have seen. If it is a reprint, it is a VERY old reprint.
I want to be completely open and honest with everyone so each person can make up their own mind. Please look at the detailed scans.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That is a 100% fake card. Period. No if's and's or butt's.....it is a reprint/fake and is newer in mfg date. Fake, fake fake....if anyone buys it thinking it's real they are making a big mistake. Not even a good fake.....

FAKE!!

Last edited by Leon; 03-25-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:13 AM
Eric Matthews

Leon, can you provide me with details on this card and please let me know where I can see the original(s) you are comparing it to?
Old 03-25-2014, 05:50 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Doughboy View Post
Leon, can you provide me with details on this card and please let me know where I can see the original(s) you are comparing it to?
There are no originals as it's a fake (fantasy), not a reprint. Fake as a 3 dollar bill with artificial aging and all. It's a piece of crap that really should be destroyed, imo. When you have collected long enough you just know by the looks of some cards. I guarantee almost no one, who is experienced in pre-war, will ever think that card is remotely close to real.

One easy thing to see is that the printing on back doesn't have the crack marks that the other parts have. If it were real it (usually) would.....The thing just reeks fake....

Last edited by Leon; 03-25-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:39 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

What screams fake is the $75 price tag...
Old 03-25-2014, 10:36 PM

Eric,

In all due respect, the card is a fake. It is in the same vein as the following card which is listed as a reprint, but is also a fake:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1927-SPANKYS...item461d000b8f
Old 03-25-2014, 11:32 PM
Eric Matthews

Brian, thanks for providing additional information. All I have done is try to be totally open and honest about the card from the very start and disclose everything I knew to the best of my ability.
I asked numerous people to provide information on it, but it seems people want to scream "FAKE" but not offer any more.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:56 AM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default Barbarino

Here's another one -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vinnie barb.jpg (7.3 KB, 204 views)
Old 03-26-2014, 06:54 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Eric, there wasn't more information past fake to offer. It simply is. In the first reply you received, you may have misinterpreted what Brian was saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Aren't these fantasy cards? The font looks wrong. And here is a listing on ebay that identifies it as a reprint:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOE-DiMAGGIO...item3f3285ac59

Brian P@rk.er
Aren't these fantasy cards, wasn't so much a question, as it was a statement.. The fact that the word reprint is used in many of these auctions is misleading, usually out of a lack of understanding of what a reprint really is. And it mistakenly leads people to believe there are originals out there. But the simple fact is, you can't reprint something that doesn't exist.. Fantasy card IS the correct description for these, and it applies to EVERY ONE of them..

So basically Brian was trying to tell you that you were attempting to sell a card that doesn't exist. There is no 1941 Barbarino DiMaggio card, there is only modern prints with the intent of appearing as old..

Last edited by novakjr; 03-26-2014 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:56 AM
Alan Elefson

Eric-
Aside from what Leon said (the printing is exactly how other fantasy cards look. True vintage cards would show more honest wear in this condition), the fact that this card is only sold as a reprint on-line, or for too little money, means that everyone considers it a fantasy card. Your price is also very suspicious. A true early 1940s card on DiMaggio would sell for a few hundred dollars at the minimum.
Initially, I thought it was a fake or fantasy as well. However, I recommended that you post a thread on the main forum about it, just to be sure. I think the above responses should completely answer your questions.
As we discussed via PM, I hope you can get your money back, but if not, I am with Leon on destroying the item.

Alan Elefson
Old 03-26-2014, 08:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

And I should add this was not supposed to be an attack on the original poster, on my part. But it irritates me that that kind of card is being sold on this board when it is so obviously bogus. It, and their ilk, are the true definitions of fantasy cards (fake cards). But unless the OP (hi Eric) continues to try to sell it as anything other than fake then it's no big issue. It is what it is though..
Old 03-26-2014, 08:57 PM
Eric Matthews

I appreciate the further discussion and many learning points. I hope others on the board can learn as I have. Thanks for making this into a constructive post. Since this is B/S/T and this is no longer for sale, I'll let this die or maybe you want to lock it Leon?
Old 03-27-2014, 06:26 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Default Just a few things to add

Hey Eric, sorry the card was misrepresented to you. These are the things that bothered me on my initial viewing…as mentioned before, the type is very black and unbroken while the rest of the card has breaks. This was a yellow flag to me…there are times that a scan/scanner for whatever reason can create a distorted…so it is not a full disqualification. The thing that jumped out to me was that there are subtle differences in the typeface and the typeface you would expect to be used in the early 1940s. There are also incidences in the kerning (space between letters) that would indicate it was computer set and not hand set, especially between the V and the A and to a lesser extent the B and the A.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:00 AM
Scott Mt. Joy

Just to add, there are some 1916 M101-4/5 Altoona Fakes out there that the backs look an awful lot alike to this one, as has been said the type face is wrong for the time period. That was my red flag.