NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 10-07-2021, 09:13 AM

Just one example of the sticky stuff covereage re: Cole

https://www.si.com/mlb/yankees/news/...ff-speculation

Cole finished second in WAR among pitchers to Robbie Ray this year. Robbie Ray made 8 million dollars. Cole made 36 million dollars. It's not good enough to just be kinda good or even good. For 36 mil a year you need to be lights out. That is the expectation when you're being paid. If he didn't want that kind of microscope on him, he shouldn't have asked for 36 million a year. He couldn't get out of the third inning of a must win do or die game, he lost 2 out of his last 3 starts at the end of the season, and he gave up 7 home runs over his last 19 innings to end the year.

Last edited by packs; 10-07-2021 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:38 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

First Commandment of Elite Pitchers

NEVER SHAKE THE UMPIRE'S HAND

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:34 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
First Commandment of Elite Pitchers

NEVER SHAKE THE UMPIRE'S HAND
Only if you're a righty. A lefty could get away with it.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:49 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
Only if you're a righty. A lefty could get away with it.
I considered that stipulation, but thought it unneeded as someone like yourself would point it out.

Would a high five with your glove on satisfy your literal analysis as long as one didn’t use his gloved hand?

And I know you are going to say that Jim Abbott couldn’t comply.

If I am guilty of starting a wildfire, I plead no intent.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 10-08-2021 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:49 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Just one example of the sticky stuff covereage re: Cole

https://www.si.com/mlb/yankees/news/...ff-speculation

Cole finished second in WAR among pitchers to Robbie Ray this year. Robbie Ray made 8 million dollars. Cole made 36 million dollars. It's not good enough to just be kinda good or even good. For 36 mil a year you need to be lights out. That is the expectation when you're being paid. If he didn't want that kind of microscope on him, he shouldn't have asked for 36 million a year. He couldn't get out of the third inning of a must win do or die game, he lost 2 out of his last 3 starts at the end of the season, and he gave up 7 home runs over his last 19 innings to end the year.
Harsh. Find any pitcher in history who hasn't had a bad stretch even at an important time. The man will finish first or second in Cy Young voting. That's pretty damn good.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:57 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

When pitchers can no longer pitch 162 innings a year, rendering seasonal stats less conclusive, maybe they should just do away with the single Cy Young Award and vote for a litter of Baby Cys instead in each league.

You could then award a career Cy to any pitcher with seven babies.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Harsh. Find any pitcher in history who hasn't had a bad stretch even at an important time. The man will finish first or second in Cy Young voting. That's pretty damn good.
Good is winning important games. One of the games Cole lost against Toronto could have meant the Yankees playing at home. And it is not harsh to expect your 36 million dollar pitcher to show up when it matters.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:18 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Good is winning important games. One of the games Cole lost against Toronto could have meant the Yankees playing at home. And it is not harsh to expect your 36 million dollar pitcher to show up when it matters.
It's not realistic. Even the best pitchers lose and don't pitch well in big games sometimes. It's the nature of baseball.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-07-2021 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:29 AM

I'm not talking about one game and it seemed realistic when Pettitte, el Duque and Tanaka were typically able to live up to it.

Last edited by packs; 10-07-2021 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:32 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I'm not talking about one game and it seemed realistic when Pettitte, el Duque and Tanaka were typically able to live up to it.
It would be interesting to see stats on this. For example, stats sometimes don't verify people's perception about certain players being clutch hitters. In any case yeah for Yankees fans it would have been nice if Cole had pitched better in certain games, and I get the frustration. As a Sox fan I am glad he didn't but I still think he's a great pitcher.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-07-2021 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:19 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Would a high five with your glove on satisfy your literal analysis as long as one didn’t use his gloved hand?

And I know you are going to say that Jim Abbott couldn’t comply.
So long as five fingers are raised in some form, I think the spirit of the rule is met, whether or not the five fingers are obscured by a glove.

Quote:
You could then award a career Cy to any pitcher with seven babies.
If innings pitched continue their precipitous decline, before long outfielders will be making more throws each game than pitchers. I propose we retroactively award a Baby Cy to outfielder Gus Zernial, who had six home runs in three games commemorated on his 1952 Topps card (he hit a seventh the following day), and also to pitcher Larry Jansen, who is shown on his card holding up seven fingers--one for each of his children.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:04 PM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Andy Pettite was pretty awful in Game 6 of the 2001 Series and the supernaturally consistent Mariano Rivera laid an egg in Game 7.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:21 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
...and the supernaturally consistent Mariano Rivera laid an egg in Game 7.
In the 2004 ALCS as well. Just goes to show that even the great ones stumble sometimes.