NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-22-2012, 08:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default How has your mail service been lately?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/22...ntcmp=trending
Old 11-22-2012, 09:24 PM
Ronald Goldberg

Great story! Thanks for posting it, Peter.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:16 AM
Barry Sloate

I see the problem- he sent it on a holiday. That'll slow down the mail!
Old 11-23-2012, 04:36 AM
Ronald Goldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I see the problem- he sent it on a holiday. That'll slow down the mail!
He must have been too purim to send it FedEx.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:16 AM
Rob.ert Bal.ke

Oh mail is just great I received a Psa graded card which left seller in 1 piece and came to me all cracked up got to wonder how this happened. Thank God card is undamaged
Old 11-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Belltown Vintage

I'm not getting this. From the postmarks, it looks like someone just found an old postcard that had already been delivered, and stuck it back in a mailbox.

(not that I want to take away from Fox's acute sense for trivial drama)

Last edited by Runscott; 11-23-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:03 PM

I actually do this all the time Scott. Years ago my dad found a large collection of used postcards in the basement of a "handyman special" he bought, most from the 30's-40's. I have all the cards sorted out by town, most of them local and if I go to the town I'll bring the postcard with me and put it in the mailbox if I can find the address. Much easier now with GPS. I've gone a little out of my way to deliver on the same date as the postmark before too so the people can say they got it EXACTLY xx years later
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 11-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
I actually do this all the time Scott. Years ago my dad found a large collection of used postcards in the basement of a "handyman special" he bought, most from the 30's-40's. I have all the cards sorted out by town, most of them local and if I go to the town I'll bring the postcard with me and put it in the mailbox if I can find the address. Much easier now with GPS. I've gone a little out of my way to deliver on the same date as the postmark before too so the people can say they got it EXACTLY xx years later
John, that's a great idea, and I'm sure the recipients are very appreciative.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:05 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
I was about to comment about the ethics of making the post office deliver the same piece of mail again years after the fact (without paying for another stamp), but then continued reading to see that you were doing the delivery yourself. Awesome, commendable, and hopefully an appreciated by the recipients still living at those addresses!
Old 11-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Barry Sloate

I once read an article in SCD about 19th century advertising currency, and one piece had the address 84 Court Street in Brooklyn on it. In the 1880's it was a haberdashery and millinery. That address is right in my neighborhood, so I walked over and discovered it was a pizza parlor. I made a photocopy of the currency and gave it to the owner. He was so happy that he gave me a free slice! True story.