NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-29-2013, 11:16 AM
Dan Bretta

Default OT: George Bush Autograph...and PSA???

Okay, so I purchased this from a local friend yesterday, and after doing a little research I'm confused...did Donruss have autograph cards that don't even mention the auto on the back and why did PSA grade this card and not the auto?? Case is not tampered with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04962 (1024x768).jpg (71.0 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04964 (1024x768).jpg (63.3 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04965 (1024x768).jpg (70.2 KB, 207 views)
Old 05-29-2013, 01:18 PM
J Stone

I've always been confused about this but from what I understand the red flip labels is ONLY used when ONLY the card itself is being graded. And only the card grade is considered.

Assuming the autograph was issued with the card, whoever submitted it did not do so to get the autograph authenticated or graded, in which case they would need to submit to PSA/DNA and get back a card with a blue flip label. With that service you can request the autograph be authenticated and optionally graded, but the card itself is not considered.

In theory you could have a fake autograph on a GEM MINT 10 card in a red flip, and a "10" autograph on a PSA 1 condition card with a blue flip.

Confused yet?
Old 05-29-2013, 01:37 PM
Dan Bretta

Thanks for adding to my confusion.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:09 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
I've always been confused about this but from what I understand the red flip labels is ONLY used when ONLY the card itself is being graded. And only the card grade is considered.

Assuming the autograph was issued with the card, whoever submitted it did not do so to get the autograph authenticated or graded, in which case they would need to submit to PSA/DNA and get back a card with a blue flip label. With that service you can request the autograph be authenticated and optionally graded, but the card itself is not considered.

In theory you could have a fake autograph on a GEM MINT 10 card in a red flip, and a "10" autograph on a PSA 1 condition card with a blue flip.

Confused yet?
Not true, flip color does not matter.

You can buy blank 'stickers' to have a player sign, then stick them onto the card. This card isn't certified from the issue, those are numbered to 10. The person got Bush to sign the sticker, then put it on the card. Then they filled out the submission form incorrectly. ALL signed cards would have a PSA/DNA and certification number along with the flip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg appling.jpg (41.8 KB, 171 views)

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 05-29-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:21 PM
Dan Bretta

You can buy blank stickers?? The same ones that Donruss has players/celebrities sign?
Old 05-29-2013, 02:31 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
Not true, flip color does not matter.

You can buy blank 'stickers' to have a player sign, then stick them onto the card. This card isn't certified from the issue, those are numbered to 10. The person got Bush to sign the sticker, then put it on the card. Then they filled out the submission form incorrectly. ALL signed cards would have a PSA/DNA and certification number along with the flip.
agreed with this. it should have the COA back if it's factory-certified by donruss. this card just has the normal back.

i also think the submitter didn't want to pay for psa/dna so they just submitted it to psa for just the card's grading. why psa didn't reject it i have no idea.

Last edited by chaddurbin; 05-29-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:39 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
You can buy blank stickers?? The same ones that Donruss has players/celebrities sign?
They aren't those same ones, the Donruss/Topps/Bowman etc. stickers have 'holograms' on them that say, "Donruss/Topps/Bowman Authentic Autograph" or something mentioning the company.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Dan Bretta

Okay, this is an actual Donruss sticker with the hologram, but the back of the card makes no mention of the autograph. Factory mistake?
Old 05-29-2013, 03:16 PM
qu@n nguy3n

i see a couple bush /10 auto, and even /25 auto from donruss (with COA on back mentioning the autograph)...but that's it. the sticker doesn't look tampered with, but these can be peeled off. i don't think anyone would peel off a sticker from a legit card to stick to a regular issued card, so your mistake theory could be the simplest explanation. give donruss a call maybe they'll send you a cool replacement.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:18 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Okay, this is an actual Donruss sticker with the hologram, but the back of the card makes no mention of the autograph. Factory mistake?
Wow...have a tricky one here, because this is supposed to be the correct back:

There are two versions of this card, on numbered to 10 and one to 25, so yes, most likely an error.

But, I personally don't like the autograph
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bush.jpg (65.9 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 05-29-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:22 PM
qu@n nguy3n

ok i just did a quick google search and seems like just like the bowman scam alot of people are peeling off common autos, wipe then and forge more expensive sigs and stick them into base cards.

as a matter of fact the 128/250 bush card dan has is referenced in the thread below...before being sent to psa:

http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1455096.html
Old 05-29-2013, 03:51 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
ok i just did a quick google search and seems like just like the bowman scam alot of people are peeling off common autos, wipe then and forge more expensive sigs and stick them into base cards.

as a matter of fact the 128/250 bush card dan has is referenced in the thread below...before being sent to psa:

Yep, you got it. I didn't want to say anything about that method, but that's how it's done, as with this card.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:51 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post

Yep, you got it. I didn't want to say anything about that method, but that's how it's done, as with this card.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:16 PM
Dan Bretta

Good lord...I knew I shouldn't a messed around in the auto world.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Why shouldn't the forgers have a chance to sign these things?
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 06-03-2013, 09:31 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Why shouldn't the forgers have a chance to sign these things?
Since these autographs are apparently easy to wipe and the sticker easily removable from the card these companies should be figuring out a better way...maybe putting a sticker over the sharpie type autographs that can't be separated without destroying the hologram sticker.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:50 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Since these autographs are apparently easy to wipe and the sticker easily removable from the card these companies should be figuring out a better way...maybe putting a sticker over the sharpie type autographs that can't be separated without destroying the hologram sticker.
Usually they are pretty tough to get taken off intact. I've experimented on a few. You cannot do it with just an exacto blade or anything like that, it's a process but I was shocked when I removed one and it didn't void it out or anything, which they should do.