NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 06-09-2015, 07:41 PM
shawn

Thank ya! The graded cards are growing on me a little if in my budget
Old 06-09-2015, 08:24 PM
John

That is a nice card - why'd you hide the grade? I think the centering is great, but I'm guessing the corners weren't sharp enough to get more than.... 6?
Old 06-09-2015, 09:29 PM
shawn

It's a psa 5. I usually just try to fit the card in the picture. I've been eyeballing #23 in the set for a while and this one popped up graded in my price range $35 and no one else bid on it.. The back is prolly why the grade i assume.. It's stained or smoke or age I dunno
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (79.3 KB, 252 views)
Old 06-10-2015, 10:53 AM
John

Must be tough to be a grader sometimes - I don't have a guess as to what that is either. Hopefully, it doesn't smell like smoke - I hate when I get that new eBay package, open it up, and it smells like someone was in the package smoking.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 06-10-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:24 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Default 1957 Topps Bill Sherman No Team

Unfortunate paper loss. I like that this one was beginning to not have the position either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (69.6 KB, 211 views)
Old 06-15-2015, 03:55 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

I had a good Monday at my mailbox: five baseball cards, one basketball card,six hockey cards, and ONE football card
1948 Bowman #3 Johnny Lujack (SP) RC. I've learned that Bowmans third series of '48 FB cards are scarce, skip numbered starting at #3 ending at #108 all divisible by three. Look, if I have the pleasure of meeting some of you guys at the National this year, I'll forget your name in like five minutes. But I remember this divisibility rule from when I was ten years old: "Sum the digits if the result is divisible by 3, then the original number is divisible by 3" example: #108 → 1 + 0 + 8 = 9 and clearly divisible by 3. So it's easy to remember which cards are the SPs. I'm still chipping away at this set, needing 24 more, of which nine are divisible by three
Larry
 photo Scan2042.jpg photo Scan2043.jpg
Old 06-15-2015, 07:56 PM
John

Very nice to see a 48 Bowman - I always found it interesting that the basketball and baseball sets from around the same time are color. And love the divisibility rule - first time I ever saw that.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:27 AM

Scored again on the Fairmont's. This is just part of the group. If anybody has Fairmont's from any year I have dupes to trade or will buy outright.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jbfairmont1.jpg (76.4 KB, 172 views)
Old 06-17-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockwell123 View Post
just scooped this up... 1 card left to go for '59 topps
Nice Bart Starr! I just completed this set earlier this year myself. Love the 59's! Which card are you missing?
Old 06-17-2015, 07:02 PM
shawn

thanks, i actually just bought my last card a graded 5.5 jim Taylor error card. Hopefully shows up before the weeks out.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:48 PM

Congrats on completing the set!

Last edited by JoeMoe; 06-17-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:38 PM
shawn

thanks again! showed up today..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59 Jim Taylor.jpg (71.8 KB, 423 views)
Old 06-19-2015, 08:44 PM
MikeHealer

I got these a few months ago and finally got around to scanning them. I thought they were pretty cool.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:00 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

My first post on here, grabbed all these today for an amazing price and wanted to share, all HOF'ers except Lamonica, various conditions but nothing terrible. Best local pickup Ive had in quite some time.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:50 PM
shawn

Way to go!
Old 06-24-2015, 07:31 AM
John

Is there a 63 Deacon Jones? One of my favorite cards.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:49 PM

Oddly enough there wasnt, the guy had a ton of 63 but no Deacon.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:31 PM
John

I picked up a couple of 55 AA cards in Steve Novella auctions recently. A couple of things jumped out at me:

-thought Nevers played more than 5 pro seasons
-had no idea Stanford used to be known as the Indians - was surprised to see that mascot on the card
-Henry's timing was pretty good - the start of his pro career lined up exactly with the start of the NFL in 1920
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nevers_Front_6.jpg (78.1 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg Henry_Front_4.jpg (78.2 KB, 308 views)
Old 07-11-2015, 11:44 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrenBats View Post
Isola and Nagurski. Looking to stay in the PSA 1-2 range.
Sorry you didnt read my message on that Nag a while back in AH.
BUt i am informing/PM'ed about a Nag 1.5 that is for sell, if you reading this.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 07-12-2015, 06:57 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezHood View Post
I picked up a couple of 55 AA cards in Steve Novella auctions recently. A couple of things jumped out at me:

-thought Nevers played more than 5 pro seasons
-had no idea Stanford used to be known as the Indians - was surprised to see that mascot on the card
-Henry's timing was pretty good - the start of his pro career lined up exactly with the start of the NFL in 1920
There were lots and lots of really great players in the 20s and 30s who either didn't play professional football at all or had short careers and quit. I think it mostly had to do with deciding that it was time to find a career to pursue as playing football just wasn't lucrative enough to make it worthwhile for most. For those athletes not interested in business, law, or medicine, it seems like coaching / athletic administration was the field of choice and so a lot quit football to become coaches or went straight into coaching after college.

I can probably rattle off 10-20 players that, if they had just continued playing the sport, would be in the pro football HOF today.

jeff
Old 07-12-2015, 09:06 AM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
There were lots and lots of really great players in the 20s and 30s who either didn't play professional football at all or had short careers and quit. I think it mostly had to do with deciding that it was time to find a career to pursue as playing football just wasn't lucrative enough to make it worthwhile for most. For those athletes not interested in business, law, or medicine, it seems like coaching / athletic administration was the field of choice and so a lot quit football to become coaches or went straight into coaching after college.

I can probably rattle off 10-20 players that, if they had just continued playing the sport, would be in the pro football HOF today.

jeff
Right, that's a really good point Jeff. I actually did some research on players from the 30s that I'll share with the board before the end of the summer and I realized the same - for any career 3-4 years (even though that seemed short to me at first) I gave consideration to the player for my analysis. A lot of them had short careers/moved on like you said. Not sure of the effect of the depression - it could probably be argued some played a little longer due to lack of better alternatives - I have no idea on that one.

But Nevers? Such a huge name, I wouldn't have guessed that Grange's career was essentially twice as long..
Old 07-12-2015, 11:06 AM
Mike Dugan

There is a fair bio on Nagurski that came out about ten years ago by Jim Dent, MONSTER OF THE MIDWAY.

While I consider Dent the best college football author of this era this is not his best effort though still very readable. Apparently Bronko made twice the money wrestling than he did in football during those years. Perhaps a bigger factor was that he had a very private personality, he loved farm life and later he owned a gas station in International Falls and just didn't like travel that much.

I wrote to him twice, sending black and white 8 x10s and both times he signed them very quickly and sent them back, very nice man. I did the same with Grange back in the early 80's and he did the same. I always felt like I had the Ruth and Cobb of football!
Old 07-12-2015, 06:16 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezHood View Post
Right, that's a really good point Jeff. I actually did some research on players from the 30s that I'll share with the board before the end of the summer and I realized the same - for any career 3-4 years (even though that seemed short to me at first) I gave consideration to the player for my analysis. A lot of them had short careers/moved on like you said. Not sure of the effect of the depression - it could probably be argued some played a little longer due to lack of better alternatives - I have no idea on that one.

But Nevers? Such a huge name, I wouldn't have guessed that Grange's career was essentially twice as long..
Nevers footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pttgKlG8Vds

Enjoy!

jeff
Old 07-12-2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:

jeff
My great uncle Jack Green(who is in 55 all american set) went that route. He had a lot of interest from teams but coaching paid him a lot more, he eventually ended up as head coach at vanderbilt. The $ back then for playing was terrible, hard to comprehend it with todays pro contracts.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:18 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by brafcauknid View Post
My great uncle Jack Green(who is in 55 all american set) went that route. He had a lot of interest from teams but coaching paid him a lot more, he eventually ended up as head coach at vanderbilt. The $ back then for playing was terrible, hard to comprehend it with todays pro contracts.
Wow, that's cool! I'm working on a signed set of '55 AA cards and need Jack Green. Do you have any autographed cards?

jeff
Old 07-13-2015, 08:40 AM
John

Mike, thats awesome that you got Grange and Nagurski to sign!

I really enjoyed Dent’s book - I’m going to reread it at some point - one of the best things he did to me was bring a lot of the other Bears personalities to life (Luckman, Bulldog Turner, Musso, etc.). My one issue was that, in my opinion, he took some , um…. “creative liberties” - I don’t have a real problem with it - those are the parts that made it so readable - I just don’t think anyone could’ve known some of the details he added. Quick funny story - after I finished it - I checked the Amazon reviews and someone mentioned “written for a high schooler” or something like that - I guess I’m young at heart.

Last thing on the Big Nag, I found a story in the SI vault - from what I recall, he didn’t have great things to say about the wrestling career - he mentioned something to the effect of being promised big paydays he never got. Made me wonder if he wished he had stayed with football. He was definitely a private person like you said. Myron Cope tried to interview him for “The Game that Was” and I believe he said “I don’t have time to reminisce.”

Jeff - thanks for the Nevers footage! It reminded me, in the NFL Top 100 they do have game footage of one play. Strangely enough he’s lined up at wingback and runs a sweep - strange because by the accounts I’ve read his teams played the double wing and he took all the snaps as the fullback.

And finally, pretty cool we found another relative of one of these old time players. Another confirmation that the money wasn't good enough to keep these guys in the game (as players).

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 07-13-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Wow, that's cool! I'm working on a signed set of '55 AA cards and need Jack Green. Do you have any autographed cards?

jeff
I have a number of items he had signed but not a 55 topps card, I'll have to do some looking, his son ended up with all his football related stuff when Jack passed but his son unfortunately passed away a couple years ago so I'm not sure where all Jack's football related stuff ended up after that.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:38 PM

My additions for the day...SOOOOOO happy to get the 2 tall boys! Sorry for pic quality.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:46 PM
Jason

Default Recent auction pickup

Old 07-24-2015, 09:26 AM
John

Default more chicles....

Nice high grade 50 Bowman! I really like that set.

I had a... expensive week - there was a seller on eBay that was originally selling a 35 Chicle set as a BIN. The set was nice - the highlight in my opinion was that the high numbered cards were mostly all midgrade whereas those seem to come up more often in low grades (I talked to a few other collectors though and the consensus was that the pricing for the set was high). Recently, they decided to break up the set. The pattern seemed to be that cards would show up as BINs and then switch to auctions later (with 99 cent starting bids - my favorite). I had my eye on the Hinkle and the Presnell. The Hinkle I needed, but the Presnell would’ve been an upgrade. The day I decided to buy the Presnell, it switched to auction and I wound up loosing the auction as it sold for a price higher than the BIN!

The good news is that I won the Hinkle (which means I'm down to 6 cards to finish the set - 3 high numbers and 3 low numbers). One thing I tend to do when I see a bunch of Chicles being auctioned off is throw out bids even on some I don’t need just in case they sell for below my valuation. And sure enough…. I wound up winning a Knute Rockne as well.

I feel they both sold low - obviously the Hinkle is poorly centered, but it’s not the only one I’ve seen that has the very narrow right border. I like the card’s color - I think it’s reasonably well preserved and the price was right.

Here are the images:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24_Hinkle_Front.jpg (76.9 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg 9_Rockne_Front_4.jpg (78.5 KB, 228 views)

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 07-24-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:16 PM
Jason

Default Chipping away at who knows what

Old 07-25-2015, 07:06 PM

that Hinkle has really nice registration. congrats John.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:59 PM
John

Thanks Andy - I appreciate it - its also a signature centered variation which is another reason I went after it.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:45 AM

Default Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthorst75 View Post
Waterfield, as well as Van Bronklin, don't seem to get much hobby love. Then again, a lot of the greats from the 50's don't seem to (Graham, Motley, etc.).

It seems most collectors favor 1952, or even 1951, over 1950 Bowman. But of all the Bowman releases in the 40's & 50's, 1950 remains my favorite. Some great rookies, not nearly as many centering issues, and the unique size all appeal to me.

I finally tracked down the elusive Jim White from the set and need only 6 more to finish off my PSA mid-grade set.

Happy hunting with your own set!

Snorto~
Old 07-26-2015, 12:01 PM
Jason

Thanks Snorto for your comments. I have/had no plans of building this set, just wanted to get the Baugh and Tittle then it turned into getting quarterbacks then Motley and other big cards and then the artwork. What's the story on the Jim White? Is it a tough card to locate or is it because of its centering that makes it tough? I do like the 51 and 52 Bowman set but I'll know what that turns into once it's started especially the 51 Baugh, what a sharp card! Look for more posts, I'm sure there will be more...
Old 08-03-2015, 10:41 AM

Hey Guys - new member here, but have been a longtime member on BO. I've recently decided to shift my PC to Vintage HOF PSA RC's (very happy with my choice so far). I wanted to show off a few recent football pickups. I'm also doing the same for Basketball and Baseball.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:35 AM
Dan Paradis

Default Finally.... Namath RC

I've been collecting HOF QB RC's for over 5 years now. I finally found a reasonably centered, lower grade Namath RC that I could overpay for and sell at a loss a few years from now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Namath 1965 Topps PSA 2.5.jpg (75.1 KB, 231 views)
Old 08-03-2015, 01:02 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP View Post
...that I could overpay for and sell at a loss a few years from now!
This made me laugh - nice Namath!
Old 08-03-2015, 05:38 PM
Jeff P

Welcome and great cards to start with! Keep'em coming.

jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauchand View Post
Hey Guys - new member here, but have been a longtime member on BO. I've recently decided to shift my PC to Vintage HOF PSA RC's (very happy with my choice so far). I wanted to show off a few recent football pickups. I'm also doing the same for Basketball and Baseball.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:48 PM
shawn

nice cards. way to go.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:48 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

I found this 1959 Bell Brand card in the $5 bargain bin at the National. It's my first!
Larry
 photo Scan_1.jpg
 photo Scan 1.jpg
Old 08-04-2015, 04:35 PM

Picked up this little gem in a trade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fairmont Pitts.jpg (68.4 KB, 277 views)
Old 08-04-2015, 05:45 PM
shawn

Got this in the mail couple of days ago. slowly chipping away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57 Brocklin.jpg (72.7 KB, 275 views)
Old 08-06-2015, 04:02 PM

Todays pickups, Nitschke is a little rough, but the price was right.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:56 PM
Phil Garry

Those are some nice FB HOF RC's there..........
Old 08-06-2015, 07:12 PM
Jeff

Default Nat'l Pick Ups

'63 Fleer Set & '59 Bazooka Tittle and some empty boxes

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 08-06-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:16 PM
Phil Garry

Jeff:

Nice Alworth & Dawson HOF RC's.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:03 AM
John

Nice National pickups! The borders on those 63 Fleer are really white. What's the plan for the boxes?
Old 08-07-2015, 07:47 PM
Jeff

The boxes go in my display cabinet, - for clarity - they are empty.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 08-07-2015, 08:58 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
The boxes go in my display cabinet, - for clarity - they are empty.
Got it - I thought they were filled with cards