NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Bob

Default Anything wrong with screwdown holders?

I believe most I've heard from say that they store cards either in penny sleeve/top loader, binders with top load pages, or CS Is/IIs (my preference, in pennys). What is the case against screw downs, if any? Is it the pressure against the cards? I have a few that have indentions the size of the '57+ cards, and I can see the obvious flaw with that one (if card isn't perfectly placed in the indention). But what about the flat ones?

Thanks,
Bob

Mid '50s for sale/trade

Last edited by wfubob; 06-02-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:31 PM
$teve O.

I have never used them,but I heard people say that they had there cards
stick in them and ruin there cards.Not sure how true that is.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:46 PM

Speaking as someone with some knowledge of archival storage and display, my experience says avoid these holders, for two reasons:

1) A cardinal rule of displaying anything of value is you don't want anything touching the surface. This is why when you display a print or autographed photo or anything like that, you have a matte cut to fit around it, so the class or poly doesn't touch. To do otherwise risks precisely what you fear: the item sticking, and this is especially crucial for ballcards, where much of the value lies in the state of the surface. Lose that gloss, and the value takes a hit.

2) Plastic holders, while generally stable, are by their nature not chemically inert, since they are petroleum based. They may last a long time, and in fact we're not sure how long they'll last, but basic chemistry and the laws of entropy says they will break down eventually, and could possibly react with the item! So unless you're using glass, which IS chemically inert (since it is comprised of one compound: silica), you're not completely safe against an adverse chemical reaction.

TPG holders like PSA and SGC,you will note, take care not to touch the surfaces of the card, but rather grip the edges, and keep a space between it and the plastic. So in that regard, they are a wiser option, depending on the value and condition of your cards.

Regards,

BR
Old 06-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Al Richter

Default Screw Down

I do not use them but did have a bad experience with one. While working on the Topps 1974 Deckle set in white back I bought a Luzinski from a reputable seller that was encased in one ( he had obtained it that way). I display all my sets in binders so set to free it from the slab. It unscrewed easy enough but the card was stuck to the bottom layer of the plastic and could not be removed without damage to the back of the card.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

I have used them since the eighties and never had a single problem.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If there is a little dirt or grit on the surface you will drive it into the card. I did that with one. I also created a fine network of creases with a larger holder on an Exhibit card. My advice is don't do it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-03-2012, 12:48 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

I had a 33 Goudey HOF with multiple creases in one. I finally decided to convert my Goudey's to PSA holders. The card came back with "Altered Stock". I question what they meant by that and said there were multiple creases so why would anyone alter it and leave those.

This is the response I got back:
"Your card did not qualify for a numeric grade because it appeared to have some signs of
altered card stock. Was the card previously in a screw-down holder? Those types of
holders put a lot of pressure on cards, and give them a pressed appearance, which we
consider to be altered. "
Old 06-03-2012, 01:02 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I used large screwdowns on a run of 50's wrappers....ruined them all! dave.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Keith

I purchased a near mint George Brett 75 Rookie card that came in a very thick screw down holder. When I opened it the face of the card was stuck to the holder. After several attempts to carefully remove it the card was ruined when a section of the card peeled away and remained stuck to the holder.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

I use them in my HOF collection but I cut by hand archival safe paper to give them a SCG apperarence as well as a matte like protection. My experience has always been when using them not to over tighten the screws but leave a bit of gap as to not to press the card within a cause crimping or flattening.
Drew
Old 06-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
I use them in my HOF collection but I cut by hand archival safe paper to give them a SCG apperarence as well as a matte like protection. My experience has always been when using them not to over tighten the screws but leave a bit of gap as to not to press the card within a cause crimping or flattening.
Drew
Drew,

Can you show a picture of this? It sounds great but i'm not sure I'm completely understanding what you're doing.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Steve Birmingham

Some of my older ones had deteriorated in an odd way. No sticking, but they got an appearance as if the plastic had gotten runny in spots. Very odd, the worst looked like glass from the 1880's. No damage found so far, I must have gotten lucky.

Steve B
Old 06-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Steve

After reading these horror stories, I went to check on the couple of cards I have had stored in screw-downs for the past 20 years. No indication of any of the problems mentioned, but I couldn't help taking out a phillips driver and easing back the screws a few turns.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:12 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I've never had a problem with the screw down holders, but I do agree with the other comment that you shouldn't over tighten the screws. If you're worried about the holder damaging a card, why not place the card in a penny sleeve first and then put it in the screw down holder?
Old 06-12-2012, 05:33 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob28 View Post
Drew,

Can you show a picture of this? It sounds great but i'm not sure I'm completely understanding what you're doing.
Here is a link to a thread showing some of my displays
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=150397
Drew
Old 06-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Bob

Thanks for all the input guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I've never had a problem with the screw down holders, but I do agree with the other comment that you shouldn't over tighten the screws. If you're worried about the holder damaging a card, why not place the card in a penny sleeve first and then put it in the screw down holder?
After reading this suggestion, that's exactly what I did, with loose screws. I've been looking for ultra-pro magnetic one touches sized for '52-'56 but haven't found any. Anyone know if they make them? Checked their website and didn't see 'em...

Thanks,
Bob

Mid '50s for sale/trade
Old 07-03-2012, 07:08 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Screw Downs for Wet Ones

I have a number of flat lucite screw down holders.

For display and storage over tightening the screws can be a problem.

If you're a card "soaker" there is no better way to dry the cards than between paper towels in a flat screw down holder. Changing the paper once or twice, I can get a card dry in several hours rather than several days using this technique.

I've never seen this mentioned on a soaking thread and maybe this post belongs there as well.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:47 AM

Seems like that had more to do with climate issues? I would guess that the card was at some point left in a hot car, or somewhere that would lead to swelling? I too have never had an issue with 4 screw down holders.. I prefer them. I've always thought that they display vintage well..I get edgy when I see nice quality vintage in floppy card protectors... I've always had difficulty with those with the card seemingly needing to force its' way into the sleeve to separate the plastic... I recently took a lot of my vintage out of the 4 screw down cases to scan the cards for online activity, and I did not have a single issue with any of the cards.....My cards have always been kept in a climate controlled environment.. I'm guessing those that have had issues perhaps at one time or another were in the sun etc..??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradmar48 View Post
I purchased a near mint George Brett 75 Rookie card that came in a very thick screw down holder. When I opened it the face of the card was stuck to the holder. After several attempts to carefully remove it the card was ruined when a section of the card peeled away and remained stuck to the holder.

http://vintagebaseballcardshop.com
Old 07-08-2012, 12:53 AM

Yeah... I concur.. That's how all of mine are kept... I place them in penny sleeves prior to putting them in the screw down holders, that way there's a degree of separation between the cards and the plastic holder... It also creates a barrier for the card from the cracks of the screw down.. It is also important to make sure that they are not "overly tightened" This is one of those cases to where you don't want to give it that last 1 or 2 clicks...BUT you want to make sure that it is tight enough so that the card doesn't shift around or heaven forbid fall out! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post

http://vintagebaseballcardshop.com
Old 07-15-2012, 04:21 PM

Default 1952 Num Num Roberto Avila

After reading through this thread, I decided I better free my 1952 Num Num Roberto Avila card in ExMt condition from the original screwdown holder that I bought it in, around 10yrs ago. I consider myself lucky that the card slid right out, and now resides in a top loader. I had visions of losing corners or prying off front/back with a butter knife and seeing it fall apart. Thanfully all worked out. I never would have thought to even check had I not read this thread!

Jason