NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 01-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default Cowboys Suck

Are there any other Cowboy fans out there? I've been a supporter since 1965, and other than the mid-late '80s, we have never been totally hopeless like we are now.

Please, Jerry Jones, you total a-hole - get rid of Romo and your defensive coordinator, so we at least have a chance of getting to the playoffs again.

Rant over, as is the season.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:19 AM
Dan Brown

I'm a Cowboy fan, and very disappointed this season. Bring back Danny White. I wish Jerry Jones would leave or sell. The team has no leader from top to bottom!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebro041 View Post
I'm a Cowboy fan, and very disappointed this season. Bring back Danny White. I wish Jerry Jones would leave or sell. The team has no leader from top to bottom!
Yep, agreed on the leadership issue.

I thought it was funny last night when the announcers described a discussion they had with Romo about who we would be compared to (his legacy).

To me, it's obvious - Danny White. White was a guy who had flashes of greatness (but not as many as Romo), but who just wasn't great. You don't go to Superbowls (except when it's a fluke, like Neil O'Donnell or the Ravens when they had an incredible defense) with guys like Danny White or Tony Romo as q.b.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Jeff

NO, the Browns suck - the Cowboys are just very average.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 01-04-2012, 04:28 AM
Tim M

I have been a fan since the 70s, another wasted year. Seems to me problem is no mental toughness and defense is terrible, get rid of Newman to start.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:52 AM

I don't think Romo was the issue this year. He actually had a very good year. Their secondary is horrible.

You can't really blame Romo for blowing the first Giants game or the two they lost with the field goal issues. He was also playing with a bum hand this last game.

The Cowboys might start to get fixed if Jerry would relinquish GM duties but he has too much pride for that.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Jerry

Jerry is a smart businessman and a horrible GM. I think he should get another face lift too. He looks like a circus clown right after he gets them. As for the Boys, they need something, I am just not sure what. I like them but only when they win .
Old 01-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Belltown Vintage

I agree with every comment in this thread, but as much as I like Romo, I just don't see him as a consistent winner under pressure. Sure, everyone has horrible games, but he has plenty of great, and plenty of horrible. That kills you when you are beginning a playoff run. He just isn't as aware as he needs to be, as often as he needs to be. For instance, the play where he got flagged for crossing the line of scrimmage before passing - he had at least ten yards of daylight and only three to slide for a first. He had no idea where he was, and that's often the case with him. Danny White was cross-eyed, not sure what Romo's issue is.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Dan Brown

I think Romo is on the field thinking about the next hotspot to wine and dine his lady friends. Oh yeah what quarter is it? Lol
Old 01-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Quote:
I think Romo is on the field thinking about the next hotspot to wine and dine his lady friends. Oh yeah what quarter is it? Lol
He's married now and she's smokin, so i don't think that's the problem. IMO he's just an average qb, like Scott said, great at times and absolutely horrendous at others. If the pokes are going to win a super bowl with Romo at the helm, they're going to have to get better at o-line and secondary; not necessarily a Dilfer & Ravens situation, as I think he's better than Dilfer was, but he needs more help than he's got right now.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:01 PM

The interesting thing is, when they brought up if he would be remembered as a Danny White or Troy Aikman, it hit me, he really is another Danny White. They both put up some really good numbers but couldn't get to the Super Bowl.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Alan U

The Cowboys were worse before the Hershel Walker trade.

Jerry needs to give up some control to a guy like Gruden or Cower, but it didn't work so well with Parcels.

As for Romo, he's a great golfer, but just an above average QB.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ease View Post
He's married now and she's smokin, so i don't think that's the problem. IMO he's just an average qb, like Scott said, great at times and absolutely horrendous at others. If the pokes are going to win a super bowl with Romo at the helm, they're going to have to get better at o-line and secondary; not necessarily a Dilfer & Ravens situation, as I think he's better than Dilfer was, but he needs more help than he's got right now.
It's hard for some of us to forget that pre-playoff moment when he was apparently more fixated on Jessica Simpson than on the playoff game - it appeared to me at the time to be a bad sign for the future. But future events showed that he's just inconsistent. But yeah, the Ravens were a very extreme example - I doubt any team will ever again get to a Superbowl with a quarterback like that.

I will even take back my previous statement and say that I think Romo CAN win the Super Bowl, but he would have to have several great games in a row, and I don't think he's capable of stringing together more than two under that kind of pressure. The two major weak spots you mention (o-line and secondary), even if remedied, I don't think will solve the Romo inconsistency issue. But we'll see next year - no way Jones lets us have a third year in a row like this.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Steve Liskey

The problem is at the top and not going to go away any time soon. They lack mental toughness and don't have enough 'smart' players to mix with the so called 'talented' players. Without a real GM, the Cowboys will have a tough time putting the right mix of players together. The Jerry/Jimmy combo was great. The only problem was their egos. If they could have focussed on football only, they could of won a couple more Super Bowls.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:11 AM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

I have been a Cowboys fan since growing up in the NJ suburbs in the early 80s, and I love this team despite the way they kill me almost every Sunday. I can honestly say I've never been more exasperated with this team than I am right now, and I feel like the situation is growing more hopeless with each poor-to-mediocre season.

The problem, as others have said, is NOT Romo. He was the #4 rated passer in the league this year behind Rodgers/Brees/Brady. Put him in good system, take him away from the circus and give him a good coach who can deal with quarterbacks (Andy Reid, for instance) and I bet this guy wins several Super Bowls. He feels like he is forced to make plays on almost every down because the rest of his team is devoid of playmakers, and his defense is atrocious beyond belief. So you are going to get the occasional "NO NO NO!!!" moment with Romo. But without Romo, this is a 2-14 team.

It all comes down to Jerry Jones. We are going on what - 16 years of futility and only a couple playoff wins in that timespan? The one constant is Jones. Most GMs get the chance to pick maybe 2 coaches, and if they don't succeed, guess what? The GM is fired. Not Jerry, he's on his 7th coach and you see the results. Garrett and his poor decisions are directly responsible for 3 Cowboys losses this season. I wish Jones would have enough self-awareness to see he is the problem, he is not a good evaluator of talent, and just swallow his pride and call up Jimmy Johnson and apologize. Of course that will never happen, and this team will continue to wallow in mediocrity or worse.

The worst part of all this is I fear it will continue for the next 75-100 years, as clearly the Jones succession plan is in place with his sons and grandsons.

Last edited by RobertGT; 01-08-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Belltown Vintage

I don't think Romo could take ANY team all the way through the playoffs to the Superbowl - he would stumble at some point. I'm not saying he's a bad quarterback, but you don't make a good playoff run just because of your qb rating, and you you generally don't do it with a qb like Romo, even if you've got a great team.

I could be dead wrong about this, but with all the other problems (offensive line, secondary, Jones in general) the Cowboys aren't giving us a chance to find out.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:20 AM
MikeHealer

Jeff Hostetler
Mark Rypien
Stan Humphries
Neil O'Donnell
Drew Bledsoe
Chris Chandler
Trent Dilfer
Kerry Collins
Brad Johnson
Rich Gannon
Jake Delhomme
Donovan McNabb
Matt Hasselbeck
Rex Grossman

All of the above players led their team to the Super Bowl and I can't imagine anyone thinking any of these QB's were all that special. Plus if you get rid of Romo, who do you replace him with. It's not like someone better is available.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehealer View Post
Jeff Hostetler
Mark Rypien
Stan Humphries
Neil O'Donnell
Drew Bledsoe
Chris Chandler
Trent Dilfer
Kerry Collins
Brad Johnson
Rich Gannon
Jake Delhomme
Donovan McNabb
Matt Hasselbeck
Rex Grossman

All of the above players led their team to the Super Bowl and I can't imagine anyone thinking any of these QB's were all that special. Plus if you get rid of Romo, who do you replace him with. It's not like someone better is available.
Many on your list had great years the year they led their team to the Superbowl. I don't think anyone here said Romo was the only issue with the Cowboys.

But I'll make this real easy. Go back to the 1st game between the Cowboys and Giants this year. Look at what Romo has done since then. Look at what Eli has done since then. The Giants had to have wins, so Eli led them to wins. The Cowboys didn't 'have' to have a win, so Romo didn't step up. Sorry, but he didn't. You can talk all you want about his q.b. rating, but Danny White had some great 'q.b. rating' seasons as well.

That's really the best I can do - if you want to hang the Cowboy's future on Tony Romo, then you'll get 4-6 more years of the same. Obviously the Cowboy's organization is happy with Romo, or he'd have been booted two years ago, so I must be wrong.

edited to add: I'll go out on a limb here, even "IF" Jones gets the supporting cast that any team would need in order to make a serious playoff run. A better clutch quarterback 'might' (but probably not) get the current Cowboys to the Superbowl. If Romo stays and Jones does everything he needs to do to shore up the team, Romo will still not get the Cowboys to a Superbowl - another team with an equal supporting cast, but with a star quarterback (like the Saints or Packers) would knock off a great Cowboys team with Romo. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Runscott; 01-08-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:58 PM
MikeHealer

Scott all of this is just our own opinions, that said I never once mentioned qb rating, so I'm not talking about that at all. It's just my opinion that he's better than the qb's on the list all of whom made it to a Super Bowl in the last 20 years.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Dan Brown

I have to admit i liked Romo before he had girl troubles. And i think he's better than Bernie Kosar, who won a championship(as a backup). I agree there was a lot of bad play calling and the defense is horrible. With that being said where do they go from here?
Old 01-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I have to admit i liked Romo before he had girl troubles. And i think he's better than Bernie Kosar, who won a championship(as a backup). I agree there was a lot of bad play calling and the defense is horrible. With that being said where do they go from here?
With so many issues, there are a lot of opportunities for improvement. There are a lot of Jekyl-and-Hydes on this team: Romo, o-line, secondary, receivers, Garrett, defensive coordinator, entire team's attitude. I think the key changes need to be the head coach and Romo. Pick up one of the many college qb prospects available and get a proven motivator as a new head coach (another Parcels). Everything else is secondary and should fall in place if Garrett and Romo go. Garrett isn't horrible, but all the mental lapses generally point to coaching.