NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-10-2003, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Default COMMENTS?

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2741278468&category=31719

Old 07-10-2003, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Default COMMENTS?

Posted By: JC

Fake, Fake, and Fake! How did the card obtain paper loss, soiling, staining, and a stamp mark while keeping MINT corners. Plus it's the old "rare find" from Grandpa. I'm sure someone will bid on it though.
I'm amazed they got the year right on the card, after they found it from grandpa's box.

Old 07-10-2003, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Default COMMENTS?

Posted By: quan

border and uniform merge nicely into each other, looks real to me but who knows anymore with computers and printers at where they are. the grandpa story is hard to stomach (along with the starting bid)...

Old 07-10-2003, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Default COMMENTS?

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Can original CJ cards have the type of paper loss exhibited by by this listing. I would think that that type of paper loss be would really tough with the thin paper stock of the CJ's.

Old 07-10-2003, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Default COMMENTS?

Posted By: jay behrens

JC, I think you're caught up int the current "anything that's questionable is fake" frenzy. The card passes the boarder uniform test and that is not a stamp on the back. Look closely and you will notice that the lettering is backwards.

Card looks pretty good, but is something I would want to see in person before spending any money on it.

Jay

Old 07-11-2003, 02:34 AM
Administrator

Default COMMENTS?

Posted By: botn

I think that the card is ok. It is the story that throws me off. Well that and the starting bid.

Old 07-11-2003, 05:43 AM
Administrator

Default COMMENTS?

Posted By: Jon Canfield

if anyone can make out the cigar brand. Wouldn't it be pretty easy to verify if that brand was produced around the time period of the card? I realize the card may have been placed into a cigar box in the 1940's for example, but I would think it would take a significant amount of time for the reverse design to be left in the back of the card, without the card sticking to the box and creating paper loss... I may be wrong (as I often am) but just an idea on how to verify the age...

Old 07-11-2003, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Default COMMENTS?

Posted By: Jon Canfield

I had some spare time at work today, so I played a little with that writing imprinted on the back of the Cobb card. To start off with, I changed the brightness and the contrast to brighten the background and dull out the stats and bibliographical writing on the back of the CJ. I then filtered out all colors to get a “raw negative” of the back, again to try to focus in on the lettering imprinted. Finally, I rendered the picture and got a reverse, or mirror image, of the writing – so now it reads correctly. Below is a picture of how the card looked having applied these steps…

Next, I began the task of trying to figure out what the letters imprinted on the Cobb were, and what they meant. Immediately I could make out the middle word as being “DE”. This clued me into the wording being in Spanish – go figure, I took Latin for 6 years! Looking at the first word, I was pretty confident the letters were “BRICA”. Now, the third word was the most troublesome… I could make out a faint A for the 2nd letter. I could also see that the last three letters were “ACO”. So, putting what I could see together, I had “BRICA DE _A_ACO”.

After playing around in my head what these words could possibly mean, I came to the realization that this imprint would have most likely read “FABRICA DE TABACO”, which, in Spanish, I believe translates into Manufacturer of Tobacco. So, after all is said and done, and after an hour of my time, I now realize that the writing is not a cigar brand, but rather just part of the label. Oh well, guess my idea of verifying the tobacco brand still doesn’t clue us in to the legitimacy of the card.

Old 07-11-2003, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Default COMMENTS?

Posted By: JC

Yes, you are probally correct. I'm still in the Re-print frenzy. Let me explain in a different light why I would not bid on the card.

1. Starting bid way to high. -
2. The "OLD" Granpa story. -
3. Corners are not consistant with condition -
4. Does not take credit cards. -
5. It is a normal auction (not private) +
6. Seller's Feedback is to low on this type card -
7. National's is in 2 weeks and there will be better
buys!!!!