NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-26-2006, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Default 8 games under .500 to 30 games over .500

Posted By: Bob

Wow! How about them Piranhas (Twins) who clinched a playoff spot tonight. Say what you will about these guys but they have continued to win and beat up on the AL East and West without their arguably best pitcher (Liriano) and third best pitcher (Radke). 3 rookies (Boof Bonser, Scott Baker and Matt Garza) pitching in their starting rotation and another two (Pat Neshek and Glen Perkins) in the pen. Who are these guys?

Old 09-26-2006, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brett

I think it all started with a 10 or 11 game winning streak. They really took advantage of the Tigers who have been going down the ****ter since the All Star break.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Sorry to take up board space when so many probably don't care but inasmuch as Sportscenter will show 90% New Orleans-Atlanta game and 10% Yankees and the wretched NL teams and may mention the Twins in passing, I wanted to do a little crowing here among friends....

Old 09-26-2006, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

As much as I hate to say it, my hat goes off to the Twinkies. Played great ball almost the entire season.
I just don't see them going far in the playoffs. Those injuries will catch up to them.

But a great season nonetheless. It would be nice to see someone other than the Yankees win.

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 09-26-2006, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

No time to rest. There are still two more regular season goodies--the division and home field.

They were saying on the broadcast tonight that from mid-May to the All Star break,the Twins were 30-15 and LOST 1/2 game in the standings to Detroit. Talk about perseverence!

Old 09-26-2006, 11:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

If I was Arte Moreno I would be screaming bloody murder with the Twinkies getting in and the Angels staying home.

On the season, the Twinkies are 16 games above .500 playing American League teams (14 games above .500 in interleague play). The Angels are 18 games above .500 against American League teams (unfortunately 4 games under 500 in interleague play). We all knew this would happen someday with teams playing different opponents in interleague play. The Angels interleague opponents are today 2 games below .500 while the Twinkies interleague opponents are 58 games below .500.

http://www.audiocomedy.net/soundboards/jacket.shtml>

Old 09-27-2006, 12:03 AM
Administrator

Yes but the Angels play in the AL West which is inferior to the AL Central this year. It really doesn't matter, the Twins beat whom they had to. They beat the Red Sox 5 out of 6 games and the White Sox 3 out of 4 and the Tigers 3 out of 4 down the stretch. The Angels don't deserve to be in the playoffs, as they are probably the 6th best team in the American League at best behind the Yankees, Tigers, Twins, A's, White Sox before they spit the bit.
Mark Twain said there were 3 kinds of lies: lies, damn lies and statistics.
The Twins earned it.
Here is what should have been on Sportscenter tonight:

Jim Souhan: A team worth celebrating
After a miserable spring, waves of injuries and four amazing months, the Twins and their fans have earned it.
Jim Souhan, Star Tribune

The Twins meandered, bleary-eyed, into their Metrodome clubhouse Monday afternoon, having returned from 11 days on the road. They strolled to their lockers to sort fan mail and ponder a question that four months ago seemed unimaginable.
"We're gonna celebrate when we get in, right?" Phil Nevin asked Justin Morneau.

"We've got to," Morneau said. "Don't we?"

For days, the Twins privately considered whether to pop champagne corks when they clinched at least a wild-card berth or whether to hold back in hopes of winning the division title.

Monday night, they beat the Royals 8-1 to qualify for the playoffs, and suddenly their mouths were too filled with bubbly to continue the debate.

Yes, the Twins celebrated like champions late Monday, and no matter what happens the rest of this season -- whether they hold a World Series parade down Chicago Avenue or fail to win another game before reporting to Fort Myers in February -- we should celebrate this team.

On June 7, the Twins were 25-33, and their April blueprint was drenched in White-Out.

From that day through this morning, they built the best record in baseball, 68-30, despite injuries to such key players as Shannon Stewart, Torii Hunter, Francisco Liriano, Brad Radke and Rondell White, despite replacing 60 percent of their starting rotation and the left side of their infield, despite relying on players with blank résumés and uncertain futures.

Monday night, they continued to elicit contributions from the infirm and the recently anonymous, and standing ovations from an enthusiastic crowd of 18,108.

Tattooed pitcher Boof Bonser, sent to the minors after a lousy start early in August, dominated the game and continued to turn his first name into a Metrodome rallying cry.

"Boof wins this one," bullpen coach Rick Stelmaszek said before the game, "and everyone has to get a tattoo."Yeah," the Canadian-born Morneau said, noting the ink on his shoulder. "Maple Leafs for everyone!"

Nick (Sparky) Punto, a former injury-prone utility infielder who became the everyday third baseman in mid-June, got three more line-drive hits and kept his uniform perpetually dirty.

Hunter, playing despite a stress fracture in his left foot, reached 30 homers for the first time in his career and launched himself into the baggie to make a catch.

St. Paul's Joe Mauer reached base four times to hold the lead in the American League batting race, and Brooklyn Park's Pat Neshek got three more outs with his homemade sidearm delivery.

Amid chants of "M-V-P," Morneau ended the Twins' last rally with a majestic eighth-inning home run.

And, as always, the boys ran the bases like they were double-parked.

After closer Joe Nathan recorded the last out by fielding a grounder and flipping the ball to Morneau at first, the players on the field began their usual celebratory rituals.

The outfielders met second baseman Luis Castillo for a procession of silly handshakes, and Nathan threw an arm around Morneau. When the bench and bullpen arrived, the party started.

Players hugged, then began leaping in unison. They slowly left the field, with Hunter pointing to the crowd and Morneau tipping his cap, and scaled the steps to the clubhouse.

The champagne was waiting. The players decided they didn't need to.

They soaked themselves, christening what might be the most remarkable four months in Twins history.

"It's really hard to describe what has happened here," Punto said.

Yes, it is. Somehow, the Twins of Jason Tyner, Dennys Reyes and Boof Bonser made it to the playoffs.

Everyone who loves baseball played with skill and passion -- everyone who loves a good story -- should have synchronized their cork popping with the Twins late Monday night.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

I don't like Interleague play but if it has to be done then I would change it. I would make it that the teams play each other in the order that they finish. IE, if the Yankees finish with the best record in the AL, then they should have to play the Mets, if the Mets finish with the best record in the NL. Conversely, the Royals and Devil Rays (I think they have the two worst records in the AL) would play the Pirates and Cubs (again, I think the Pirates and Cubs have the two worst records in the NL).

This way the fairness issue would even out a little.

David

Old 09-27-2006, 12:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

If the AL Central is superior, how come they are collectively 4 games BELOW .500 against AL East opponents and 3 games BELOW .500 against AL West opponents.

The AL WEST is collectively 3 games ABOVE .500 against the AL Central and 28 games ABOVE .500 against the AL East.

You missed my point. The AL West didn't have the weak NL Central (collectively 68 games below .500) to beat up on in interleague play and pad their record.

http://www.audiocomedy.net/soundboards/jacket.shtml

Old 09-27-2006, 01:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

All that matters is the fact that the Twins are in teh playoffs, hopefully with home field advantage. I still pinch myself every night the Twins win and try to figure out how they are winning with Johan & 4 other pitchers. After watching them all seeason I certainly would not count them out, there is no team that is a clear cut favorite, the yanks have alot of hitting but there starting is not what it use to be and not much bullpen after Rivera.

It should be fun and we get an at least an extra week of baseball. We may get Radke back on Thursday and the would be a big boost to the starters.

I was kind of hoping the Twins would lose so they could clinch tuesday when I am at the game, but a win is a win and hopefully go towards home field advantage.

Go Twins,

Lee

Lee

Old 09-27-2006, 03:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

FWIW, the Tigers went from 20 under .500 last year to 32 over this year. Currently tied for best record in the majors and have a winning 11-8 record against the Twinkies. Only one team in the play-offs that they have a losing record to (the dreaded Yankees) GO TIGERS

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski

Old 09-27-2006, 05:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

8 games down to 30 games up? That's pretty impressive. Heck, if it weren't for the Tigers, the Twins might be the best story in baseball this year! lol.

Can't wait for the post-season. Just can't wait. And not because of Detroit either - just because playoff baseball is by far - BY FAR - the best time of the year.

J

Old 09-27-2006, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MikeU

"FWIW, the Tigers went from 20 under .500 last year to 32 over this year. Currently tied for best record in the majors and have a winning 11-8 record against the Twinkies. Only one team in the play-offs that they have a losing record to (the dreaded Yankees) GO TIGERS"

The Twins are a great story this year, but the Tigers tale could be one for the ages. Not a single winning season since 1993 and two years removed from the 2nd worst season in major league history.

I apologize in advance for hijacking.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:56 AM
Administrator

The AL Central is the toughest division in baseball, in spite of what ESPN says.

If the Red Sox had done what the Twins have done, ESPN wouldn't be able to stop falling over themselves with a "Red Sox watch" or something close to it. But because the Twins reside in the Midwest, ESPN doesn't really consider it much of a team.

Go Go White Sox

Old 09-27-2006, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: walkscott

There was a nice article on the Twins comeback in the Sunday "Seattle Times". It's a great story that would only be better if they end up in the World Series....and lose to Houston.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Rey

I find the Morneau for MVP stuff a bit funny -- he's not even the most valuable player on his own team.

That Mauer kid is the man.

A catcher that hits about .350 with good pop (.502 SLG) and good plate discipline (.429 OBA) and gets behind the dish 135 times -- I'll take that guy any day over Morneau, who is essentially nothing more than a prototypical good first baseman.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:37 AM
Administrator

"I find the Morneau for MVP stuff a bit funny -- he's not even the most valuable player on his own team.

That Mauer kid is the man.

A catcher that hits about .350 with good pop (.502 SLG) and good plate discipline (.429 OBA) and gets behind the dish 135 times -- I'll take that guy any day over Morneau, who is essentially nothing more than a prototypical good first baseman."

Average means litte, chicks dig the long ball.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Rey

Yeah, I realize that most people who watch baseball don't really understand it -- looking at the track record of MVP voting over the past 90 years, MVP voters seem to be as afflicted with this problem as the general population.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Administrator

If Liriano hadn't been hurt, I would be betting on the Twins to go all the way. Imagine a 5 game series against the Yanks and the Yanks having to face Santana twice and Liriano. The Twins could theoretically go all the way without having anyone win besides Santana and Liriano in 5 and 7 game series' and that doesn't even factor in Boof Bonser who everyone ignores because of his strange first name. Bonser has been on fire lately and gives the boys a real 1-2 punch.
Cat, you mention the AL Central's overall record against the East and West of the AL but that takes in to account the Royals who laid down and died when they played both other divisions. Also, who knew that the NL Central would be weak this year? Last year they had both the Cards and the Stros on the playoffs, with the Cubs barking at their heels and the Pirates improving. The main reason for the NL Central's record be slightly worse than the NL West is that teams like the Twins (14-2), Tigers, Sox and Injuns totally annihilated the NL Central in interleague play. You take those 4 teams playing the NL East or NL West and their records would be far worse and the Cards and Stros would be back in the playoffs again. AL Central was undoubtedly, even with the Royals, the best division in baseball this year.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: sagard

It's a nice arguement about the Angel's, but the numbers don't support it.

From the Hardballtimes.com guys:

Finally, we make one other adjustment, for strength of schedule. Obviously, it's easier to win a lot when you have an easy schedule. So using ESPN's strength of schedule calculations, we subtract the number of extra wins a team is expected to get because of their schedule. For example, if a team has a .490 SOS, they are expected to win (.500 - .490)*162 = 1.62 more games than an average team, so we subtract 1.62 from their "Dartboard Factor."

Using the Twins and Angels Strength of Schedule numbers: 0.507 vs. 0.511 we have:

(Angels =0.511 - Twins=0.507) * 162 = 0.65 Wins. Basically due to scheduling the Twins would expect to win one additional game than the Angels. That would cut the Twins eight game lead down to seven, and they still clinch the Wild Card last night.

Congrats to the Twins!

Old 09-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ricky Y

Bleah..this opens old wounds...AJ Pierszynski to the Giants for Boof Bonser, Joe Nathan AND Francisco Liariano.. that one is going to be hard to swallow for us fans of the El Giagantes for a long time...

The Twins have an excellent scounting dept and minor league system. Great young players always seem to come up. Would have been interesting if David Ortiz stayed there...

Old 09-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Administrator

With Liriano and Bonser added to your pitching staff and Nathan closing things out (and yes he is better than Rivera, at least this year), the Giants would be the best team in the National League. I don't know who you ended up getting for Pierzynski, didn't he leave at the end of the season for free agency????

Old 09-27-2006, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

1st off what a great run by the twins! josh has it correct if boston had the same run len verman (the boomer) would be crawling up the big papi's ass (as if he isn't anyway) and all we'd hear about is the confrontation with the yankees. too bad they can only draw 18,108 at the metrodome to watch them clinch...pretty sad. but the place should be rockin' come playoff time!!

Old 09-27-2006, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I'm intrigued that these Twins have 2 catchers hitting .348

will Mauer be platooned in the post-season? or is Gardenhire "resting-up" the young Mauer for his Batting Crown?

Old 09-27-2006, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Mattison

It's been a remarkable run. Now if they can catch the Tigers. A couple guys that need some kudos:

Michael Cuddyer - He's quitely solidified the clean up spot between Mauer and Morneau, driving in over 100 runs.

Matt Garza - He had a bad debut, but has settled down and pitched well in a pennant race for a guy that started the season in Class A ball.

Pat Neshek - He's been lights out in relief.

If you want a great behind the scenes look at being a ball player coming up through the minors, Pat Neshek's site is very good. If you scroll down you can read about when he got the call to bigs.

http://eteamz.active.com/PatNeshek/index.cfm?

Old 09-27-2006, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Bob,

El Gigantes got zip, nada, zero.. AJ was let go after one year...and ofcourse he helps the WhiteSox win it all...bleah.

I saw Liriano in the minors..he had great stuff but was always injured. I think that's why they gave him up. As for Nathan no one thought he'd be this good. He kind of melted in the playoffs against the Mariners and Felipe Alou lost confidence in him after that. I'd trade him for Armando Benitez though..LOL any takers? :-P

Old 09-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: S. Gross

Nothing against the Twins (really), but I'd like things to stay as is in AL. A good old Detroit/Oakland series would be great. They could have Lerrin LaGrow throw out the first pitch and Bert Campaneris throw out the first bat ....

Also just realized that if both St. Louis and Houston loss the last 5 game of there seasons, StL will be in playoffs (and possible WS winner) with a sub 500 average.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

come on guys, who are you kidding...WS will be NYM & NYY...i'll have box seats at shea for the games...

Old 09-28-2006, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I just bought the book Throwing Bullets, the story about 2 Twins farmhands who were trying to make the Big Club. One is a guy named Liriano. Can't wait to read it after finishing When Chicago Ruled Baseball (1906) and When Boston Won the World Series (pre-2004).

Old 10-02-2006, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Someone has got to resurrect this thread...

Holy cow! oops, wrong announcer but you get the idea... How many teams go 161 games to lead the division only to give it up on the the last day to the Twinkies...

Ok, lets restate that one - how many teams wait until the last day of the season to take the lead and win the division? Wow!!!

The Tigers are still in the post season but wow, what a way to end the season - losing to a team with the worst record in MLB in extra innings. After today's game the Royals now only have the second worst record.

Old 10-02-2006, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

That was a hideous spectacle. I hope the Tigers at least make it into next weekend! I have a Tigers flag. Every spring on Opening Day I put it on the flag pole and raise it up there, and every fall on the day of the last game they play I take it down.

I was really hoping to keep it up there for a few more weeks this year.

Joann

Old 10-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I was thinking the same thing. The only day the Tigers weren't in first place was the only day it counted. Did Joe Mauer win the batting title?

Old 10-02-2006, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

It looks as if Mauer won (finishing his season as a DH and batting .347 to Jeter's .343).

Old 10-02-2006, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

He did win it, .347 to Jeter's .343. Oh, you just said that. Sorry.

Old 10-02-2006, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I think the Yankees caught a break by not having to face Minnesota in the first round. No other team can really play with them this year (especially with the Mets' pitching troubles).

Old 10-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Administrator

"Holy cow! oops, wrong announcer but you get the idea... How many teams go 161 games to lead the division only to give it up on the the last day to the Twinkies.."

This thread is too off topic and needs to be locked immediately.

Old 10-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Administrator

I believe that Leon has already addressed this issue. This thread was started before the moderator dude indicated that these OT threads should thin out a bit. Besides, this is kind of a celebratory thread for the Twinkie fans.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Joe Mauer became the first AL catcher in 103 years (ever)to win the batting title.
The Twins' run matches the Miracle Braves run of 1914. There that's some pre-war thrown in to make leon happy

Old 10-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Ugh!!
Lets give the Twinkies their due. They played great ball.
Now lets hope the Yanks falter without the Big Unit.

Go Go White Sox

Old 10-03-2006, 12:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Yet another fairy tale finish, hopefully it will end with the World Series victory!!!!!! I will be at Tuesday's game Johan vs. Zito. At this point and time I have an extra ticket, if anyone email me.

lee

Old 10-03-2006, 03:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: craig

joann, i do the same thing year after year, put up my tigers banner on opening day take it down at the last game. i also do it with my lions banner, they sure are stinkin it up. the think that ive been bumming about all season is that this is the 1st year in the last 15 that i didnt place a $20 bet on the tiger to win the ws. granted i still rather see them win the ws this year even without my greedy little bet. please tigers give me a well waited for and deserved championship

Old 10-03-2006, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

Any Tiger fans want to place a friendly wager on the Yankee-Tiger series. Please email me at oldjudge@gmail.com

GO YANKEES!

Old 10-03-2006, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Go Twins - I have to pull for the Yank-me's, simply because it's always better to have to go through New York to reach the World Series. Just as the Astros fans would have preferred a Yankees/Astros series last year rather than the White Sox, I think the Twins fans should prefer a Twins/Yankees ALCS. JMO (plus $1.95 gets you coffee)

Old 10-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Campbell

I will be near behind home plate....regardless of who folks cheered for, everyone must admit, it was an amazing year for the Twins !!! The Red Sox. or the White Sox, should be so lucky. Go Twins !!

Old 10-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Just wishing it would be Santana-Liriano in games 1 and 2 for the Twins and coming back with Santana in game 5 if needed. The Yankees would be worried. As it is, the Bronx Bombers have too much firepower for the Liriano-less Twins. The Tigers are the wild card in more ways than one. If their pitching comes back, they have the firepower to give the Yankees fits. Still, the yanks have to be favored although a Subway Series makes my stomach turn.
Can you imagine the media guys jumping out windows if it is the Twins and Padres in the WS?

Old 10-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Administrator

That first game "hurt big" time... What's that washed up DHs name??? It's only one game. .

Old 10-04-2006, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Big Hurt laid on the Big Hurt. Last team to beat Santana at home I believe was also the A's. Great win against a tough team in a really tough place to play for visitors.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I was at the game with Lee and 2 other guys. When Thomas came up the second time I said that he should throw a purpose pitch with the first toss. Instead, Thomas almost homered again The Twins looked stiff at times in the field and they swung at way too many first pitchers against the pitcher that lead the AL in walks.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Perhaps if Gardenhire hadn't managed with his head up his ass the Twins could have won. Brilliant putting Phil "Whiff" Nevin at DH, the guy can't hit his hat size. Pitiful all year since the Twins "acquired" him. Bartlett on 2nd with 0 outs and down one run, you let Castillo bunt him over and Joe Mauer knocks him in with a grounder to the right side or a sac fly. Not good old Gardy, he let's him swing away. I won't even mention Castillo trying to steal second with 0 outs in the first and Zito struggling or bringing in Jesse "Gopher Ball" Crain instead of Neshek to face Thomas in the 9th. All in all a real cluster you know what. Let's hope Boof is on tomorrow and Nevin thinks the game is in St. Paul.

Old 10-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

DEREK JETER!!!!!!!!!!!!