NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-08-2003, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Default Is this Napoleon Lajoie?

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

Old 11-08-2003, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

This is a cropped picture from a scan of an 1894-96 cabinet photo I have of the New England League Fall River Indians team. The date for the photo should be accurate as Fred Klobedanz is also pictured and he was only with the team these three years. Klobedanz is featured in SABR's 19th century stars book. Lajoie played for Fall River in 1895 and this is one of only two men in the photo that I have been unable to ID. The other looks absolutely nothing like Lajoie, however I wanted to get some opinions from the board on this guy. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Regards,
Adam

Old 11-09-2003, 01:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

My opinion NO he doesnt look like Lajoie. It looks more like a cross between Mathewson and Waddell. Frank

Old 11-09-2003, 05:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: halleygator

I also vote "NO".

Lajoie had dark prominent eyebrows, and this guy does not.

Old 11-09-2003, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

Would have been great if it was Lajoie

Old 11-09-2003, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Please send a scan - thanks!

Old 11-10-2003, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dona cauchon

I've checked the pic against my 1913 National Game "Lajoie" and I would vote that the pic is indeed Lajoie. His eyebrows in 1913 don't look heavy in my pic, even many years later.

Old 11-10-2003, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Lots of times features are blurred or not dark enough in old photos, and when it involves the eyes/eyebrows it can really make a person look different.

Cover up the eyes only and then see if the picture would look like the person in question if you added the eyes (as you know them to look).

Old 11-10-2003, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

Below is a picture of Napoleon Lajoie 1915-16

I do not beleive the other picture is of Lajoie.

Old 11-10-2003, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian p

Notice how the eyebrows on the easily identifiable Lajoie are curved at the ends down to the sides of his eyes--very distinctive. The player's eyebrows pictured from the team photo keep in a straight line and seem to fade away. And Lajoie had a very sharp, distinctive face--I am guessing that one could easily spot it in a crowd. If a photo doesn't just jump out and grab you as Nap, in my opinion it ain't going to be him.

Brian

Old 11-11-2003, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

I see a lot of similarites in the photos, the porportion of the face, the mouth, the hair cowlick, the eyebrows do look different, but the pictures are 20 years apart and the older one is much sharper. Could be Lajoie. Would be nice to see whole photo.

Old 11-11-2003, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I am not sure but if you look at the top pic and look squarely between his eyes at the top of his nose you will see the way his skin wrinkles a little, like he's squinting.......if you were to "pronounce" that for 20 years there would be large wrinkles on the bottom Lajoie, between his eyes.....and there are not.....it's sort of like a young smoker and an old one.....wrinkles get worse over time. SO, unless the bottom pic of Lajoie is when he had a face lift I don't think it is him....again, compare those 3 little wrinkles.....just a thought....later

Old 11-11-2003, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam Baxter

..for the great responses. I had a strong feeling that Lajoie was nowhere to be found in this photo. I couldn't ID two players, so I figured I give it a shot. So I'm up a Klobedanz and down a Lajoie! :)Lajoie was only with Fall River a short time in 1895 and I don't think he was even still with the team when they won the New England League championship at the end of the season. Still a great photo anyway and a real find INMHO as 19th century New England League items tend to be fairly scarce.

Regards,
Adam