NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 11-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Autograph collecting 49 years ago.....

I have posted some of these old hobby pubs on the card side so here is one for you autograph guys....enjoy....(I think the Nick Stout autograph is probably real )

Old 11-11-2013, 09:28 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I have posted some of these old hobby pubs on the card side so here is one for you autograph guys....enjoy....(I think the Nick Stout autograph is probably real )

Thanks for sharing Leon! especially liked the "guaranteed to be authentic"... even 49 years ago there were worries of authenticity.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:23 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I would like to put in an order with Mr Stout. I'll take one of each of the ones he has for sale. Heck, I'll take all the copies he has of the guys in the 40c grouping, and being the nice guy that I am, I'll even given him $1 each.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 11-11-2013, 10:59 AM
Michael

Default old autos

I paid $35 for a Ruth cut and another $35 for a cut of Jim Corbett and John L Sullivan signed the day of the fight. It was 1966 but it sounds like I got ripped off. If I had only kept them.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:11 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Very interesting, Leon - thanks for continuing to post these old publication articles.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:30 AM
J@son.K

Great reminder of a time in the hobby long gone (and rarely remembered). Great prices on autographs too! In fact, as recently as the early '80s, I remember R.J. "Jack" Smalling used to sell his signatures dirt cheap too: Joe Dimaggio for $0.35; Sam Crawford for a few bucks. I remember ordering a few DiMaggio's from him and one was real and one was DiMaggio's sister's secretarial signature. But what was I going to do? Complain over 35 cents?
Old 11-13-2013, 06:16 AM

Default JimStinson

Thanks for posting that , Was a lot of fun to read ! Amazing how collecting autographs evolved. Especially sports autographs.

The hobby itself has been around for a long time but the "main" field of collecting was always Presidents, Historical figures etc. it was (kind of) a high brow hobby...., with the most often forged signatures being those of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln

When collectors branched out into sports the historical collectors wanted nothing to do with it. So it became like a hobby outside of a hobby. The really funny part was when the Vintage Hollywood collectors mingled with the sports collectors , I can remember being told "Those guys are WEIRD" !!! Seems funny today.

Now the most often forged signatures are Babe Ruth & Lou Gehrig and a Christy Mathewson will set you back at least double the $$$ of George & Abe.

There are still quite a few guys still collecting from those days Jack Smalling. , Doug Averitt., Dick Patman., Mort S., Jeff Morey., and a fellow who's an active and extremely knowledgeable member of this forum who's name I won't mention as I don't want him to feel old (Tom). And several more that came in shortly after.

Honorable mention to those that were there but have left us like Ted Elmo, George Sanders, Bill Van Buskirk, Dick Dobbins, Bill Zekus, Ralph Winnie, Johnny Bos, Jim MacAlister, and more

This may sound crazy today but when the Baseball card shows started booming if you were one of the few autograph dealers set up at the show , usually the ONLY autograph dealer set up at the show and someone came in with an autograph collection to sell, the card dealers would actually take them by the arm and bring them to your table. Things were pretty civil..

At one of the last Nationals I did which was a LONG time ago , I saw a guy almost get ripped to pieces that walked in with a collection.

Thanks for the memories !

STILL selling Vintage autographs on my web site
stinsonsports.com
Old 11-13-2013, 09:08 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Jim,

I didn't know that Johnny Bos had passed away. I bought a Lefty Grove Hall of Fame plaque from him back in 2007 on ebay, when I was a newbie with vintage autograph collecting. I still have the email reply he sent me explaining who he was and he even used your name as a reference. He said he had just sold you most of his collection and gave me his phone number to discuss. I wish I had purchased more from him, as he stuff wasn't selling for very much!!
Old 11-13-2013, 01:35 PM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Jim,

I didn't know that Johnny Bos had passed away. I bought a Lefty Grove Hall of Fame plaque from him back in 2007 on ebay, when I was a newbie with vintage autograph collecting. I still have the email reply he sent me explaining who he was and he even used your name as a reference. He said he had just sold you most of his collection and gave me his phone number to discuss. I wish I had purchased more from him, as he stuff wasn't selling for very much!!
Bos was a dear friend who I'd known for most of my life , Here is his obit from the NY Daily News

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/mo...icle-1.1342254

Was famous in his own right for his contributions to boxing , The greatest matchmaker in history !!! When he was inducted into the Florida Boxing Hall of Fame , my wife and I sat with him at his table for the awards banquet. I miss him.

We used to talk on the phone for hours , would always end his conversations with an abrupt........SEE YA !!!! and hang up.

Vintage autographs on my web site
stinsonsports.com
Old 11-13-2013, 01:52 PM
J Stone

Having been out of the hobby on an active basis from the late 1980s I was unaware that Ted Elmo and Jim McAlister had passed away. Both were frequent trading partners. Both great guys from the "old school".

Damn, I'm starting to feel very old….
Old 03-12-2022, 05:16 PM

Default Old collectors

Just stumbled upon this thread and saw all the old names. My collecting buddies (really pen pals) in the 70s were Wiliam Van Buskirk, Jim McCallister, Bill Zekus, and Brian Castleman. Later Ron Gordon and Jim Beckett when I moved to Texas. Good to see the old names.
Old 03-15-2022, 09:23 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I love when these threads come back to life. They are fun to re-read after all these years.
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 03-15-2022, 09:35 AM
Bill H@e1ig

40 cents for a Bob Feller 3x5 is still about the going rate
Old 03-16-2022, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post