NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-01-2017, 07:19 AM
J.O.N

Default Making trades advice

I have a good friend that also collects. After many sessions of back and forth we finally pulled off a deal after a couple beverages one night. I was excited for the deal and I felt it was equitable. It was a significant trade. Mantles and Clemente rookies and prewar etc. A week later my friend explains he regrets the trade. I'm torn on this one. He would like additional items to make him feel whole or he would just give me some of the cards and we would return the rest. I don't want to jeopardize the friendship nor do I want to unincorporated the many cards I received.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:23 AM
D.an Jackso.n

Depends on the level of the friendship. If it means a lot to you I would return everything and nix the trade.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:25 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcardsfan View Post
Depends on the level of the friendship. If it means a lot to you I would return everything and nix the trade.
right.....its like lending money to a friend...be prepared to lose the money or the friend and you wont be disappointed..... its just cards..go a return them and let him give you whatever he wants....just dont trade with him again
Old 08-01-2017, 07:29 AM

Everybody is right. Don't lose a friendship over baseball cards
Old 08-01-2017, 07:31 AM
Steven

On one side if the friendship is important to you then things will have to be "fixed", cards just aren't worth people that will be there for you.

On the other side though its not really cool to make trades and then want to undue them unless that was a condition prior. This friend shouldn't take advantage of the friendship and at the least I would probably be done trading with him.

Tough call, its all about priorities.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:07 AM
Bob Donaldson

I had this happen once, although not with a close friend. We both returned cards from the trade. Its probably the best thing to do, especially with a close friend. And in the future probably best that you don't trade again with this friend, don't need to make a big deal about it, but if he brings up trading in the future just say "nah not really into trading right now"
Old 08-01-2017, 08:19 AM
Banned

if he's a "friend" and not just a "hobby friend," probably best to undo the deal.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:20 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Beverages are the key to inequitable trades.

A college degree shouldn't be required to know this.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:26 AM
H Murphy

Default Trade

Hello Jon, as you mentioned tough call, but under the circumstances I`m nixing the trade and maintaining the friendship. Best of luck.............
Old 08-01-2017, 08:30 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Agreed. You have to undo the trade...bad juju otherwise.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:31 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfowler6 View Post
After many sessions of back and forth we finally pulled off a deal after a couple beverages one night.
Do you mean alcoholic beverages? If so, then I'm not surprised this happened. He was probably more buzzed than you were and wasn't thinking straight.

Drinking and trading don't mix.

Last edited by samosa4u; 08-01-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:33 AM
John Hanssen

I wouldn't adjust the trade or change it. Either trade stands or cancel it as a whole give back everything on both sidesand each side loses nothing. But to ask for more or part of a dealing - that's just not right in my book.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:28 AM
Ken McMillan

Find out what he wants to make the trade fair in his opinion and adjust or if you can't come to an aggreement, nix the whole trade. Not worth losing a friendship and explain that to him.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:14 AM
Paul

If this friend has doubts about getting fair return for the cards he has traded to you , I would simply return the cards and nix the trade..It's not worth keeping the cards and living with the loss of a friend..
Old 08-01-2017, 10:18 AM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default trade

I say undo it

I always tell guys Im trading with... trade is never complete until both sides have cards in hand and are completely happy
Old 08-01-2017, 10:34 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfowler6 View Post
I have a good friend . . .

. . . . explains he regrets the trade. I'm torn on this one. He would like additional items to make him feel whole or . . . .

Any thoughts?

Since you asked for thoughts . . .

Over the years I've come to learn that the term "good friend" has a wide range of meanings to a wide range of people, often far from what I think a "good friend" is.

Seriously, if you made a deal with a "good friend" and a week later he says that deal wasn't good enough, then he probably isn't as good of a friend as you thought.

In my world, a man is only as good as his word. If you agree to terms of a deal, and conduct the deal, then it's done. That's it. Nothing more to discuss.

You're concerned about what to do out of friendship.

Is your "good friend" as concerned about the friendship as you? My guess is no, or you likely wouldn't be here asking about what to do because he wouldn't have said anything.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:01 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
Since you asked for thoughts . . .

Over the years I've come to learn that the term "good friend" has a wide range of meanings to a wide range of people, often far from what I think a "good friend" is.

Seriously, if you made a deal with a "good friend" and a week later he says that deal wasn't good enough, then he probably isn't as good of a friend as you thought.

In my world, a man is only as good as his word. If you agree to terms of a deal, and conduct the deal, then it's done. That's it. Nothing more to discuss.

You're concerned about what to do out of friendship.

Is your "good friend" as concerned about the friendship as you? My guess is no, or you likely wouldn't be here asking about what to do because he wouldn't have said anything.
I agree completely. Unless the trade really was one sided and he was too drunk to notice, it sounds like this guy isn't such a good friend after all. I don't get why he's asking for more cards, or just some back. I would either cancel the whole deal, or keep it as is, depending on what you want from this friendship in the future. I have a feeling this will sour the relationship no matter what you decide.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:10 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I'd like to know exactly what the trade was. Maybe you can cut the trade down and make it smaller.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
"Beverages are the key to inequitable trades."

Frank... But isn't THiS Where most Learn THiS Tactic?

Howevar, I guess one could learn THiS Tactic
w/o ObtainiN the Sheep Skin!?
Old 08-01-2017, 01:21 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Beverages are the key to inequitable trades.

As soon as I saw 'beverages' I thought "uh-oh."

Undo the trade, it's not worth it.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:40 PM
Brendan Mullen

Hilarious Frank!
Old 08-01-2017, 01:58 PM
J.O.N

Never thought about it like Beer goggles.

I wouldn't have asked a friend to go back on a deal like that but I should consider his ideas.

FYI the deal-

Large majority on the 1953 Bowman set range from poor to VG. around 700 commons from 1933 to 1967 and about 10 beater cards from around 1909 all pirates. Best 1 was a camnitz graded a 3. No HOFers.

The other side were 4 decent Mantles. VG to Ex in condition. 1958, and newer. A PSA 1 1955 clemente looks better and centered. T206 Vic Willis portrait. 1961 ex+ clemente. Honus Wagner sporting life supplement. 1960 Koufax I think. And a couple more HOF. Mays and Aaron don't recall the years. And a beat up tip top bread Forbes field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.