NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Default Purchasing autos on other baseballs

I know this has been discussed ad naseum, but I always see baseballs that aren't ROMLB balls (like China balls) with PSA or JSA and they sell for way cheaper, and I know why. But maybe a more experienced collector and shine some insight on how important the type of baseball is.

I love open discussions

Last edited by isaac2004; 10-11-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:52 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
I know this has been discussed ad naseum, but I always see baseballs that are ROMLB balls with PSA or JSA and they sell for way cheaper, and I know why. But maybe a more experienced collector and shine some insight on how important the type of baseball is.

I love open discussions
I don't follow. Are you saying official MLB balls sell cheaper than off brand?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender07 View Post
I don't follow. Are you saying official MLB balls sell cheaper than off brand?
I mistyped in the post, I corrected myself above, but I meant aren't not are
Old 10-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

It is because the 'porcelain' baseballs don't hold the autograph over time. They tend to bleed, and form a shadow around the signature. With leather baseball, whether or not they are ROML balls, the signature sticks to the surface a lot better.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:33 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
I mistyped in the post, I corrected myself above, but I meant aren't not are
Not sure if there's much to discuss here. The off brand, non leather are cheap and the autograph looks terrible on them. The ROMLB typically look great. Case closed!
Old 10-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Steve Zarelli

I agree that signatures on the synthetic covers is a bad idea and they sell for a deep discount.

That said, I will share some of my experience to the contrary.

Back before I knew better, I got a bunch of signatures on Rawlings Official League baseballs with a synthetic cover. Twenty years later most of them bled and the signatures look horrible. I have feathered rookie Jeters I can use for tossing in the yard.

BUT, for whatever reason, some of them held the signature perfectly with no bleeding and the balls are still snow white. They look and display great. I guess it depends on how the ink from certain pens interacts with the synthetic cover.