NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-15-2012, 08:40 PM

Default Eddie Plank Letter

I was about to submit my letter to psa until i found out it was 250$. Please let me know if you think its worth while to get this letter authenticated. It was purchased at an auction.

Thanks for your help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0307.jpg (72.7 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0308.jpg (85.0 KB, 369 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0309.jpg (78.0 KB, 368 views)
Old 10-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Jeff P0tter

Disclaimer that I have never really studied Planks signature, but what really jumps out at me from a handwriting perspective is how much darker and the pressure applied to both the signature and date, and conveniently the L in Plank fits just under the closing and looks slowly drawn on the top part of the loop.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

Not authentic.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:47 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

No good. Probably at one time came from the Roaches.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:01 AM
Richard Simon

To the original poster - what auction did you purchase it from? How much did you pay? Your answers to those questions might tell all of us the answer to your original question.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 10-16-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:36 PM

Ya I was pretty sure it was a fake. I bought this at an online auction on proxibid. At the time I researched the authenticator and he seemed legit. I was about to submit to psa and I said hey let me type justin priddy in google one more time and obviously this forum and a couple of others have done a great job of ruining this guys reputation Hopefully all the negative publicity on these scammers will put them out of business and put them in jail. I didnt lose much and I plan on bitching to proxibid and the auction house.

Thanks for the help guys. I have more autos I purchased from proxibid id love to get a second opinion on. Funny that I feel safer with the unauthenticated pieces then i did with the authencated

Last edited by lechaim18; 10-16-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Glad you didn't waste any of your time and money submitting the item. Welcome to the board, we have a lot of members here with a great amount of knowledge, enjoy!
Old 10-16-2012, 02:57 PM

Default JimStinson

For the record you can expect to pay between $25,000 and $45,000 for an authentic Plank ALS. Maybe more depending on content
Old 10-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Christopher Williams

Definitely looks like crap that would come from Coach's Corner.

Who is the issuer of COA?

Chris Morales, Drew Max, Frangipani or Ted Taylor (TTA/Stat Authentic)?
Old 10-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Definitely looks like crap that would come from Coach's Corner.

Who is the issuer of COA?

Chris Morales, Drew Max, Frangipani or Ted Taylor (TTA/Stat Authentic)?
He stated it was Justin Priddy
Old 10-16-2012, 05:46 PM
Banned

after seeing many other people first comment on this piece, i too would like to say it is a piece of carp.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
after seeing many other people first comment on this piece, i too would like to say it is a piece of carp.
common-carp.jpg
Old 10-16-2012, 09:58 PM
Richard Simon

I hate to see anyone in this hobby get taken advantage of but why would you buy this letter?
A Plank letter should go for $25,000++ and you bought it for not much money. Didn't that set off an alarm for you?
Use that Yiddish brain next time .
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 10-16-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:49 PM

In reality I rarely bid on sports autographs and thought it was possible that eddie plank got overlooked compared to other more recognizable names in the auction. I do remeber doing brief research on ace certification and seemed legit and was a 175 $ shot in the dark to get 15-25k so i went with it. Now i know better methods ofgetting auction material verified before purchase. SOhopefullyi learned my lesson.

Thanks again all
Old 10-17-2012, 07:00 AM
Steve Zarelli

Justin Priddy strikes once again. I can't believe this guy has the stones to set up shop at card shows and show his face in public.

Last edited by Mr. Zipper; 10-17-2012 at 08:46 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-17-2012, 08:08 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
I hate to see anyone in this hobby get taken advantage of but why would you buy this letter?
A Plank letter should go for $25,000++ and you bought it for not much money. Didn't that set off an alarm for you?
Use that Yiddish brain next time .
In this particular case, the buyer was not taken advantage of, but in fact, the opposite occurred.

The buyer was hoping to take advantage of the possibility that no one was watching that listing and was looking to buy it cheap and flip it.

No sympathy for the buyer here.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:12 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
In this particular case, the buyer was not taken advantage of, but in fact, the opposite occurred.

The buyer was hoping to take advantage of the possibility that no one was watching that listing and was looking to buy it cheap and flip it.

No sympathy for the buyer here.
The buyer placed a bid on an item that Justin Priddy said was authentic. Sorry Chris, but the buyer was taken advantage of.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 10-17-2012, 08:17 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
The buyer placed a bid on an item that Justin Priddy said was authentic. Sorry Chris, but the buyer was taken advantage of.

$175.00 for a Eddie Plank signed letter and the buyer was taken advantage of?

Strongly disagree.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:23 AM

Default JimStinson

I bought a lottery ticket for $1.00 , the sign in front of the store said the jackpot was 10 Million dollars the next day the numbers didn;t match my ticket ...I feel I was taken advantage of
Old 10-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

I agree with Chris. In fact the buyer admits that he was hoping "it slipped through the cracks".

This is why there is so much fraud in the autograph industry. The roaches and others will continue to pump this stuff out as long as there are people buying it. There are far too many collectors or dealers trying to make a quick buck or find a steal.

The person or collector that suffers from these fakes are the ones that have no little or no experience and are truly purchasing an autograph for their collection. This is not an excuse for not doing your homework, but I would guess that the majority of collectors don't have (or want to have) the kind of knowledge that our members have.

Just my 2¢.

Jeff

Last edited by ibuysportsephemera; 10-17-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-17-2012, 08:27 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

All I am saying is this, It doesn't matter the $$ amount. If you purchase something that you believe to be authentic and it turns out to be fake, you are being taken advantage of. I understand that the buyer should have been aware and did his own research and yadda yadda yadda...I get that...I totally understand that, but take $$ out of the equation and the buyer was taken advantage of.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

Old 10-17-2012, 08:54 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
All I am saying is this, It doesn't matter the $$ amount. If you purchase something that you believe to be authentic and it turns out to be fake, you are being taken advantage of. I understand that the buyer should have been aware and did his own research and yadda yadda yadda...I get that...I totally understand that, but take $$ out of the equation and the buyer was taken advantage of.
Ah, the dollar amount is part of the equation and always will be.

Look at thousands of buyers who purchased Mantle, Williams and DiMaggio forgeries.

Why did they purchase those forgeries for between $10.00 and $50.00? Because they thought they could flip them on Ebay for between 10-20 times their purchase price. And 99% of that crap was removed before it sold.

Absolutely no sympathy for those buyers and the OP of this thread.

Jeff wrote "In fact the buyer admits that he was hoping "it slipped through the cracks".

Excellent post, Jeff.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:34 AM

Default JimStinson

At least the last name is spelled correctly.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Quote:
Ah, the dollar amount is part of the equation and always will be.

Look at thousands of buyers who purchased Mantle, Williams and DiMaggio forgeries.

Why did they purchase those forgeries for between $10.00 and $50.00? Because they thought they could flip them on Ebay for between 10-20 times their purchase price. And 99% of that crap was removed before it sold.

Absolutely no sympathy for those buyers and the OP of this thread.

Jeff wrote "In fact the buyer admits that he was hoping "it slipped through the cracks".

Excellent post, Jeff.
If you read the dude's last post, I didn't get the impression that he was looking for sympathy. He said it was a shot in the dark and basically that it was a lesson learned.

Not sure where your vitriol toward the OP is coming from.

I think its annoying that people create forgeries. It is unfortunate that we all can't be autograph experts, indeed.

But the fact is some jackass sat there and wrote out a fake Plank letter, got it authenticated and someone else bought it. The person that bought it got hosed. There's really no other way to consider this, as far as I can tell.

Christian Augustus
Old 10-17-2012, 12:26 PM
qu@n nguy3n

the buyer knew what he was getting (a $175 shot in the dark at 20-25k item) so he didn't get hosed or ripped off...the sucky part is the plank turned out to be exactly what he'd thought.

same thing with scavengers going to flea markets and gambling $50 on a painting thinking it could be some expensive artwork. once in a blue moon it works out most of the time it's money flushed away.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:04 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lechaim18 View Post
Ya I was pretty sure it was a fake. I bought this at an online auction on proxibid. At the time I researched the authenticator and he seemed legit. I was about to submit to psa and I said hey let me type justin priddy in google one more time and obviously this forum and a couple of others have done a great job of ruining this guys reputation Hopefully all the negative publicity on these scammers will put them out of business and put them in jail. I didnt lose much and I plan on bitching to proxibid and the auction house.

Thanks for the help guys. I have more autos I purchased from proxibid id love to get a second opinion on. Funny that I feel safer with the unauthenticated pieces then i did with the authencated
Rather than berate you for a mistake already made, I'd like to encourage you to report back on the results of your complaints to proxibid and the auction house (by the way, which auction house, as there are many that use proxibid as a platform). The more specifics you can give, the better the odds of this thread popping up in the next unsuspecting bidder's casual google search, which may help keep others from repeating your mistake. It's also fun for us bystanders to hear how the auction house (typically) tries to squirm out of any responsibility or stretch a loophole big enough to escape through
Old 10-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
the buyer knew what he was getting (a $175 shot in the dark at 20-25k item) so he didn't get hosed or ripped off...the sucky part is the plank turned out to be exactly what he'd thought.

same thing with scavengers going to flea markets and gambling $50 on a painting thinking it could be some expensive artwork. once in a blue moon it works out most of the time it's money flushed away.
Listen, the buyer was lied to and presumably he can't recoup his money, so he absolutely did get hosed AND ripped off.

Blaming the victim sucks.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:44 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan-budman View Post
Listen, the buyer was lied to and presumably he can't recoup his money, so he absolutely did get hosed AND ripped off.

+1

Old 10-17-2012, 02:59 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Admit it, everyone still looks for a good deal or one that slipped through. Otherwise why do folks still look at Coaches Corner each month? Every once in a while a real items gets slipped in there! I collect McGwire stuff (obviously) and I have grabbed a few nice pieces from Coaches Corner. Admittedly for every real one I've seen on there I have seen 99 fakes so you wade through the crap. But if you are familiar with a signature you can find a real one in a strange place occasionally.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:30 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:

No one is blaming the victim, but when you admit that you weren't sure if it was real going in, you did not get hosed and ripped off! You took a shot and made a mistake.

I don't know how anyone could think that a 25k autograph could be had for $175 on line (no offense to the OP). If the auction house was legitimate they would never let an authentic autograph go for that price or even 10x that price. There is a big difference between trying to get a great deal and a deal that is improbable.

Jeff
Old 10-17-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
Admit it, everyone still looks for a good deal or one that slipped through. Otherwise why do folks still look at Coaches Corner each month? Every once in a while a real items gets slipped in there! I collect McGwire stuff (obviously) and I have grabbed a few nice pieces from Coaches Corner. Admittedly for every real one I've seen on there I have seen 99 fakes so you wade through the crap. But if you are familiar with a signature you can find a real one in a strange place occasionally.
To each his own, but I wouldn't give them any of my money, no matter what kind of deal I got or how much I may want something.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:15 PM
qu@n nguy3n

funny the word "victim" is being thrown around here, yet the OP never claimed to be one or getting ripped off. from my pov he knew the situation going in, took a shot and it didn't work out.

my grandma buying that signature, she would be a victim. the drunk tourist buying a coaches corner mantle at the bellagio, that's a victim. there's a difference. an autograph dealer who doesn't specialize in cards goes to a a widow's house and buy a t206 wagner for 5k. if the card is fake he's a "victim"? who's the victim if the card is real?

Last edited by chaddurbin; 10-17-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:50 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
No one is blaming the victim, but when you admit that you weren't sure if it was real going in, you did not get hosed and ripped off! You took a shot and made a mistake.

I don't know how anyone could think that a 25k autograph could be had for $175 on line (no offense to the OP). If the auction house was legitimate they would never let an authentic autograph go for that price or even 10x that price. There is a big difference between trying to get a great deal and a deal that is improbable.

Jeff
He didnt say that he didnt know it was real going in. He said that he did research on the authenticator and it "seemed legitimate".

We all know now in hindsight that Justin Priddy is NOT legitimate, but that wasn't uncovered by OP.

I see folks all the time put ludicrously low bids on things at auction...they must do it for a reason. Sometimes things get passed over and they score something for less than its worth. I think theres a thread on the first page of the homepage here about "scores" like this. People seem to celebrate these fortunate occasions.

This also wasn't some dude taking advantage of someone's grandmother either. It was an authenticated item bought at auction.

The OP didn't ask for sympathy, but if he did, he would deserve it. He got screwed out of $175 by a con artist authenticator and a suspect auction house.

Christian Augustus
Old 10-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
He didnt say that he didnt know it was real going in.
Wrong...here is his quote: Ya I was pretty sure it was a fake.

Jeff
Old 10-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
Wrong...here is his quote: Ya I was pretty sure it was a fake.

Jeff
I read that as saving face. Sorta like, "I knew she was a guy all along. I just had to make sure."
Old 10-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
I read that as saving face. Sorta like, "I knew she was a guy all along. I just had to make sure."
I assumed he was saying that after all he'd heard on these boards about Priddy, he began to assume it was fake.