NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 02-18-2016, 09:28 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Now for the more fun question how many posters in this thread that stuck up for the seller was asked to and/or received compensation for doing so from that seller?
yikes, i seriously hope not.

that would be an absolutely detrimental move in my book

Last edited by begsu1013; 02-18-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:49 AM
Robert Williams

I can't believe that is even a serious question. Seriously...if a car dealer makes a mistake and lists a $25,000 for $15,000, do you SERIOUSLY think they have any obligation to honor that sale?????? Only on Ebay and only on baseball cards, are sellers supposed to honor obvious mistakes. What a crock.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 02-18-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:55 AM

Ok but what about when a buyer says they didn't mean to bid the winning bid? What is your perspective on a mistake made by a buyer?
Old 02-18-2016, 09:55 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

after seeing "the list" and 9 million other cases of fraud, do you think a seller offering to compensate for a favorable post is really outta the question?

please.

this is in no way an opinion that sean has done so. (repeat)

simply a retort to bobby stating that it's a crazy assumption that no seller would ever do this.

anything is possible in this day and age. simply look at where some of the ah/hobby pioneers are residing today.

nothing surprises me these days. nothing.

i'll get to unicorn island one day though, bob!

Last edited by begsu1013; 02-18-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:08 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
If the seller is going to say the list price was simply a mistake and that means they have no obligation to honor the sale, I'm curious how the same seller would respond to a bidder who claimed they simply entered the wrong bid amount.
Theres a different dynamic about the cancelling issue bidder versus seller

The seller actually has the card, the buyer may or may not have the money to buy..

Cant get blood from a turnip....if a 'committed' buyer all of the sudden has bills to pay as you see sellers complain on ebay all the time..they are going to just not pay...what are you going to do....part of the business....

as to the seller, we assuming they have the card in hand....so its frustrating to see them not sell it due to a pricing error is the argument,..i get it...i dont agree but i get it....they have the card right there!...just send it...i paid them now send it!....

you cant compare the buyer versus seller because the buyer can always say they dont have the money to pay....they can come up with other fake excuses...hit wrong amount, bad description, but when it comes down to it they will say they dont have the funds to pay....

so you really cant say its the same thing as a buyer retracting a bid (with no ability to pay is what they are going to say whether real or not) versus a seller refusing to sell for a price error (because unless they committing fraud, they shoud have the card) its only a one way street of an angry transaction...the buyer knows the seller has the card and he not sending it...

the opposite isnt true...always a risk the buyer doesnt have the money..happens all the time..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 02-18-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:13 AM

My point was people are defending the seller but I doubt they'd defend the buyer. If everything is explained away as a simple mistake from the seller perspective, people should be more accepting of buyers making "mistakes" when they bid too.

But if someone is going to say it's impossible for a buyer to bid wrong, I'd say the same is true for someone claiming they listed a card wrong. Both have multiple safe guards in place to prevent such an "accident" (i.e. double confirms before something is submitted).

Last edited by packs; 02-18-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:15 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I can't believe that is even a serious question. Seriously...if a car dealer makes a mistake and lists a $25,000 for $15,000, do you SERIOUSLY think they have any obligation to honor that sale?????? Only on Ebay and only on baseball cards, are sellers supposed to honor obvious mistakes. What a crock.
Bobby, Packs makes a great point here. Why does the seller get a free pass on a mistake, but buyers are expected to honor their winning bid on a mistake?

The OP claims that he bought 4 cards. Unless I overlooked it, only 1 of the cards have been identified - 1952 Topps Frank House error card for $7.95. Search eBay completed listings and you'll see $7.95 is probably an average price for this card (regular card, not the error).

I have to agree with the OP on this one. He basically claims that the seller didn't know it was an error card (and priced as a regular common) when it was listed, and only discovered it was an error card after he purchased it and used the 'pricing error' excuse not to sell it for the BIN price.

I would like to see a link to the original auction. If there is no mention of it being an error card in the original auction, then the OP is absolutely right on this one. If there is mention of it being an error card, but priced at $7.95, then the seller is right on this one in that it was a pricing error.

Link to auction??? (I searched completed listings and couldn't find it).
Old 02-18-2016, 10:15 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Ok but what about when a buyer says they didn't mean to bid the winning bid? What is your perspective on a mistake made by a buyer?
It happens all the time. Nothing can be done about it. Just block the buyer, relist the card, and move on.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:34 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
My point was people are defending the seller but I doubt they'd defend the buyer. If everything is explained away as a simple mistake from the seller perspective, people should be more accepting of buyers making "mistakes" when they bid too.
They are. They have no choice but to be. Ebay makes it too easy for buyers to back out of deals. Buyers have all the power. They can retract bids, not pay for items, they are the only ones allowed to leave feedback, etc. A buyer can claim they never got an item and get their money back, no questions asked. All a seller can do is block and move on.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 02-18-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:59 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
"My 3 year old hit it while I was away from the computer."
Old 02-18-2016, 11:04 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I thought it was "My cat walked across my keyboard"
Old 02-18-2016, 11:54 AM

My real point is that neither explanation from a seller or a buyer making an incorrect listing or bid makes any sense. There are multiple confirms you have to go through to list an item for sale, just as there are when you place a bid. In my opinion, if something is listed for sale and is sold, that is the end. The same as if a bid was placed. There shouldn't be any excuses.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:06 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
My real point is that neither explanation from a seller or a buyer making an incorrect listing or bid makes any sense. There are multiple confirms you have to go through to list an item for sale, just as there are when you place a bid. In my opinion, if something is listed for sale and is sold, that is the end. The same as if a bid was placed. There shouldn't be any excuses.
Like I said live with the mistakes you make . I would love a redo on a lot of things in life . It was an accident or mistake or bad judgement . To bad you don't get a redo this is life . Turn the page and be more careful next time . And yes if I go to buy that car and then they say oops !!!!! My bad ! Prices wrong ! I'll well honor the price or I'll report you to the BBB or get a lawyer involved for wrongful advertisement .

Last edited by Rookiemonster; 02-18-2016 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:10 PM

You are always given the opportunity to check your bid for errors before bidding and are required to confirm a bid. The same is true for your sale listing. You have to make the same mistake more than once for it to go through.

Last edited by packs; 02-18-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:28 PM
Noel

Default Lawyer and BBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
Like I said live with the mistakes you make . I would love a redo on a lot of things in life . It was an accident or mistake or bad judgement . To bad you don't get a redo this is life . Turn the page and be more careful next time . And yes if I go to buy that car and then they say oops !!!!! My bad ! Prices wrong ! I'll well honor the price or I'll report you to the BBB or get a lawyer involved for wrongful advertisement .
Just a slight escalation--Perhaps the OP should get a lawyer and notify the BBB!

Go get 'em tiger!
Old 02-18-2016, 01:33 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
So what if he was? Isn't that what eBay is all about, looking for deals? Or are you one of those buyers that when you search, you sort by "Highest Price First"?

You need to look at the poll on the main board. There is nothing wrong trolling eBay looking for bargains (cards priced below market value), looking for errors in listings (misspellings in title or key words), unknown variations, etc. That is what eBay is all about.
I do not seeing anything inherently wrong with looking for good deals or even pricing mistakes. I do see a problem with complaining when a seller catches the mistake and does not honor the price that was posted in error.

I only mentioned I thought the OP was "trolling for pricing errors" because others implied this was unlikely. I disagree with their assessment.

I have not been paid for these, or any posts. Nor have I been asked to comment by anyone. My opinion isn't that important, although I do enjoy sharing it from time to time on this discussion board.

Mistakes do happen on the buyer side as well. I believe I have 2 bid retractions in my time on ebay, both honest mistakes that were retracted quickly. I even hit the BIN button once when I meant to send a best offer. I emailed the seller immediately and he canceled the sale and let me make the offer I meant to send. We did end up reaching an agreement between the two numbers. None of these situations called for a complaint to be published in a public forum.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:38 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
You could get a lawyer and file the report but it would be a waste of time and money. All they legally have to do is publish a price retraction. Mistakes do happen.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:44 PM
Bob Davies

Several thoughts come into mind on this thread...

Quote:
If we went to a store to buy something and we get to the register to pay and the item rings up significantly more than the posted price and the store refuses to honor their price, it might leave a bad taste in our mouth. If it happened on 2 separate occasions, then the customer has a legitimate complaint.
But if you went into the store, and it rings up incorrectly for a lower price, would one own up and say it rang up incorrectly?

If you walked out of the grocery store and noticed the toothpaste didn't ring up at all, would one go back in and pay for the toothpaste? I know I have, and one has to live with themselves and their decisions.

As for looking for deals on eBay, I find SP's on eBay from large dealers who price their SP commons the same as DP commons. I don't take the time to research with the seller that they know this particular '53 Topps common is an SP, and perhaps should be ten bucks more in this condition. I buy the card. I've also bought discounted lots where I really only wanted one card.

I've also been guilty of purchasing items that I later found out I could have had a little cheaper. Now I'm 98% a buyer on eBay, but I believe in my word. If I made a commitment to buy something, it should be honored.

Further, if I see three cards in the same condition on eBay, I'm gonna buy the least expensive. That should go without saying.

Finally, if the '52 Topps Mathews listed for $650, it had better be a real beater. But unless it should have been priced at $6500, or $560, or $5600, I struggle to see how the price should have been $1000 or something. That is really poor data entry...

Last edited by Stampsfan; 02-18-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:49 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
+1

I totally agree Bob, and I have made my comments in this thread in support of the seller. But the comments from some of the posters are simply beyond reason.

You cannot reason with people who are unreasonable.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:36 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
You cannot reason with people who are unreasonable.
Agreed. Oh just one question for you. And surely you can answer it because, after all, you are reasonable, right?

Question is, aafter how many times does it go from a listing error (mistake) to a habit?

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 02-18-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:14 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Agreed. Oh just one question for you. And surely you can answer it because, after all, you are reasonable, right?

Question is, aafter how many times does it go from a listing error (mistake) to a habit?

Ugh.......this is so pointless and endless.