NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Game Used Forum - 1980-Present

Old 10-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Michael Allen

Default Heritage Auction-Barry Sanders Game Worn Jersey

Is this Barry Sanders game worn jersey the real deal? Any Lions/Barry Sanders experts out there for help?

Heritage Auction currently has a 1992 Barry Sanders game worn jersey up for auction. I've been doing my best to find pictures or videos of home 1992 Lions jerseys to match up the name plate font, NFL logo placement, patterns & stitching, markings, etc...(you all know the drill), but i have a few questions/concerns.

This is the exact jersey that was sold in a previous Heritage auction in 2011; it was framed and sold for $2,269. It has the same markings on the left sleeve, and same markings/repairs on the shoulders; i'm certain it's the exact same jersey. I'm curious of the history of this jersey, who previously owned it, why did they take it out of the frame, can i get proof it came from a reliable party to verify it was game used? I've emailed Heritage already and no response yet. I won't be surprised if Heritage can't divulge all previous owner information but any information they can give would be helpful.

I've seen Lions jerseys with different font styles of the letters on the nameplates and i would like to know if this particular style is consistent with the jerseys during 1992. Were the letters more box like? Was there more spacing between the "B." and "Sanders? I've seen other game used Wilson jerseys and they were size 46, this one is a size 42, can anyone verify what size Sanders wore in early 90's Wilson jerseys?

Next I would like to pinpoint what game(s) this jersey was worn in. The jersey seems a bit light on wear. Maybe it was only used during one home indoor game?

If anyone has any Barry Sanders game used stuff i would be interested in seeing it and buying it or comparing.

If anyone would like to comment or send pictures or videos that can help verify the authenticity of this piece I would be greatly appreciate it.

2011 AUCTION:
http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleN...lotIdNo=383010

2012 AUCTION:
http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7065&lotNo=81780
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barry Sanders Game Worn Front.jpg (8.3 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg Barry Sanders Game Worn Back.jpg (9.6 KB, 142 views)
Old 10-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Michael Allen

I would also like to add if you see this youtube video and pause it at 6:11 you can tell the font on the name plate is different; anyone disagree?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGKp7LYPgGk
Old 10-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Steve Birmingham

Tough to tell from that spot on the video. There's a bit of ghosting and the angle distorts things.

But there's a much better if less complete look at 29:29

Different lettering for sure.

I don't know much else, like how consistent they were or if the one in the auction might be a different year.

Steve B
Old 10-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Michael Allen

So we agree, without question, the lettering is different, but why? Like you said how consistent were the Lions with lettering and numbering on jerseys. Or was if it's not a 1992 jersey. As a potential buyer if you can't even get the year correct that is a big turn off considering we are dealing with a jersey in the 90's not the 50's. I've only researched 1992 jerseys so i guess it could be a different year.

Steve - If there are inconsistencies with the jerseys i need to look at more pictures and videos, but so far, all the games i've watched have the more "box like" lettering that you show in your print screen - Thanks for that close up looks great!

Have you or anyone else out there had experience with Heritage Auctions? Every try to contact them? Any bad experiences?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Michael Allen

This is the third time this jersey has been offered for sale through Heritage - WARNING???

May 6, 2006 $6,273:
http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleN...22#11861186381

November 11, 2011 $2,629:
http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7041&lotNo=81552

October 2012 (Current auction)
http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7065&lotNo=81780

Why does this same jersey keep being popped up for sale? I don't think it's often the same game worn jersey has been up for sale three different times, especially one that we are having a hard time authenticating.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Steve Birmingham

I haven't had any experience with any of the major auctions. Most of their stuff is way outside my budget, and what isn't is in big lots so it's still too much.

I've done well at small places and online though, especially with poorly described items.

The mismatch would bother me more than its being offered 3 times in 6 years. Some people move stuff around as better stuff comes up.

Even assuming I had it, I don't think I'd spend 2K+ on something that's a bit of a puzzle. For that sort of price the research should already be done and done correctly.
Now if you find out it's a different year, maybe a more important year, that would be different.

Steve B
Old 10-08-2012, 04:26 PM
Michael Allen

I just spoke with two gentleman from Heritage Auctions. I forget the first persons name but the second was a Tony.

They basically said they do not have any documentation as to what specific game this jersey was worn in. I told them i've looked through countless pictures and videos and come to the conclusion it is not the same as other jerseys worn during the 1992 season.

**(As i write this they called me back and say they apologize they will look into this further and will follow up with me for more information!)**

They agree this exact jersey has been sold two previous times by Heritage in the past (2006 & 2011), but made it a point to say both times it was purchased by a third party and not in house bidding, even though they realized it brought more money unframed (I though it was funny they even mentioned that; shill bidding?)

I said didn't someone have to do some type of research before accepting this jersey as a consignment, who was that person or persons and what conclusions did they come up with to suggest it was authentic? Tony said he did not know and that maybe Chris Ivy would know and that it might be best to email him.

Customer service was fantastic. They apologized countless times as question after question was left unanswered. I'm curious to see the outcome. I'll keep all posted!

I expect the worst but hope for the best! I'm very opened minded and understand different jerseys are worn during the year but like you said Steve, shouldn't the research be done already and presented for me? Why do i have to go digging?

Mike
Old 10-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Steve Birmingham

Sounds like they're making an effort.

The detail that's easily found today wasn't typical 10 years ago, and for sure not 20 years ago. So maybe -Original buyer in maybe 1995, buys it as a 92 uniform. consigns it or sells it on to someone else who consigns it everyone thinking 1992. The auction house looks at provenance, maybe a reciept from th team, maybe a letter from someone. As long as it's really close- right maker, style, tagging- it gets in.

Now with readily available video to show it's probably not 1992 there's a question.

Sizes are pretty close. Maybe look at earlier years assuming he'd fill out a bit as he got older? There's a halfway decent guide to baseball uniforms online, but I don't know of one for football uniforms.
If a bit of research found it to actually be rookie year or something like that it wouldn't be a bad thing.

Most of my good deals have been stuff that wasn't described right or wasn't recognized for what it was at the time. Or was bought so long ago it was in an era when nobody cared.( Like when a sportscard place had a barrel full of cracked game used bats from the Red Sox that had been rescued from the trash by a janitor. Evans was $9 ) At my price level I'll take a chance if the item feels right. Sometimes a bit of research turns out pretty well, sometimes not. out of 4 bats bought for about .50 each at the flea market one was game used but rough, a Maris turned out not to be game used, but really close and saleable, and two others were probably minor league and unidentifiable. Kept the gamer, sold the Maris and the one unknown- The fourth was H+B block letter with just "Henry" which turns out is my nephews name. It'll make a nice decoration for him when he's old enough to not bust up the whole house with it.

Steve B
Old 10-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Michael Allen

I just got an email back from Heritage and they have decided to pull the Sanders jersey from the auction to investigate it further.