NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-02-2014, 07:01 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Just got back from 2 days. Had a great time. First day was 100% about the floor. Hitting every table. 8 hours and sore feet. Met Leon (hi Leon) and a few other members. I too noticed the ridiculous prices, but there were deals out there.
Day 2 was a last minute decision. Brought my 8 year-old son for the experience. He (we) did great. Dealers were great with kids and I'm surprised he lasted the whole day. His quote as we walked out was ' wow, that went by fast'. I was shocked. Spent the day looking through 25 cent - $1 boxes. Hours of fun. One autograph purchase - Jason Kipnis. Had to do it. My son's favorite.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:02 PM
Ethan

Default Early Ruth -- National

What is the report on Ruth items at the National?...I heard from a reliable source that the early Ruth stuff is very, very scarce and that the few items that are being made available are being sold for a steep premium. Can people confirm?

Thanks.

Ethan
Old 08-02-2014, 09:32 PM
Kev1n @1les

Default Long - if you are a TL;DR guy, you should skip. Scan heavy as well.

First National - great time. 2 days 10-6 both days with me and the boys (12&15).

Highlights:
With one or two minor exceptions, the exhibitors were super friendly to my kids. They gave them free stuff they talked to them about baseball (the 12 year old had a 1977 era Pirates pillbox hat and they would talk to him about it). I was expecting the worst and they went out of their way.

Incredible experience seeing all of the inventory. I felt like my 8 year old daughter when she went to the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique at Magic Kingdom or the American Girl Store in NYC. For the first hour on Friday, I was overwhelmed.

Biggest highlight was finally putting faces to names. I met Tony Schaefer of Monster Cards who has been a great friend and mentor online. I met Leon and got me Babe Ruth Net54 pin. I met Kit Young, Levi from 707 (what an inventory!) Probstein (he didn't give me the time of day). I enjoyed spending some time with Tim Carroll and watching him do his commission for the LBJ piece - cutting up the cards one by one.

Lowlights - Goodness the pricing was expensive. I have no problem paying a 10-20% premium to support the dealers and walk out with the card in hard. However, some of the prices were just ridiculous - 100-150% markup over the buy it now museum prices on Ebay.

Dealers would not price their cards. This was usually the indicator that they were astronomically priced. They would have 20%-30% off everything in the case. As an example, I am a set collector post war. I was upgrading my 57 and looking for an Ex Mint Tony Kubek 312. There is one in BST for $55 as a PSA 6. I have seen raw EX 35-45. So, a guy had an EX+ Kubek in his case - not priced with the 30% off note. I asked about it it. He said that it was $350 - but 30% off - so $245. I told him thanks, but I would pass. PSA 6 54 Aarons at 2400. PSA 6 55 Clementes at 2200. I felt like I was shopping at SAKs or Nordstroms. It was neat looking at the cards, however. If dealers didn't price their cards, I stopped asking after late Friday.

I really fell in love with Turkey Reds - I think that is what they are called - T3's. A really nice exhibitor told me the story about how they were acquired and how someone could order for a specific player. Leon gave some additional color to the methodology. At some point, I will begin buying pre-war. When I do, I have T3 fever. What a beautiful group of cards.

My friend Wayne from Shoebox cards told me that I was wasting time and money buying post war. He told me a story of how he stumbled upon a group of T3s in 1969 - where he bought them at an antique shop for $5 a card - over 100 of them. He sold them several years ago, but ranks it as his greatest find.

Good times. Great bonding with my boys. It was great that it was close to home - not sure if I will go to Chicago or AC as there were no deals to be found but I enjoyed the experience.

I am going to try to attach some pictures - if I can't attach mutiple, then it will be over a series of posts - apologies in advance for my lack of acumen - I swear that 10 years ago I was actually pretty good with the PC - now I have to ask my 15 year old how to do stuff... sigh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg big daddy with BR bath.jpg (17.2 KB, 851 views)
File Type: jpg conner with br bat.jpg (20.0 KB, 854 views)
File Type: jpg close up br bat.jpg (17.1 KB, 854 views)
File Type: jpg cam br bat.jpg (20.0 KB, 857 views)
File Type: jpg big daddy with ud pic.jpg (10.6 KB, 857 views)
File Type: jpg boys UD pic.jpg (16.0 KB, 855 views)
File Type: jpg tim carroll.jpg (19.9 KB, 855 views)
File Type: jpg net54 br pin.jpg (10.3 KB, 853 views)

Last edited by kailes2872; 08-02-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Kev1n @1les

Default Pics Part 2

Here is a second round of pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cards that never were.jpg (18.2 KB, 853 views)
File Type: jpg champ ring.jpg (14.1 KB, 852 views)
File Type: jpg hank aaron auto jersey.jpg (11.3 KB, 852 views)
File Type: jpg lou gehrig pic.jpg (10.6 KB, 853 views)
File Type: jpg net 54 pin.jpg (11.0 KB, 850 views)
File Type: jpg pre war pics.jpg (15.0 KB, 854 views)
File Type: jpg ruth aut.jpg (8.0 KB, 854 views)
Old 08-02-2014, 09:36 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmcjfc View Post
Went to the National today with a pocket full of cash ready to spend. Came back home with a pocket full of cash. I don't mind paying a 10% premium or so for the convenience of buying in person, but most cards I got cash prices on were more like 30-60% over market value, some up to 100%. It's still worth the $20 entry fee and the time to check things out, but I'll do my card shopping elsewhere.

I've been to a dozen + Nationals over the past two dozen + years, and I have virtually never paid the initial asking price for a card I wanted if I thought it was overpriced. I just can't bring myself to do it, no matter how bad I want it. I am not a deep-pocket spender, but I have found that most dealers who have overpriced cards that I want are willing to reduce their prices, often quite significantly, after some discussion, especially once they realize I am aware as to what the realistic going prices are for the cards in question.

Keep in mind that most dealers are quite aware of Net54, and many are members, although you may not see them posting very often - so, I always ask for a "Net54 discount," which usually works. Also, many of the dealers have their inventory on eBay, and I am often able to recognize cards that interest me that have outlandish (IMHO) BINs on eBay - but these dealers don't have to pay eBay & PayPal fees when they sell their cards at the National, which should result in "automatic" discounts for starters. To me, it's like buying a new car - the sticker price is meaningless!

For example, today, I bought a card at the National that I have wanted badly for a long time - it has been an overprice $475 BIN on eBay forever. I had a nice conversation with this dealer and explained why I thought it was overpriced, especially in comparison to similar cards he has on eBay. He looked something up in his computer and then asked me if I was the person who offered him $175 for this card via eBay over a year ago - I responded that yes, I am the guy. He thought a bit, and then said I could have the card for $200 - I said "sold." Interestingly, this dealer didn't even have this with him card at the Show, so his mailing cost is included in the $200. Yes, this card may still be a bit overpriced at $200, but it is a scarce card (a Zeeenut with a tab of a certain player who was on the 1924 Senators team, one of my collecting focuses) that I wanted badly, so I am a happy camper!

The bottom line is, there are good/decent deals to be had, but you usually have to do a bit of "work" to get them!

Hope all that attended the National had as much fun as I did!

Val Kehl
Old 08-02-2014, 09:36 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnVT View Post
What is the report on Ruth items at the National?...I heard from a reliable source that the early Ruth stuff is very, very scarce and that the few items that are being made available are being sold for a steep premium. Can people confirm?

Thanks.

Ethan
I saw several early Ruth cards.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:42 PM
Alex

My thoughts from the National were this:

(1) Lots of cool stuff to see. If you haven't had the opportunity to personally examine some of the rarer stuff then go.

(2) The prices were ridiculous. However, I saw some dealers except 50% of their list price.

(3) Meeting people was a plus. Most of the collectors I talked to were very friendly especially board members. It was especially fun to hang out with Eric and Steve.

(4) I don't know that I will make a return trip a high priority but I had a great time.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 08-02-2014, 09:51 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Just got home after a 9 hour drive ( 2 hours sitting in traffic on I90 because
some geniuses in Ohio decide to merge six lanes down to one on the busiest
weekend of the year with the National, NFL hall of fame inductions and PGA
tour event).

Picked up a few T206's but the best part was meeting up with Jantz, Chris B
and other members.

Patrick
Old 08-02-2014, 09:52 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I am on my way home now after four days. Great trip as usual.

I did not see ridiculous prices but I wasn't looking for the hottest prewar sets in high grade slabs either. I bought over 200 cards for my collection. I dug and dug on messy tables, sifted through hundreds of commons looking for the right cards, and worked over every buck negotiating prices. That's how you gotta work the show--relentlessly. And be flexible. I got some great prewar photos of the cubs training on Catalina and a ton of postwar Topps cards. Even got a nice Morrell Koufax and a Koufax rookie. All those were on my list but I could not count on them. They were targets of opportunity. If you approach the show looking for one narrow thing you will probably leave disappointed, especially if you are after a hot set.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-03-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:29 PM
Joe Drouillard

I spent two days at the show.

Overwhelming experience. After a few rows of looking the merchandise seemed to blend together, each table seemed to be filled with the same stuff.

Only spent 1/4 of what I intended to spend. Ironically I spent the most on a 1924 Diaz card that I think I was the under-bidder on a few weeks ago on eBay. Impulse buy. Yes, I did pay a lot more for it at the show.

The best part was watching dads and sons shopping together for treasures. The excited kids reminded me of how great collecting cards was when I was little.

I did take advantage of the Net54 SGC special. (Thanks Leon for arranging it.) I also enjoyed meeting Earl from SGC and putting a face to someone that I have dealt with over the phone. He was very helpful.

Thing I disliked the most: Unless they knew you most of the dealers seemed bothered and not interested in selling. I stopped and looked at almost every booth, but only a few dealers even asked what I was collecting. Maybe I have an ugly mug. Today most dealers just looked beat. I'm sure that they were.

The real excitement was at the rear of the room where all of the pack ripping was going on. I still don't understand the glamour of spending $70 hoping to get an autograph of someone who may not be in the Big Leagues in a few years. Gambling is not for me.

I hope everyone that went had a great time and found what they were looking for.

Best regards,

Joe
Old 08-03-2014, 12:12 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:

Thanks.

Ethan
coming soon...

Old 08-03-2014, 12:16 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Old 08-03-2014, 05:02 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Best Show I have ever done

I got so tired of selling things that I did not really want to that I packed up early and gave my tables to the people behind me. The market is rather strong and tougher cards and tougher T cards sell very well right now and often over Ebay which many here seem to quote as market price.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:34 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northviewcats View Post
I spent two days at the show.

Overwhelming experience. After a few rows of looking the merchandise seemed to blend together, each table seemed to be filled with the same stuff.

Only spent 1/4 of what I intended to spend. Ironically I spent the most on a 1924 Diaz card that I think I was the under-bidder on a few weeks ago on eBay. Impulse buy. Yes, I did pay a lot more for it at the show.

The best part was watching dads and sons shopping together for treasures. The excited kids reminded me of how great collecting cards was when I was little.

I did take advantage of the Net54 SGC special. (Thanks Leon for arranging it.) I also enjoyed meeting Earl from SGC and putting a face to someone that I have dealt with over the phone. He was very helpful.

Thing I disliked the most: Unless they knew you most of the dealers seemed bothered and not interested in selling. I stopped and looked at almost every booth, but only a few dealers even asked what I was collecting. Maybe I have an ugly mug. Today most dealers just looked beat. I'm sure that they were.

The real excitement was at the rear of the room where all of the pack ripping was going on. I still don't understand the glamour of spending $70 hoping to get an autograph of someone who may not be in the Big Leagues in a few years. Gambling is not for me.

I hope everyone that went had a great time and found what they were looking for.

Best regards,

Joe
I agree 100% with the lack of friendliness. I walked away several dealer tables that had things I was interested in because they wouldn't acknowledge that I was there.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 08-03-2014, 09:47 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
I got so tired of selling things that I did not really want to that I packed up early and gave my tables to the people behind me. The market is rather strong and tougher cards and tougher T cards sell very well right now and often over Ebay which many here seem to quote as market price.
I can't help but wonder if sales at the national are a true indicator of anything. Yes, people are paying inflated premiums over "market" price, but I would bet that that's just the psyche of the collector spending all that time and money to go to the national and just not wanting to walk away empty handed. Just my theory, anyway.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:38 AM
Dan Studebaker

The people are the best part of the National. Go to see and meet a lot of folks, and unfortunately also missed a ton of people I wanted to see. I posted some pictures from my phone on facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/bidbrain

Pleasure to finally meet Ted and always a pleasure to talk to the fountain of knowledge that is Mark Macrae.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:52 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I am on my way home now after four days. Great trip as usual.

I did not see ridiculous prices but I wasn't looking for the hottest prewar sers on high grade slabs either. I bought over 200 cards for my collection. I dug and dug on messy tables, sifted through hundreds of commons looking for the right cards, and worked over every buck negotiating prices. That's how you gotta work the show--relentlessly. And be flexible. I got some great prewar photos of the cubs training on Catalina and a ton of postwar Topps cards. Even got a nice Morrell Koufax and a Koufax rookie. All those were on my list but I could not count on them. They were targets of opportunity. If you approach the show looking for one narrow thing you will probably leave disappointed, especially if you are after a hot set.
+1

Floating around the show looking at the overpriced eye candy of those with the biggest booths seemed to be what a lot of people were doing. The deals were in the smaller booths where you could strike up a conversation, build a common understanding about an item, and then negotiate a fair price. I got more deals at this Natty than the past two combined. Sometimes I had to walk away and come back the next day to get prices to fall. In general I didn't feel like if I passed up something it would be gone later so I did this consistently as a negotiating tactic.

Also stumbled into a few items that the dealer did not really seem to know what it was and/or it's true rarity. I guess that's the benefit of looking for things that are less mainstream.

jeff
Old 08-03-2014, 11:12 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Definitely, Jeff. There are always astounding items hidden in piles of stuff that you just have to dig out and retrieve. I am a bit of a maniac at the show because I know that. I try to save the socializing for the evenings and when I am too tired to keep walking and searching. I will post some 'picks' later this week.

Or not...
Old 08-03-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf441 View Post
I know that there's still over a full day to go, but for those attending, what is the big item/story/trend at the National this year (i.e. the Old Mill Blue Back in 2012, etc...)? Thanks for all the reports!
1914 Cracker Jacks.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:02 PM

It's always interesting to watch the videos and see the same cards behind the glass cases that I've seen in person over the last 7-8 years. Often with the same price stickers and same amounts....
Old 08-03-2014, 11:08 PM

Default Don't get it

This was my first national in about 10 years. Here are two things I'll never understand:
1. Dealers who only have tables full of unorganized 10 cent cards. How many of those do you have to sell just to pay expenses?
2. People sitting at these tables digging through the 10 cent cards. There has to be a better way to fill whatever list you're working on.

I probably spent more at this show than I've ever spent at any other show. But I was mainly working on 60s-70s sets in ExMt-NrMt. Definitely got better deals than on eBay.

I also spent at least a few dollars every place I saw a kid who was borrowing some table space from dad.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:26 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

The boys of booth 1820: David Cycleback, Tim Newcomb, Mike Peich and Scott Forrest. Photographed by REA's Brian Dwyer. This was near the end of the show, which proves we got along swimmingly. By swimmingly, I don't mean the booth was like Das Boot by day three.

Last edited by drcy; 08-03-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:12 AM
A.J. Johnson

Default First National in 15 years...

I had a great time! I flew in on Friday morning from the west coast and went straight to the show. I hit every table in one day and didn't run into one unfriendly dealer. As a matter of fact, I met some really great people and enjoyed talking about common pre-war interests. It was my wife's first time to Ohio and as a trade off for being a sport walking the show with me, I took her to dinner at a really amazing restaurant in the tiny lakeside town of Vermilion. We were charmed by the beautiful turn of the century houses and the boats docked in front of the stately homes along the waterway. Highly recommend checking it out the next time you're in CLE! Most of all got to meet Barry, Adam and Eitan who all dazzled me with their insights and knowledge of the hobby and personal collections. Including some scans of cards I was lucky enough to take home. Hoping to be back next year...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Knabe1psa2front.jpg (13.8 KB, 752 views)
File Type: jpg Killifer135psa2front.jpg (15.0 KB, 751 views)
File Type: jpg Evers18psa4front.jpg (16.6 KB, 750 views)
File Type: jpg Hendrix76psa4front.jpg (15.3 KB, 751 views)
File Type: jpg Wheat raw.jpg (10.3 KB, 752 views)
Old 08-04-2014, 07:30 AM
Mark Danner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATSR View Post
This was my first national in about 10 years. Here are two things I'll never understand:
1. Dealers who only have tables full of unorganized 10 cent cards. How many of those do you have to sell just to pay expenses?
2. People sitting at these tables digging through the 10 cent cards. There has to be a better way to fill whatever list you're working on.

I probably spent more at this show than I've ever spent at any other show. But I was mainly working on 60s-70s sets in ExMt-NrMt. Definitely got better deals than on eBay.

I also spent at least a few dollars every place I saw a kid who was borrowing some table space from dad.
I ended up having much better luck in the ten cent box than most anywhere else. Most of it was timing, as a guy pulled out a 5k box of 70's cards from under the table just as I was walking by. Stopped, sat down for a while, and came away with lots of great stuff. Spent probably $80 there. Plus talking to the other guys there was great, and that dealer was one of the best. My other favorite table at the show was the guy selling old press pictures and publications. I was at his table at least 4 times Sat-Sun and bought more each time. He had some really interesting stuff and was great to talk to.
My hunt for t210's was an absolute waste of time. only about 6 or so dealers had any at all, and only 2 had a total of 3 from my series 4. Those were so overpriced I didn't even bother to make an offer. Almost triple the going rate. and those were the Sunday prices, I can only imagine what they were asking early in the week. Still ended up spending about what I budgeted, but certainly not on the things I had intended to spend it on.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:02 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:

Thanks.

Ethan
Even with my "museum" strategy of pricing of my personal collection I sold an early Ruth card. The buyer is ecstatic and I am happy so that is all that matters. Early Ruth items are still hot.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:37 AM
Doug

Default My national experience

My brief summary. My son (20) and I (48) spent all day Saturday at the National. We were in line when it opened and left at 5:45. I had no "want list" or objective, I just wanted to take in the experience and enjoy the day. I thought I made it to all tables, but based on the photos, I guess i missed a few. I liked the layout, but with the set up of the building, you couldn't really just go up and down rows. High level overview:
* I was impressed with the friendliness and overall interactions with the dealers. I was routinely greeted at each table with a hello and a "let me know if you need any help or are looking for anything".
* I was amused with the cheering and countdowns (or whatever) at the corporate booths. I'm not sure what was going on, but it was entertaining to hear. Maybe if I had a booth near there I wouldn't have been so amused, but to me it added energy to the overall atmosphere.
*I was impressed with the selection and displays (as a rule). I agree with some previous posters in that I caught myself occasionally slipping in to "work mode" and doing some quick math with the cost of the show vs. what the booth had for sale. Some of it didn't add up, but they spent the money, I guess they can arrange their booth however they want.
*I shook my head at the number of Ruth autographs (both "raw" and in "designed scarcity" insert cards.
*Dropped some things off at SGC and, like all other interactions I have had with the company, everything was handled in a VERY professional, friendly manner.
*Didn't see much non-sports stuff (which is a good thing). I remember one comic display and another one that was 50-50 cards and rock memorabilia. I thought it was interesting that a few booths focused on old sporting equipment. Not the mainstream sports, but just about anything sports related and vintage.
* The soft serve ice cream booth was very good and I impressed myself by only having one cone.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:51 AM

Default Great posts! Love these reports....wish i was there...

I know I have been obsessing....

but did anyone see any T206 Scrap??? blank backs??? cool ghost Freaks???? anything odd T206??? upside down backs?? were any for sale?? any on display??

everyone I spoke with said there was very little available to be seen in that arena ..

any input on this

thanks

Johnny v

Last edited by mrvster; 08-04-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadiumechoes View Post
* The soft serve ice cream booth was very good and I impressed myself by only having one cone.
Agreed, was by far the best thing food-wise.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post

but did anyone see any T206 Scrap??? blank backs??? cool ghost Freaks???? anything odd T206??? upside down backs?? were any for sale?? any on display??

everyone I spoke with said there was very little available to be seen in that arena ..

any input on this

thanks

Johnny v
You sure like asking
But I want to know to
Old 08-04-2014, 12:25 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

I am stuck in my CLE hotel room with a Monday PM departure home. No better time to sort my purchases

Larry
Old 08-04-2014, 12:55 PM

Wowzers Larry thats a lot of vintage for sure

Last edited by Matvoo; 08-04-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default Larry

you must have accidently picked-up that graded card :-)
Old 08-04-2014, 01:23 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
you must have accidently picked-up that graded card :-)
haha busted! but actually the slabbed t205 was a gift look close under those "raw" 1935 Goudey and you will see my first original Babe Ruth graded PSA2!
Larry
Old 08-04-2014, 01:29 PM
Daryl

Larry that is hardcore - barely a slab, top loader, or penny sleeve in sight!
Old 08-04-2014, 01:33 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
Larry that is hardcore - barely a slab, top loader, or penny sleeve in sight!
Daryl my bike and clothespins are at home
Larry
Old 08-04-2014, 01:51 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post

any input on this

thanks

Johnny v
I saw blank back. I can't remember which auction house had it, I believe the guy at the booth was named Al.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 08-04-2014, 02:20 PM
Steven H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
I saw blank back. I can't remember which auction house had it, I believe the guy at the booth was named Al.
Love Of The Game Auctions
Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 08-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Dang Larry, what don't you collect?
Old 08-04-2014, 04:10 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Al had a few scraps/errors for his next auction.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:35 PM
Tony Schaefer

Thanks to all for your contributions to this thread. As a dealer, customer opinions definitely serve as market research. Of course, some comments are (intentionally) just pure entertainment… Either will do!

A quick “Hey” to Kevin Ailes – it was great to meet you and your boys this weekend! As always at shows, whether it’s a several-day marathon or just a small one-day event, I wish I would have had more time to chat.

Unfortunately, I agree with his and some others’ opinions that many dealers have off-puttingly (I occasionally make up words) high prices. I’ll say that dealers like myself are at shows to pick up cards too – from other dealers and customers. That Tuesday and pre-VIP time on Wednesday can be a flurry of dealer-to-dealer action. While collectors and dealers are free to price their cards as they wish, I’ll just echo that I was kinda disappointed in this regard also.

That said, sales were strong for me and most every dealer I know well enough to speak candidly with. (I just know the good/reasonable dealers, of course! ) Thank you to the Cleveland market and all who traveled long distances to attend and make that happen.

Incidentally, I was set up pretty close to that ‘ruckus,’ which I believe was coming from the Topps area. I was convinced that there couldn’t be people chanting with such fervor so frequently (I thought it was a recording), but was incorrect in that assumption. Whoever was whipping up such a frenzy has a serious talent for crowd work. He/she should have been operating that lonely ferris wheel....

-T

eBay: im-a-monster

Facebook: Monster Cards - Fun stuff, new inventory, random thoughts

Instagram: Monster Cards - New inventory almost every day

Twitter: Monster Cards - When I can find something witty to say
Old 08-04-2014, 05:04 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
I am stuck in my CLE hotel room with a Monday PM departure home. No better time to sort my purchases

Larry
That looks like my bed when I was 10 years old. Good stuff !
Old 08-04-2014, 05:49 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewing View Post
Dang Larry, what don't you collect?
Brent if it's pre 1980 it might be on my wantlist I bought a bunch of 50s and 60s Topps hockey as well but I had to sort that on the dresser as I ran out of room on the bed!
Old 08-04-2014, 05:53 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHogan View Post
Thanks Dave and I hope everyone enjoys their cards as much as I do mine!
Larry
Old 08-04-2014, 08:01 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHogan View Post
Ha! +1
Old 08-04-2014, 08:11 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by shernan30 View Post
Love Of The Game Auctions
Thanks for the assist!
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 08-05-2014, 07:12 AM
Dan Studebaker

Tony - glad you had a good show, it was a pleasure to meet you and you sure had some good stuff!
Old 08-05-2014, 04:23 PM

Default Early Ruth Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Even with my "museum" strategy of pricing of my personal collection I sold an early Ruth card. The buyer is ecstatic and I am happy so that is all that matters. Early Ruth items are still hot.
You bet I'm ecstatic Leon. I may never see that one again!

Joe
Old 08-05-2014, 04:37 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
You bet I'm ecstatic Leon. I may never see that one again!

Joe
Pics?
Old 08-05-2014, 04:43 PM
Steven Sadler

Joe does love his Ruth cards. Congrats on your pickup!
Old 08-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATSR View Post

Maybe a dime a card is what they can afford? Hell, I spend an inordinate amount of time at dollar boxes, but I enjoy it. That's the bottom line.

Here are some dollar box items I found:

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-05-2014 at 05:00 PM.