NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-21-2003, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Default pet peeve- quoting high book.....grrr

Posted By: Ben

This has to be my #1 pet peeve in the hobby. Take, for example, someone who has a '52 Topps Pafko in g-vg. This card would typically sell for a very small fraction of high book for several reasons; namely, because it is far from NM, and is relatively easy to come by in that grade.

HOWEVER, you will see time and time again sellers stating in bold letters that it books for $3,500, as if it were a realistic sum to expect. Man, it bothers me 'till no end when people take book value as some sort of prophetical statement of a card's actual value, completely ignoring more pertinent factors such as condition and desirability. It all boils down to the fact that price guides are just that- guides...which are meant to give us an indication of a card's relative value. NOT ACTUAL VALUE!

Anybody with me on this? Thanks for letting me vent and feel free to add your own peeves...

Old 11-21-2003, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

It's major pet peeve of mine too. And right up there is people stupid enough to pay a premium for a first or last card that is not NM. There is no reason that a first or last card should carry a premium in lower grades. There is nothing tough about finding those cards in that condition. It should be priced like any other common in lower grades.

Jay

Old 11-21-2003, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

Back when email auctions were big (don't see anyone doing them anymore), many auctioneers would include the Beckett or whatever Nrmt book price. It was intended as a quick and dirty guide, in particular as many bidders didn't want to look up every card in their Beckett ... As an email listed, say, 500 lots and it was clearly noted that the high grade book price quoted was just a loose marker for the bidders' convenience and most sellers included a brief guide for grades Mint thru Poor-- there wasn't any deception.

Old 11-21-2003, 04:49 PM
Administrator

I don't collect cards and don't know if collectors still do it this way-- but I remember deducing book price by doing fractions of the Near Mint Beckett. Near Mint = 100%, Excellent = 50% of Near Mint, Very Good = 30%. So, when someone quoted Beckett book price, collectors would simply do the neccesary math for the card's grade. In that sense, someone quoting Nrmt book price for a very good card was a convenience.

I do agree with Ben's point (especially when they quote SMR for a fair card!), but am pointing out that way back when quoting Nrmt book price was considered polite.

Old 11-21-2003, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

But if you don't know market value for a card, and you are relying on the seller to tell you, then stick a fork in yourself.

Also, if you are going to quote book value, mention the condition that goes along with it. Personally, I ignore those quoted values in auction descriptions.

My pet peeve is "EX" cards with surface wrinkles...or NM cards that really would be NM if not for one tiny little wrinkle (that is still of course noticeable). Or cards with erased pencil writing,etc.that isn't described and doesn't show up in scans.

I have had board members pull each of the above on me, and I never said a word. But they had to realize that it was a one-time sticking, as I will never again buy cards from them...and I haven't.

Similar things to the above have occured in auction wins from major auction houses. Again, I learn what descriptions can be trusted and which ones can't. Minor back damage ends up being a major disaster, the prime card in a lot is over-graded by 1-2 grades,etc. I make mental notes like "okay to buy graded cards from that auction, but not ungraded" or..."okay to buy books,guides,but not ungraded cards...or..."25% of cards in EXMT or better lots will be trimmed or otherwise altered...bid accordingly"

I wonder if you guys who are hosing your customers (many who are reading this post) realize that it is costing you more than you are gaining?

Old 11-21-2003, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Ben, how about this: When someone's offering the latest 1/1 Juan LeBron eBay, I don't need to be quoted the price of the PSA8 T206 Honus Wagner or the Hope Diamond.

Old 11-21-2003, 06:25 PM
Administrator

For example:

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2762747103&category=44850

Though this would be a eBay listing that my grandmother and her dimestore glasses could have read

Old 11-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Hey Ben,
I am with ya. I think more dealers do it than non-dealers (my extremely informal findings). I had a good friend/dealer do that (quote high book)in the last few days and I went "huh"? as the card was gd-vg....I do think it is appropriate to quote a vg price for a lower grade card since that's where some of the guide prices start. Again, there is no lower guide price so the buyer can figure it out. $100 card in vg and card is good equals about a $50-$75 card, in my book (altough a lot of times the actual prices realized are more than book)..good topic and a minor pet peeve of mine. best regards

Old 11-21-2003, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Nothing gets me more than seeing a card at a show that looks like my dog started to eat it then spit it out and see a tag on it that says book price $500 my price $5.00. It is sad.

Paul

Old 11-21-2003, 11:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

"full book value," and that lately, sellers have either gotten too lazy or too greedy to add the "full,"
and the latter seems more likely. I guess the annoying thing is thinking that THEY think they're going to fool someone with a near mint price tossed out in the description of a fair card.

Old 11-22-2003, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Hey, while it's annoying for some jackass to list the NM Beckett value for a card with a crease down the middle, at least you have the opportunity to do your own homework and avoid getting burned. The only pet peeve that really is worthy of driving anyone insane is the online dealers that list cards as "NM" and the card comes with either a crease or a few bashed corners. I'm so sick and tired of sending cards back and being lied to. I purchased an entire 56 Topps set on ebay one card at a time...and must have had to send back 40 cards due to the lying of the dealers. Did they think I wouldn't notice? That I was blind?
A "NM" should at least rate as a 7...not a 5. There are dealers that have beaten me once for a ten dollar card that I will never ever buy from again. Was it worth it?