NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-08-2016, 10:08 PM
Dan Bretta

Default Willie Connor - Mascot of the Miracle Braves

I'm guessing mascot autographs are extremely rare, and probably not widely collected outside of Eddie Gaedel. (Does a Victory Faust auto even exist?). I've got one of Willie Connor who was known as "Johnny Boston Beans" of the 1914 Braves and am wondering if anyone knows of another. Also wondering if anyone knows what became of him? He apparently was there for the 14 season and is written about in newspaper articles quite a bit, but did not show up for the 1915 season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg willie.jpg (52.1 KB, 94 views)
Old 08-09-2016, 07:16 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

I saw that from your prior thread on the find. It really is terrific. Unfortunately I can't give you and more info on the person, but I have to think that a "completist" for the 1914 Braves (among the more sought after teams in autograph collecting) would very much want it. I have one of the mascot for the 1929 Cubs. Unfortunately not nearly as well collected!

Another valuable mascot is Eddie Bennett of the 1927 (and other years) New York Yankees.

Tom C
Old 08-09-2016, 07:24 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I'm guessing mascot autographs are extremely rare, and probably not widely collected outside of Eddie Gaedel. (Does a Victory Faust auto even exist?). I've got one of Willie Connor who was known as "Johnny Boston Beans" of the 1914 Braves and am wondering if anyone knows of another. Also wondering if anyone knows what became of him? He apparently was there for the 14 season and is written about in newspaper articles quite a bit, but did not show up for the 1915 season.
That is interesting that he did not show up for the 1915 season. He is mentioned in at least one newspaper article from the period.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:31 AM
Dan Bretta

Thanks for the info guys...I did find that he is shown in a picture of the all star team that came to Fenway park to play against the Red Sox in a benefit game for Tim Murnane in 1917, so he didn't just disappear.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:19 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys...I did find that he is shown in a picture of the all star team that came to Fenway park to play against the Red Sox in a benefit game for Tim Murnane in 1917, so he didn't just disappear.
The players gave him $250 for his World Series share, perhaps he used the money to start a business or go to college. Interesting that he shows up in the All-Star picture.

Last edited by Huck; 08-09-2016 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:58 AM
d.ean

This might even be him in the 1916 team photo.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/fen...photo_1916.jpg

My guess is his rally antics during the miracle season received more press. After the World Series championship he was still a bat boy/mascot up until at least 1917.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:46 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazard View Post
This might even be him in the 1916 team photo.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/fen...photo_1916.jpg

My guess is his rally antics during the miracle season received more press. After the World Series championship he was still a bat boy/mascot up until at least 1917.
That does look like him. The Red Sox may have appropriated him from the Braves, or perhaps more likely he just lived closer to Fenway and stuck around there when the Braves moved into their new park in late 1915.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:27 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
That does look like him. The Red Sox may have appropriated him from the Braves, or perhaps more likely he just lived closer to Fenway and stuck around there when the Braves moved into their new park in late 1915.
South End Park was about a mile southeast of Fenway and Braves Field about a mile northwest of Fenway. If he lived in the Roxbury/South End area it would have been a bit farther, but on a trolley line.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”