NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-22-2017, 08:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Too many powerful people have too much money tied up in the PSA registry; in my opinion they are essentially bullet proof.
Sort of like our banks, too big to fail? There is some truth to that, even if a major scandal broke, most guys would find a way to justify going on as usual, and the damage would be controlled.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:22 PM
David Peck

I saw the PDF file of the names involved. There was a Peter Spaeth on it. Not the most common name. Peter is that you or another Peter Spaeth?
Old 08-22-2017, 08:28 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Sort of like our banks, too big to fail? There is some truth to that, even if a major scandal broke, most guys would find a way to justify going on as usual, and the damage would be controlled.
Everybody (who uses the people who get paid for their opinions) already finds a way to justify it, remember that part about the first card being a lie?

Doug
Old 08-22-2017, 08:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

David, last year when the list came out I posted a detailed description of the transaction in question and my perspective on it, and answered questions. A number of board members whose names appeared (in some cases multiple times) chose to remain silent. Which was the better course, who knows, but in any event I really am not inclined to go another round, so I refer you to the prior thread.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:42 PM
David Peck

Cool. Yesterday was the first time I saw the list. It was one of the largest percentage losses I saw and so it stuck out like a sore thumb and I saw the name Peter Spaeth next to it. I only recall a few names that were important to the hobby like Dave Forman being on it when it was released and discussing how that would be a concern if David Hall or Joe Orlando were named but they weren't. With that being the case I think it was wise to not try and implicate the third party graders.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:20 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdmtx View Post
My assumption on the lack of PSA coverage, is fear of legal repercussions. PSA offers an opinion of quality of a card, and opinions are only that, nothing more. As far as I know, they are not embroiled in any criminal case. No basis for the show to sling mud on them.

Mark Medlin
No basis...They're a paid service. Supposedly card experts. And they can't tell a trimmed card? The most famous card in the history of cards no less. They should be buried in mud for that. How anybody can send them money after that is beyond me.

Well...like P.T. Barnum said...
Old 08-22-2017, 09:38 PM
Rich v@n He$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
No basis...They're a paid service. Supposedly card experts. And they can't tell a trimmed card? The most famous card in the history of cards no less. They should be buried in mud for that. How anybody can send them money after that is beyond me.

Well...like P.T. Barnum said...
For hobbyists, PSAs ineptitude or corruption is a big deal. For the average person watching CNBC, they don't really care about PSA unless they can be submerged in scandal. For the reasons above, CNBC can't really do that without significant liability. They can say PDA missed it and the general public will yawn.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:57 AM
Dan Marke1

I just saw the CNBC bonus features. This is another scam that I wasn't aware of. This raises several questions:

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2017/08/2...nce-faked.html

Was the Plank graded by PSA or SGC?

What ever happen to the card? Did the grading company buy it back or is it in another "high profile" collection in elite registry status?

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 09-01-2017, 08:17 AM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

Interesting about the Plank. About '98 or '99 someone was selling a few professionally restored Goudey Ruth and Gehrig on eBay. These cards looked almost perfect stating they were restored with donor cards and very little restoration was needed.

Does anyone remember them and know what happened to them?
Old 09-01-2017, 10:42 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesWS1979 View Post
Interesting about the Plank. About '98 or '99 someone was selling a few professionally restored Goudey Ruth and Gehrig on eBay. These cards looked almost perfect stating they were restored with donor cards and very little restoration was needed.

I don't remember those exact cards. I do remember the people doing the restoring openly advertising their work in that time frame. They made it sound like they could take a beater and turn it into a mint card using other cards of the same year for donor parts.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:09 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesWS1979 View Post

Yes, I remember. He was around even before then, early 1990s or 1980s. I think he put a pen dot on the back of the cards to identify them, and I assume the built up borders would show up under blacklight or holding up the card to a light (opacity). It was before blacklights were commonly used, and I assume the restoration would be easy to identify.

He was was overt about what he was doing and sold them for what they were-- restored cards. The concern was about deception by later sellers.

Also, if I recall correctly, the guy quit doing it years back, because he became allergic to substances used.

Last edited by drcy; 09-01-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:32 AM
Dale Walton
Dale Wal.ton

I a member of PSA, have registry sets, etc....

But, weren't some of PSA's expert board members identified as participants in the shilling scheme? If so, should they still be on PSA's board today?
Old 09-02-2017, 12:03 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by taul166 View Post
I a member of PSA, have registry sets, etc....

But, weren't some of PSA's expert board members identified as participants in the shilling scheme? If so, should they still be on PSA's board today?
There were some big names, but I don't recall that.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:56 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
Yes and yes. The trimmed Wagner that Gretzky and McNall bought was PSA's first graded card and its unveiling as a card grading company if I recall correctly. So yes, I think it is fair to have some questions and ask why PSA gets a pass.
There have been rumors abounding for many years that the whole grading gala for the T206 rollout Wagner by PSA and Mastro was a staged event from the get go. As the story goes, Bad Bill approached, I guess, Collector's Universe brass with the Wagner in hand (yet trimmed or not, who knows?) and basically said, 'let's make a deal.' -- perhaps something like I will pay you
X to make this T206 Wagner Wonder Card the first card you grade, but it must be a nrmt/mt 8. The publicity for both of us will be terrific etc. etc.
Perhaps just another urban legend about this sad chapter in hobby history.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:34 PM
Ed Jensen

I am one of the many collectors who prefer raw cards to graded. I frankly find the obsession over a 6 vs. a 7 vs. an 8, which to my eye look virtually the same (and all nice) to be uninteresting. But I do understand the financial implications of those differences, and therefore strongly believe that any company that performs this service has a fiduciary obligation to be consistent and accurate in its performance.

But at an even more base level, many collectors like me have been told that we should buy slabbed cards whenever we are purchasing something of any real value as protection against buying a fake or tampered card. Now while I believe that PSA catches the fakes, the fact that I cannot confidently believe that a slabbed card has not in fact been tampered with simply gives me yet another reason to stay aware from them altogether.