NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-29-2015, 07:31 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default What is the one card

You will look back in 5 years and say "IN 2015 YOU COULD HAVE BOUGHT THAT FOR A FEW THOUSAND DOLLARS!"
Old 11-29-2015, 09:03 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Totally not an answer for the prewar section but if I had the extra cash to devote I would be stocking up on 1984-85 Star 101 Jordans. I see those breaking the 10k mark within far less than 5 years. They are already building at a good pace.

The other card that will be skyrocketing in a few years is modern too. I see high grade Chipper Jones Desert Shield cards tripling in 2018 for his HOF election. The investors are just starting to get to that one. It would be a short window, but dumping them then could bring a nice profit.

Prewar has investment too, but it really goes on trends and I find very hard to predict. For everything that I can say I remember when I could get it for a few thousand there are just as many that I say the same thing for in reverse, meaning it sells for less than it used to.

That's why I buy what I like and the future be damned.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:43 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Justin - thx. Interesting ideas.

Collect what you like indeed. I'm strictly a vintage collector so the Chippers of the world don't ring my bell at all but great player. Killed my Mets a few 100 times.

Thing that strikes me as odd about the Jordans of the world is that there were so many cards, so many series. I have a buddy who used to buy tons of them off of TV shows. Holographic foreign language Jordans. I kid you not. He gave me a whole collection of them, all grade 10, and all basically valueless. I can see why Satchel Paige cards are worth a mint. There ain't many of them. But why one Jordan card is worth a mint and the next one not wprth putting in an envelope and selling to someone for a few bucks I will never be able to decipher.

Other thing about the newer cards is I assume the real universe of them is so unknown.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 11-29-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:06 PM
je.sse @rnot

I'm hoping the 1925 Exhibit Gehrig RC is that card. I think it has as good a chance as any right now. For a modern card I like the orange border Cal Ripken minor league pre-rookie.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 11-29-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:43 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I'm hoping the 1925 Exhibit Gehrig RC is that card. I think it has as good a chance as any right now. For a modern card I like the orange border Cal Ripken minor league pre-rookie.
Either one of the Gehrig RC's, the Exhibit or w590 to the Goudeys . we saw the outragous price on that nice 2 in auction, was like 12k
As for the Orange Cal, its already considered the modern whale, love the much scarcer version indeed
But theres other forms, like the Frank Thomas NNO that fetch good $ on pwcc near 2k (psa8) and a Bgs 8.5 for 2075 sold
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 11-29-2015, 04:37 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Tiger Woods Rookie, that baby is gonna skyrocket when he makes his big comeback. I smell a string of 8 majors in a row coming.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:39 PM
Michael Br0wne

Count me with those who believe the Gehrig rookie 1925 exhibit card will be the next hobby "it" card. Very low pop but enough to start circulating after that Heritage sale. Additionally he's always been the name on people's tongues right after The Babe. Player stats boggle the mind and he also has the cultural icon status. Perfect storm.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:14 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsBaseball1973 View Post
Count me with those who believe the Gehrig rookie 1925 exhibit card will be the next hobby "it" card. Very low pop but enough to start circulating after that Heritage sale. Additionally he's always been the name on people's tongues right after The Babe. Player stats boggle the mind and he also has the cultural icon status. Perfect storm.
From the looks of the last few sales that boat might have left the dock (on getting one for less than an arm and a leg). Great card though and an early raw card I bought as NM-MT and came back EX+ then I think eventually ended up in some TPG's 6 holder. Good ole Hal bought mine back in the day.

Last edited by Leon; 12-02-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:38 PM
Bob B.

Baseball Bats Wagner
Old 12-02-2015, 07:49 PM
Pete Sycks

A 55 cello pack with a Clemente and Mays in it

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 12-02-2015, 08:05 PM

E90-1's...
Old 12-03-2015, 01:46 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I think it will definitely be the E90-1 Cy Young Boston, the rare and elusive football helmet variation card. I do know somebody who has one. Ha!
Old 12-03-2015, 06:05 PM
S Gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdenny View Post
E90-1's...
Old 12-03-2015, 10:00 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

...(only) 'A FEW THOUSAND DOLLARS'?

That's so 2014
But, I guess if you push, I'll say a 'Black Swamp' card.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 12-03-2015 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:44 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
From the looks of the last few sales that boat might have left the dock (on getting one for less than an arm and a leg). Great card though and an early raw card I bought as NM-MT and came back EX+ then I think eventually ended up in some TPG's 6 holder. Good ole Hal bought mine back in the day.
There's a hammered one that's been up on ebay forever that you could probably get for a little under 4k. That might seem like a bargain in a few years. But yea that 6 would be a nice one to have right now. If a 2 went for 12k that could be a 30-50k card in the right auction.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:16 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Totally not an answer for the prewar section but if I had the extra cash to devote I would be stocking up on 1984-85 Star 101 Jordans. I see those breaking the 10k mark within far less than 5 years. They are already building at a good pace.

The other card that will be skyrocketing in a few years is modern too. I see high grade Chipper Jones Desert Shield cards tripling in 2018 for his HOF election. The investors are just starting to get to that one. It would be a short window, but dumping them then could bring a nice profit.

Prewar has investment too, but it really goes on trends and I find very hard to predict. For everything that I can say I remember when I could get it for a few thousand there are just as many that I say the same thing for in reverse, meaning it sells for less than it used to.

That's why I buy what I like and the future be damned.
That first idea is not so good. They were still printing the '84-85 Jordans in the '90's, which is why PSA won't grade them. Our guess at the time was that of the original print run of 4,000, 14,000 or so were still around in NrMt-Mt or better, a hardly likely scenario for cards originally distributed at NBA arenas to kids and non-collectors. They were prevalent, and one dealer even had the audacity to claim exclusivity almost a decade after the initial print run.

I do like the Desert Shield Chipper Jones--6700 print run or so, and most (although not nearly all) actually went overseas, where they were roughly handled. Get one in NrMt-Mt TPG or better, and you'll do fine, even in the long run.

Larry A. Smith

Last edited by ls7plus; 12-04-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:22 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Might be too late on the '25 Exhibit Gehrig--one in SGC VG popped up on one of my ebay saved searches, and the BIN was $25K.

Happy Collecting,

Larry
Old 12-05-2015, 11:58 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I saw that one as well...i was hoping he mis-listed it and put 2500 instead of 25k.
707 still has his, but will only come off 100 for the B/Offer. But with those projected prices, its a steal for the future to decide.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 12-05-2015, 01:45 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
I saw that one as well...i was hoping he mis-listed it and put 2500 instead of 25k.
707 still has his, but will only come off 100 for the B/Offer. But with those projected prices, its a steal for the future to decide.
I think an Ex would have to get to $100K+ for Levi's to be worth what he's asking, which is perhaps a slight exaggeration, but only slight. On the other hand, if transparent restoration becomes acceptable and his example is restorable (which I personally doubt, with all the material on the front that is missing), it might be worth the gamble. It is definitely a key card, with probably less than 100 total out there.

Good post--keeping thinking with regard to being on the cutting, rather than the trailing, edge of the market (the former will be a lot cheaper if your bets are placed right)!

Larry
Old 12-07-2015, 05:21 PM

I would say any player on the 1919 Whitesox cards will start going up in value that the 100 year mark is just around the corner.

Of course some of these would have to grade pretty high now but I really think you could double or triple your money if you buy now and sell later.

Although I have been wrong before.

Last edited by Wayne; 12-07-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:33 PM
Al Jurgela

Default Negro League HOFers

Personally I am still a firm believer in the Negro League HOFers. Virtually all players pre-1930 have less than 25 examples of all of their cards and many can be had for "merely" a few thousand dollars.
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 12-09-2015, 11:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

about 8 yrs ago I was runner up on a beautiful '52 Mick in a 4-5 holder.....wish I had that to do over again
Old 12-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
You will look back in 5 years and say "IN 2015 YOU COULD HAVE BOUGHT THAT FOR A FEW THOUSAND DOLLARS!"
I just got mine this fall.

Good, thoughtful post,

Larry
Old 12-09-2015, 03:41 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I think that there are some 19th century cards that are low now, which will make a nice come back in a few years.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:00 PM

E107 HOF's and higher grade
Old 12-09-2015, 05:21 PM

I'm gonna perhaps go against the grain a little and say T206 Cobbs and 1933 Goudey Ruths in PSA/SGC 4 and higher will be > $10K soon. They are not that scarce but have been skyrocketing in the last couple of years. Pricing is a function of supply and demand but collectors (including me) have a tendency to weigh scarcity too heavily when thinking about vintage card pricing/investment potential.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:43 PM
Mike

Years ago I needed just 1 card to complete my 1952 Topps Set. The card was # 311 Mickey Mantle in Ex + shape for $ 500. At the time this was a high price. Wish I could have seen into the future ? I can still see it sitting inside a showcase at a show.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:12 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Interesting point on weighing scarcity too heavily. There are cards I've seen when total graded pop is under 50 and there isn't great demand for them. Then you get the 54 Mantles and based on the rapidly escalating craziness you would think there were 25 of those, and that's far from the truth. I guess it's the old adage "a thing is worth what the market says its worth".

Last edited by Snapolit1; 12-09-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:04 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
I'm gonna perhaps go against the grain a little and say T206 Cobbs and 1933 Goudey Ruths in PSA/SGC 4 and higher will be > $10K soon. They are not that scarce but have been skyrocketing in the last couple of years. Pricing is a function of supply and demand but collectors (including me) have a tendency to weigh scarcity too heavily when thinking about vintage card pricing/investment potential.
I'm guilty of this was well. Could end up a card's scarcity/rarity may hurt its value. Not enough of them come up for sale to start a rush on demand.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
I'm guilty of this was well. Could end up a card's scarcity/rarity may hurt its value. Not enough of them come up for sale to start a rush on demand.
The story of my life in collecting...
Old 08-22-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
20 months later . . . .

Cobb (Green) PSA 4 = $10,100

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Ty-Cobb...torefresh=true
Old 08-22-2017, 09:29 PM
A.J. Johnson

The Gehrig exhibit call out was pretty smart. What's next?
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 08-22-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
33 Goudey Gehrigs have been on fire lately too . . .
Old 08-22-2017, 10:52 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
That's the post I referred to recently (in the "Best investment in 5 years" thread) where I mentioned an old post that convinced me to buy the 25 Gehrig! I was on the fence for weeks and reading that post was the final little shove I needed.
Thanks Jessie!!!!!

Last edited by orly57; 08-22-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:14 AM
A.J. Johnson

Yeah Jesse called that one. nice work there. Just wish I had read it back then... :-(
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time