NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-23-2017, 12:43 PM
Todd Schultz

Default Is this the same card?

If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by Leon; 08-23-2017 at 02:34 PM. Reason: moved and edited title to reflect it
Old 08-23-2017, 12:48 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

It sure looks like it to me

Member since 2009
Old 08-23-2017, 01:19 PM
Todd Schultz

Default Me too, Andrew

I meant to post this in the main forum, where it presumably would get more response. Oh well.

The more puzzling question for me is the motivation behind resubmitting the card. It was an SGC 60 until it sold on ebay just last month--July 5th to be exact. Now it's in Goodwin's auction as an SGC 20.

I'm not implying anything sinister by anyone--just observing what seems very odd. After winning the card on ebay July 5, someone likely waited 3-5 days for it to arrive. He then cracked it out or sent it in on what would likely be an accelerated basis for a new grade, had it graded and returned, was apparently unhappy and then consigned to Goodwin, all in the space of little more than a month.

It's weird to even resubmit the card. Cards with any kind of stamping stand a good chance of being downgraded severely (even if unfairly). Hoping for a bump in grade seems farfetched. Moreover, if there are any set collectors at all for this issue, they are not going to be so picky about condition so as to pass on an SGC 60 or pay exceptionally more for a card one grade higher. There simply is no active competition that would make it worth the risk of resubmission. Strange, IMO.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:38 PM
Ben North

Looks to be the same card to me. It is weird why someone would crack and resubmit that card with a stamp on it.

I did get a Joe DiMaggio cheap one time because of the same thing. Guy paid top $ for a SGC card and cracked to get that magic PSA cash. PSA gave it a MC qualifier and I got it for about half of what they paid.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:51 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Yes
Old 08-23-2017, 02:52 PM
Sean Costello

It is the same card, and I'm amazed that someone resubmitted it.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:54 PM
pete ullman

same
Old 08-23-2017, 03:08 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Maybe someone sent it in for a re-holder and SGC decided to give it a more deserving grade?
Old 08-23-2017, 03:16 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Given the positioning of the cancelled stamp and the amount of ink transferred from the rubber stamp to the card those are 100% the same card in my opinion.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:20 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

I am not an expert on the issue but possibly the "cancelled" designation in the original grade was in error and the card was sent back in to reflect the accurate grade based on the back stamp? The new holder does not show the "cancelled" designation.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:08 PM
Todd Schultz

Greg, I don't disagree with you that yours is a possible explanation. What makes it strange, though, is why someone who bought the card just a month ago would want to take it upon himself to seek a lower grade, and then on an expedited turnaround time no less, when he was thinking of consigning it and likely assuring himself of a lower sales price. The stamping is obvious, and would not deceive any buyer who was thinking of buying it, so I can't see him feeling there was some moral high road in having it downgraded. If anything, IMO someone unfamiliar with the card's history would wonder if there is slight paper loss, erasure or unseen creasing that led to the card's grade of fair.

Just all in all bizarre to me.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:33 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Hi Todd,

Maybe SGC bought back the card or compensated the buyer and downgraded it? I think SGC might provide you with some basic info if you were to write or call them. But I agree that it does seem odd based on the timeline you have suggested.

Greg